D&S Models

Rumblestripe

52 minutes ago, RichardT said:

* C&G Models of Darlington. If anyone knows who compiles the supplier.txt page could this info be passed onto them?

Supplier.txt isn't a website, it's only a page on the Central London Area Group (CLAG) of the Scalefour Society that lists details of suppliers who may be of interest to 'finescale' modellers.  The top of the page states that corrections and additions to the list of supplier details should be sent to Russ Elliot (russelliot  @  nltworld.com).

I know nothing about C&G Models of Darlington except I think I once bought something from them at an exhibition several years ago.  Looking at Google Streetview, there appears to be a business with the same phone number as C&G Models on the corner of Parkgate and Borough Street in July 2009, called North Eastern Models, but it seems to have become a tearoom and coffee shop by the time the October 2012 image was taken, so I think I have to conclude that the Supplier.txt web page is perhaps not necessarily all that up to date. 

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The OP asked for the contact details of D&S.

A response quoted a link; the link provides said details - being alphabetic it took me seconds to find them, despite not being previously aware of suppliers.txt .

Therefore, I reasonably concluded that the OP had not read the relevant content of the link.

Not the conclusion of an idiot, thank you,  but that of a perfectly logical mind!

If one asks for help, at least have the courtesy to read that help when it is provided - or are we to spell it out in BLOCK CAPITALS?

CJI.

I actually found your response quite rude and condescending! 

I did says thanks to Jonathan for providing the link (and therefore allowing me to get the contact details), and noted that although the address for D&S hadn’t changed, I wouldn’t know that as (having previously pointed out) I couldn’t find my copy of his catalogue that I had! 

Being a 7mm scale modeller I wasn’t surprised to have not come across the resource before, given that it solely catered for 4mm scale. 

Therefore I am able to come to the same conclusion as Andrew! 

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

I actually found your response quite rude and condescending! 

Take it as you wish - the essential point is that you were provided with the information that you asked for - but you did not thank the poster for doing so; indeed, you did not even acknowledge that the information had been provided.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold

I will - you were rude. Plain and simple.

I really can’t be bothered to argue with you, as you’ll only win with experience. 

I did thank Jonathan - the first word of my response was “Thanks”. 

Next time I’ll put it in block capitals. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Take it as you wish - the essential point is that you were provided with the information that you asked for - but you did not thank the poster for doing so; indeed, you did not even acknowledge that the information had been provided.

How does your 'perfectly logical mind' come to that conclusion?

6 hours ago, NeilHB said:

Thanks. As I said in my previous post I couldn't find the latest copy of his catalogue that I had, nor have I ever heard of supplier.txt - as a 7mm scale modeller I'm not surprised as it appears to be primarily concerned with 4mm stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The OP asked for the contact details of D&S.

A response quoted a link; the link provides said details - being alphabetic it took me seconds to find them, despite not being previously aware of suppliers.txt .

Therefore, I reasonably concluded that the OP had not read the relevant content of the link.

Not the conclusion of an idiot, thank you,  but that of a perfectly logical mind!

If one asks for help, at least have the courtesy to read that help when it is provided - or are we to spell it out in BLOCK CAPITALS?

CJI.

Interesting that from the OP saying Thanks and then explaining why he’d not heard of the link before your “logical mind” concluded that he hadn’t read the link rather than how my supposedly logical mind interpreted as thanking someone for providing the link. Maybe it’s you who needs the BLOCK CAPITALS…?

• Agree 4

Trying to keep the supplier.txt up to date is a constant battle, and I wouldn't have a chance unless people notify me of updates. In that sense, it's a sort of collective effort, albeit a very imperfect one. I must admit I haven't given it as much attention in the last few years as I perhaps should have done, and there will come a time soon when I will have to consider closing the operation. It's getting on for 25 years old, which is a ripe old age for any webpage.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mark Hamlin said:

Has Danny put out any of his lists lately of available kits? I managed to get a couple of fantastic kits this way a few years ago when someone kindly posted it on here

No he hasn't, the last time I popped in to see him (just pre-Covid) he was busy with family matters. We have corresponded since by letter, so it might be worth dropping him a note and asking if there is something in particular you're looking for.

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine recently made an enquiry by telephone about the possibility of getting hold of some 4mm scale GER carriage kits and was provided with a list of the GER models that are currently available. This was in the last couple of months.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

Has there been anything in regards to contacting D&S in the last year or so? A number of people, myself included, are curious if he has anything in regards to his 4mm W&U Tram coach kits still. A friend called him up a year ago and i believe he was told that he'd be contacted again in a couple weeks and be informed if they could find anything but nothing ever came from that.

As a 7mm modeller, I would very much like to see some D&S kits in that scale.  I did find one at Steamline some time ago, LNER Utility Van which came out very well.

I confess I haven't gone through the entire thread so that info might already have been imparted.

John

It's also worth remembering that when Danny stopped producing 4mm kits after Sylvia passed away, many of the whitemetal ones were sold to ABS.   Most of them never reappeared.   As that range has been acquired and there is an intention to return it to market we may see some of the kits reappear via that route.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, brossard said:

As a 7mm modeller, I would very much like to see some D&S kits in that scale.  I did find one at Steamline some time ago, LNER Utility Van which came out very well.

I confess I haven't gone through the entire thread so that info might already have been imparted.

John

D&S are still selling 7mm kits, they were at the GOG spring show at Kettering.

Not all kit producers have embraced the modern electronic world, or want lots of orders.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Nile said:

D&S are still selling 7mm kits, they were at the GOG spring show at Kettering.

Not all kit producers have embraced the modern electronic world, or want lots of orders.

Thanks, but not sure what to say.  Being in Canada, getting to UK shows is a non starter.  I will just have to keep my eyes open.

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

These pages from Dan's list are around 15 years old so the prices are only a guide but AFAIK the range has not changed very much. Dan only holds a certain amount of stock and not the full range of kits. If there is anything in particular you are interested in I can call Dan on your behalf to check availability, although these days I'm not sure if he is up to dealing with export orders. If there is anything in particular let me know by PM.

d&s2009_01.jpg

d&s2009_02.jpg

d&s2009_03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

35 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

These pages from Dan's list are around 15 years old so the prices are only a guide but AFAIK the range has not changed very much. Dan only holds a certain amount of stock and not the full range of kits. If there is anything in particular you are interested in I can call Dan on your behalf to check availability, although these days I'm not sure if he is up to dealing with export orders. If there is anything in particular let me know by PM.

d&s2009_01.jpg

d&s2009_02.jpg

d&s2009_03.jpg

That is a very long list, quite overwhelming really.  I haven't got anything specifically in mind and would need to do the research to determine which ones suit.

Thanks for the list.

John