sir douglas

Eyemouth O gauge 1906ish or 1923ish

I thought you might be interested to see my N gauge version of the station building at Eyemouth.  No glazing until it is painted; I presume your colour scheme is authentic.  Also do you have any detailed information on the large house at the end of the yard?  The porch facing the station yard appears to be on the first floor level, photos seem to indicate that there was a retaining wall between the approach to this and the lower garden.  Even using Google Earth, it is unclear if this is still the case to date.

P1090749.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Posted (edited)

hi John, the colours are as Shez told me is the standard NB station colour scheme (dark brown frame, cream panelling and white window frame) which is suggested as almost the same as Southern brown and cream. this is correct until repainting by the LNER at some point after 1923 but ive assumed the cream for the triangle roof louvre vent. and at some point the canopy valance was cut back

About the house at the end, i dont have anything as i havent researched it because it isnt on our layout and i believe the garden is a few feet lower than the entrance/platform level based on photos and this street view from across the river

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8691173,-2.0897743,3a,25.8y,271.46h,85.27t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szZ6yeISYqJg1k-W1dcGoyg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DzZ6yeISYqJg1k-W1dcGoyg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D51.771503%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by sir douglas

Just thought that I would confirm that work is still going on on the stock in partial lockdown.  The J21 and The NBR tank are both currently in the paintshop.  Joining them are an NBR 4 wheel brake third, a Reid Horsebox,  a 4 wheel "Singer" type NBR van and an NBR cattle wagon, all completed in the last couple of months.

I am still busy dealing with my late mothers affairs so any spare time is put to modelling rather than posting, but I will try and get some pictures soon.

Stay safe everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

A very nice station building. Very neat.

ive been wondering about at some point to build my own loco for the layout, i like the look of the wheatley Y10, which there is a photo of what looks to be one on the viaduct, i have magazine drawings for it

example photo of the Y10

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-NORTH-BRITISH-RAILWAY/i-tKN9gw4

but maybe instead a GER E4 (T26) . From January 1940 to April 1942 No's 62781 and 62788 were transferred to Tweed mouth just to work the branch. At exhibitions it would be a good conversation stater or a pedant alarm for "you cant run a great eastern on a scottish layout!" to which can then be rebuttled

example photos of these 2, neither of which while on their northern holiday, there is another photo ive seen with a tender cab, maybe added from this time. i doubt you would need such protection in Essex or Suffolk

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=68051&search=62781

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p733306172/hb197bbb6#hb197bbb6

you might be able to make out the tender cab behind the watermark

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p733306172/h9ba23c25#h9ba23c25

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think the problem with Y10 0-4-0 is there were only two of them, generally on mineral workings in Fife or the Motherwell area. Also the driving wheels were an odd tee cross section. I can probably find a drawing if you’re mad for it.

A good choice for an exGER loco would be a J69 0-6-0T, twenty of these were spread round the NBR system on shunting duties. Two of them appeared on the Lauder branch, which needed a light axleweight engine, so they had the side tanks empty, and towed a tender around, which might start an animated discussion at a show.

AFE12153-E01D-4F4B-9C3A-5D42577F576C.jpeg.ddc5a1616d8ce0553e2aafbe83190473.jpeg

• Like 4

Interesting yes but so far no written or photo evidence that J69's worked the branch. i didnt know about the E4's until i got the Bylines article. ive got drawings for the Y10. Model Railway News 1952 and Railway Modeller 1966

ive had photos of an Engineer article (6th july 1894) for a while but only just noticed the drawing for the toll bridge portal and river retaining wall

close up of bridge drawing

364763301_articleeyemouthengineer(1)B.jpg.416ff61598f056451b2ac08b5297887b.jpg

The article also shows the harbour extension

1577803630_articleeyemouthengineer(3)B.jpg.3595c2e0014904f1abc1d9f20c33ce0a.jpg

article eyemouth engineer (2).jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

I'm following this with interest. My Dad was brought up in Eyemouth and I know the place really well, up to 1980 anyway. My parents were married in the church behind the station in 1959. Keep up the good work. 

Cheers

David

• Like 1

In reality number of ex GER, NER and GNR ended up North of the Border, by no means complete list but F4 F7 J69 in various guises including the 2 Lauder examples, B12,  D1 J21 J71 and J72 

As I recall the reason was axle load especially after the demise of the D51.

This resulted in the tender J69 solution. I also seem to recall the D1 's weren't that popular   

do you think this could be a J36 on the viaduct? 2 other things to note are the 2 dumb buffer wagons and that the earthwork is still fresh and not yet any grass

1546910632_photoeyemouthviaductJ36.jpg.c4707b9e0284a40d5739c3a2413543f3.jpg

• Like 1

It might be a Drummond D class 0-6-0 (later J34?) there is a photo of one published, where it is incorrectly described as a J21.

5 minutes ago, Regularity said:

It might be a Drummond D class 0-6-0 (later J34?) there is a photo of one published, where it is incorrectly described as a J21.

I would say it's a bigger loco than the D. Not seen photos of one with that type of cab whereas there's plenty of C/J36s with it, were they all built with round cabs or was it just some builders?

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/GG6KDC/nbr-0-6-0-steam-locomotive-no775-of-the-lner-j36-class-at-edinburgh-GG6KDC.jpg

Strange mixing an NB D with a J21, the NB C perhaps as the NER C became J21.

11 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

I would say it's a bigger loco than the D. Not seen photos of one with that type of cab whereas there's plenty of C/J36s with it, were they all built with round cabs or was it just some builders?

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/GG6KDC/nbr-0-6-0-steam-locomotive-no775-of-the-lner-j36-class-at-edinburgh-GG6KDC.jpg

Strange mixing an NB D with a J21, the NB C perhaps as the NER C became J21.

After a second look, I agree: it has a Holmes cab, which rather rules out a “wee Drummond”.

I would say it’s a “Wheatley Goods” as rebuilt by Holmes, LNER class J31. The thing that settles it for me is the tender, with high slab sides and no coal rails, very Wheatley look to it. It would be very likely to be given branch line mixed traffic duties, and leave main line haulage to the more modern Drummond and Holmes classes. Isn’t that a marvellous train make up?

7CB1597B-9086-44D8-A254-D5DE1B962FD3.jpeg.6d5edc4a9fd671a62772b46c5107e15d.jpeg

• Like 1

and a similar angle from about 1950, its a screenshot from an NLS video (14:03) of a J21 what looks to be 65067 which was Tweedmouth based at the time

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/7953?search_term=eyemouth&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

a little bit of research give this shot as in 1949 to 51, the previous shot in the film is dated 1949 of the viaduct reopening after strengthening work to the base and this loco moved to Heaton and scrapped in 51 (according to brdatabase.info)

video capture 1 (5) 65067.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1