D&S Models

Rumblestripe

• 2 years later...

Hi to who ever you are basically I have been aware of this problem for a long time and yes D&S coaches do look the part. Now there are a number of NER loco and wagon kits out there but there no coach or CCT kits out there now. Yes the range always needs an improvement but as far as passenger stock is concerned it needs a drastic shake up, otherwise pointless. Anyway my e-mail is pdball242@yahoo.co.uk if you want to talk to me. I am designing some kits at the moment and once it is complete it will be in the model railway press at some point whether its with the Scalefour Society or the NERA.

Regards ;

Peter D. Ball

• Like 4

Peter,

you may not have seen it, but there have been other references to the availability of the D&S range. Danny Pinnock still produces batches of kits and an enquiry always, in my experience, gets a prompt reply. When I last spoke to him he was looking at creating a website, but it hasn't happened yet. His contact details can be found in the Supplier .text section of the CLAG website:

http://www.clag.org.uk/russ/supplier.html

You might wish to contact Danny to get a view on his plans so as to avoid possible duplication of what already is available.

Jol

• Like 3

Hallo Peter,

Have I understood correctly that you are proposing some kits of NER prototypes?  As Jol has said, Danny does still produce lists from time to time and I happen to know that the demand for the NER coaches when he produced them was enormous.

The late John Fozard also produced a number of diagrams which made up very nicely but they vanished with his death and I haven't heard any news of them reappearing.

Chivers Finelines also produced 4mm bogie CCTs but I believe they may be unavailable at the moment.  The 4 wheel kit Roger produced some years ago has never been re-released as far as I know.

Bill Bedford does a  number of diagrams to order as you are probably aware.

Arthur Kimber has been talking about doing some more of the bow ended corridor stock.  He produced a couple of prototypes some years ago which I built but is concentrating on his loco kits for the moment.  Some of that stock would be most welcome.

Please keep us advised of your progress on here, there's always room for pregrouping kits and new manufacturers are always welcome.

• 3 months later...

I've just found some D&S etches ... they're W-irons ... but after being in storage for 20+ years, I've lost the packet they came in and can't remember what they were bought for.

The etch has the number DS520 on it. Can anyone (with an old list) tell me what they're for?

I think they're wagon w-irons. Are they suitable for EM, and do I need any other components to compensation?

Thanks.

I've just found some D&S etches ... they're W-irons ... but after being in storage for 20+ years, I've lost the packet they came in and can't remember what they were bought for.

The etch has the number DS520 on it. Can anyone (with an old list) tell me what they're for?

I think they're wagon w-irons. Are they suitable for EM, and do I need any other components to compensation?

Thanks.

I think these were the standard D&S wagon w-iron. They were certainly used on the various LNWR wagon kits.

They should be suitable for any 4mm gauge, the w-iron width and axle length being the common factor.

You don't need anything else for wagon compensation. The "lozenge" shaped bit in the middle provides the pivot for one w-iron, while the other sits under the wagon floor, the short "legs"! (which have to be filed off the pivoting unit) set the correct height.

post-1191-0-37598800-1428234945.jpg

Edited by LNWRmodeller

• 10 months later...

I've just found this thread, and was wondering if anyone knows of Danny is still purveying limited stocks of his kits? If I know he is, I'll contact him for a list, but don't want to waste his time if he's not doing them anymore.

I'm particularly interested in the LNER 6 wheeled milk vans, and other bits of NE stock.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

J

I've just found this thread, and was wondering if anyone knows of Danny is still purveying limited stocks of his kits? If I know he is, I'll contact him for a list, but don't want to waste his time if he's not doing them anymore.

I'm particularly interested in the LNER 6 wheeled milk vans, and other bits of NE stock.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

J

I have just got 2 NER horseboxes from him in 4mm and have previously had the NER milk vans but that may have been longer ago than a year. I also got some other bits "W" irons and the like last Setember.

• 1 year later...

Does Danny still do the NBR  7mm Horsebox ?

DS207-7 NBR Horse Box Diagram 10 £59-50 according to the 'temporary' 7mm scale catalogue I picked up directly from Dan at an O Gauge event at Bury St Edmunds late last year.

Dan was at GOG telford last year. I didn't see his name down for next weeks show at doncaster. But he doesn't do that many shows these days. You can get him on 01763 288353.

Marc 

A letter gives the recipient to deal with it in his own time and to research the answer. I've always found Danny most helpful and a letter always gets a polite and proper answer.

I know several small suppliers who don't give out their telephone numbers because of the interruption it creates. Many of our Small Suppliers are exactly that, small operations dealing with manufacturing, ordering materials, packing, printing instructions, going to the Post Office, etc. etc. etc. It takes about twenty minutes to pack a 4mm etched loco kit so a friendly chat on the phone can be a significant interruption and often a waste of time from business point of view. Likewise people expect instant answers to emails which sometimes develop into a series of trivial discussions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Dan is alive and well and still developing new items, but in 7mm scale. The cast kits made their way variously to Adrian Swain (ABS) and London Road Models but I believe that some might have gone elsewhere. Dan very sensibly has retained the masters for his 4mm scale etched kits and from time to time it's possible that batches might appear. Certainly those commissioned by the line societies do!

Does anyone have any recent information on ABS?  An order a couple of years back went without reply (and my cheque was never cashed) and I've heard nothing about Adrian or his business recently.  Is he still extant?

Does anyone have any recent information on ABS?  An order a couple of years back went without reply (and my cheque was never cashed) and I've heard nothing about Adrian or his business recently.  Is he still extant?

I may be completely wrong, in which I case I will apologise to whomsoever, but is 'adrianbs' of this Parish, to be found in threads relating to Oxford and Dapol models, one and the same?

Adrian Swain used to appear at Gauge O Guild events, but not lately and ABS is not listed in the Guildex guide for September.

Current contact details are believed to be: Adrian Swain t/a ABS Models / Wrightlines, 39 Napier Road, Poole BH15 4LX tel: 01202 672891

• RMweb Gold

I may be completely wrong, in which I case I will apologise to whomsoever, but is 'adrianbs' of this Parish, to be found in threads relating to Oxford and Dapol models, one and the same?

Adrian Swain used to appear at Gauge O Guild events, but not lately and ABS is not listed in the Guildex guide for September.

Current contact details are believed to be: Adrian Swain t/a ABS Models / Wrightlines, 39 Napier Road, Poole BH15 4LX tel: 01202 672891

Yes, he's also on a couple of other forums. I recently wrote (some weeks ago) asking about the range but have not as yet received a reply.

Yes, he's also on a couple of other forums. I recently wrote (some weeks ago) asking about the range but have not as yet received a reply.

There's a Smaller Suppliers thread already http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107859-temporary-closure-of-abs-models/ but a distinct absence of comment from the proprietor, even though he's been most voluble about other manufacturer's products here and elsewhere, e.g. the LNER Forum, since that temporary closure was announced.

Adrian, has been suffering from Cancer for some time, I was told that it was terminal. I was also told that M&M models (No connection) were supplying some ABS products.   

As a side D&S will be at Telford.

Marc

Adrian, has been suffering from Cancer for some time, I was told that it was terminal. I was also told that M&M models (No connection) were supplying some ABS products.   

As a side D&S will be at Telford.

Marc

I know that is a terrible thing and I recently lost my younger brother to it, but a simple clarification would have prevented all this speculation, unanswered correspondence and such-like. Around 80% of all 'situations' result from failures in communication.

Having said that, ABS parts and kits have been like snakes legs for the past decade or rather longer.

I see that Furness Wagon will be at Guildex too...

Edited by Pint of Adnams

Yes we will be there with a few new things.  Surrounded by plastic castings etches and boxes at the moment. We will have the prototypes of our "Ready to Run" GER tram loco. Also just about to start building the next batch of prototypes. We have started removing white metal castings from all our kits and replacing them with 3D printed plastic or etched brass. I will post the list of new and restocked kits on my blog. its going to be coach and brake van central shortly.

Marc

There's a Smaller Suppliers thread already http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107859-temporary-closure-of-abs-models/ but a distinct absence of comment from the proprietor, even though he's been most voluble about other manufacturer's products here and elsewhere, e.g. the LNER Forum, since that temporary closure was announced.

He hasn't been on the LNER Forum since April .