D&S Models

Rumblestripe

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Thanks, I'm sure I will thoroughly enjoy destroying them into something resembling what they're supposed to look like.

I'm laughing because I did just the same with a Phoenix/BSL 4-COR kit, 4-RES kit and a 2-HAL kit some years back.  A fine metal scribe and a fettling tool are almost indispensible.  The older kits can be a bit of a challenge but you can get them to scrub up very nicely... eventually.

Pete T.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I believe they are/were used as the basis for coaching stock at Pendon.

Stephen Williams describes building an LSWR Ironclad* in vol 2 of his books on coach building.

*could rtr manufacturers please wait until I've got all I need from building kits BEFORE announcing their production runs of LSWR Ironclads!

Edited by Tim Dubya
link added
  • Like 1

The chap has a business to run and as you say he has invested a sizeable sum in it, it looks like business is quite brisk especially as his business is not widely known. Good luck to him. There are folk  (who may be time poor) who are willing to pay a premium for online easy access items, no harm in giving them a service and he is not forcing anyone to buy from him.

Looking at the prices some are certainly full retail. As for the currently available items, I personally would rather top up the manufactures bank account. But then I am a cheapskate and would rather bide my time and wait for the odd item I still want at what I consider is a reasonable price

I do not agree with having to pay a premium for all kits that are no longer available. In a few cases this may be true, either for the very rare items or discontinued top of the range items. Certainly with some of the older whitemetal kits, most should be heavily discounted when compared against todays prices

Anyway, the market will decide what is an appropriate price

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I do not agree with having to pay a premium for all kits that are no longer available. In a few cases this may be true, either for the very rare items or discontinued top of the range items. Certainly with some of the older whitemetal kits, most should be heavily discounted when compared against todays prices

And I'd absolutely agree with you.  Some are worth paying a bit of a premium for - it depends on quality and how passionately you relish the opportunity to buy them again.  Desirability, in short.  However, some are pretty awful and don't bear scrutiny, or price parity, with modern equivalents. 

I remember many decades ago getting all excited as a young and impressionable teenager about getting into 'proper' railway modelling with my first kits, some bought as Christmas presents for me, so the pressure was on to really do something with them.  The disappointment (and embarrassment, on behalf of my dad's wallet) of, no matter how long I took and how careful I was, not being able to turn them into something recognisable and capable of running on my railway was palpable.  Looking back on them, they were a bit of a baptism of fire: an MTK class 52 Western, a K's Q1 and a K's Palvan were among the first.  The former, in particular, was little more than an expensive fishing weight.  I see kits like these from that era still being exchanged for somebody's good, hard earned money these days and I grimace inside.  Some really are not worth more than the value of the raw material and can't hold a candle to modern equivalents - or better quality kits of their own era.

Please excuse a quick digression that follows my memories above.  Some of the kits from my early attempts came from Tony Collett's wonderful old shop in Winter Road, Southsea (others came from Holts in Swansea).  He had limitless time for his customers and gave me loads of advice, teaching me several skills including how to solder whitemetal neatly.  If he had the back door open in the shop, you could see Great Western nameplates and cabsides all the way up the stairwell, as far as you could see.  A shop full of wonderment for a teenage railway enthusiast.  A genuinely lovely man to deal with, too, who never looked for favours by return and one who encouraged me to save and improve many of my early somewhat shambolic attempts at kit building.

Pete T.

• Like 5

Pete

Holts in Swansea is where I got several of my K's loco kits from, think they discounted them. As for Palvan's I have a few and the wagons to match. Also have both the K's and SEF Q1's something about them being so quirky

I have both the MTK Western and Warship locos in the to build pile. Going to Paddington station was my treat and I still remember both classes waiting to pull the mainline trains westwards, as you say large paperweights, but they do have a certain charm.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Holts in Swansea is where I got several of my K's loco kits from, think they discounted them. As for Palvan's I have a few and the wagons to match. Also have both the K's and SEF Q1's something about them being so quirky

I have both the MTK Western and Warship locos in the to build pile. Going to Paddington station was my treat and I still remember both classes waiting to pull the mainline trains westwards, as you say large paperweights, but they do have a certain charm.

You're right about Holts, they were the cheapest for K's kits.  A lot of mine came from them.  As I got better at it, some actually progressed from being whitemetal buffer stops into half decent rolling stock.  The one I never got right, though, was the K's Terrier.  I should have just thrown the wheels away and got Romfords instead.  The K's wheels never even looked like Terrier wheels.  Some K's kits were better than others and were actually so successful I still have them now, 40-odd years later, and they still work ok, a Lord Nelson (very, very heavy) and an LBSC K class included.

MTK - I built several more MTK kits but was never satisfied with the proportions or the general look of them.  I still have one I never got around to building - a 4-SUB or Bulleid 2-HAP, I can't remember which at present - and I doubt I ever will get around to it.

You're right again, Paddington was a treat in the hydraulic era... but then so was King's Cross, straining your eyes to see what was in Passenger Loco yard!  I once got thrown out of Old Oak Common twice in one day, by the same foreman...

Pete T.

4 hours ago, PJT said:

And I'd absolutely agree with you.  Some are worth paying a bit of a premium for - it depends on quality and how passionately you relish the opportunity to buy them again.  Desirability, in short.  However, some are pretty awful and don't bear scrutiny, or price parity, with modern equivalents.

Please excuse a quick digression that follows my memories above.  Some of the kits from my early attempts came from Tony Collett's wonderful old shop in Winter Road, Southsea (others came from Holts in Swansea).  He had limitless time for his customers and gave me loads of advice, teaching me several skills including how to solder whitemetal neatly.  If he had the back door open in the shop, you could see Great Western nameplates and cabsides all the way up the stairwell, as far as you could see.  A shop full of wonderment for a teenage railway enthusiast.  A genuinely lovely man to deal with, too, who never looked for favours by return and one who encouraged me to save and improve many of my early somewhat shambolic attempts at kit building.

Pete T.

Hear hear Pete, on both counts. On the first, I have been after the DS GN 6-wheel brake for many years, so today I got one ordered . I've missed opportunities before, so despite the higher price, I bit the bullet and its on its way. Quality always sells.

On the second point, I too visited Tony Collett in Winter road in the mid 70s I was a novice modeller (late 20s) and advised to visit his shop. I lived a few streets away, so very convenient. His knowledge and lovely manner is legend in these parts and I still have the Stephen Poole E4 kit I bought from him. I also have a few of his lithograph  PO wagon overlays. Happy days and happy memories...............

Tod

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

I also have a few of his lithograph  PO wagon overlays. Happy days and happy memories...............

What, you mean like these?1715488500_Sheet1.jpg.ea4652091b7b2616c6d8e92d3e5fc33c.jpg407962155_Sheet2.jpg.605fd79f526e5baa1862a5be84600a6d.jpg

Yes, I still have them, too!

Pete T.

• Like 1

I spoke with Danny in 2018 about some GER corridor kits in 4mm and they were on his list to do and he hoped to have them in 2019. In a later exchange by post he admitted these were still on the list but due to various factors, weren't expected any time in the immediate future. The estimated price at that stage was circa £55.

On the strength of that, and having seen several go for up to £112 on ebay, I felt that WM's £72 was a fair price to pay. Just have to build them now! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, PJT said:

What, you mean like these?1715488500_Sheet1.jpg.ea4652091b7b2616c6d8e92d3e5fc33c.jpg407962155_Sheet2.jpg.605fd79f526e5baa1862a5be84600a6d.jpg

Yes, I still have them, too!

Pete T.

Aren't they nice, I never got round to building any though. I must dig them out of hiding and consider building one. A bit of nostalgia and a memory of Tony, but, the imminent arrival of the D&S kit will have priority over all other "nice to do" jobs!

Tod

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Aren't they nice, I never got round to building any though. I must dig them out of hiding and consider building one. A bit of nostalgia and a memory of Tony, but, the imminent arrival of the D&S kit will have priority over all other "nice to do" jobs!

Thought you'd enjoy that little flashback  to a simpler world with simpler modelmaking.

On the back of each one, in Tony's pencil, is written '22p per pair'.

Bargain! 

Enjoy making your full brake kit.

Pete T.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I'll check in a couple of kit boxes this evening

I've just checked my D&S carriage kit boxes, which didn't take long, as there's only one.  It is a GER 50' BTK and has an identical DS-12-D1 etch for the bogies.

D

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/04/2021 at 15:31, rustynuts said:

Thanks all, I'll mark them up as such.

Don'suppose anyone could let me have a scan of the instructions for said bogie?

Paul

Paul,

believe this should be what you are looking for.CC600318-2C8B-41D0-8A80-A9786A6D3099.jpeg.2486c3244a8f01a97caa6e27551b03c9.jpeg

best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone have an update on D&S Models, specifically if Dan is still trading? And if he is, does anyone have his contact details please? 

I've managed to acquire a bargain from eBay in the form of a built set of his 7mm scale kit for the W&U tramcars, but they are missing most of the castings. I'd like to try and acquire a set of the castings if possible, but I can't see him listed on the UK Model Shops Directory, and I don't have a copy of the catalogue from the last time I saw him at Guildex or Kettering.

Ta muchly folks. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. As I said in my previous post I couldn't find the latest copy of his catalogue that I had, nor have I ever heard of supplier.txt - as a 7mm scale modeller I'm not surprised as it appears to be primarily concerned with 4mm stuff. 

58 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

Thanks. As I said in my previous post I couldn't find the latest copy of his catalogue that I had, nor have I ever heard of supplier.txt - as a 7mm scale modeller I'm not surprised as it appears to be primarily concerned with 4mm stuff. 

If you actually read it, you will find the D&S contact details are listed in supplier.txt .

CJI.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

If you actually read it, you will find the D&S contact details are listed in supplier.txt .

CJI.

CJI If you actually read NeilHB’s reply you will find that he’d not heard of supplier.txt, not that he hadn’t read the list….

Can we have a stop being an idiot button?!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’d never heard of that webpage before either. A first glance at the opening entries reveals contact details for a retailer which went out of business at least six years ago* (probably longer). On that basis you can understand why people might want to ask your local friendly(?!) online forum if anyone has genuinely up to date details…

Richard T

* C&G Models of Darlington. If anyone knows who compiles the supplier.txt page could this info be passed onto them?

Edited by RichardT
Adding ps
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

CJI If you actually read NeilHB’s reply you will find that he’d not heard of supplier.txt, not that he hadn’t read the list….

Can we have a stop being an idiot button?!!

The OP asked for the contact details of D&S.

A response quoted a link; the link provides said details - being alphabetic it took me seconds to find them, despite not being previously aware of suppliers.txt .

Therefore, I reasonably concluded that the OP had not read the relevant content of the link.

Not the conclusion of an idiot, thank you,  but that of a perfectly logical mind!

If one asks for help, at least have the courtesy to read that help when it is provided - or are we to spell it out in BLOCK CAPITALS?

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk