R3555 Sir William Stanier F.R.S. re-run.

Chamby

• RMweb Gold

So another run of SWS announced today (Rails).

Shame in a way, City of Salford might have been a better option?

Not exactly "another run". AIUI, it's down to only about a third of the intended first run having actually being produced. Presumably you managed to get one?

City of Salford will obviously follow at some point as there aren't a lot of other uses for the tooling. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

So another run of SWS announced today (Rails).

Shame in a way, City of Salford might have been a better option?

I know my steam outline model locomotive interest isn't as great as that of diesels but have they stopped making transfers and etched nameplates?

• Like 2

I know my steam outline model locomotive interest isn't as great as that of diesels but have they stopped making transfers and etched nameplates?

It would also need a full repaint as City Of Salford never carried BR Red.

Expect more in the future as I can't see them tooling up an expensive model and not releasing more livery variants of the two Ivatts. LMS Black, BR Black, BR Blue, BR Green and BR Red with yellow stripe are all possibles. Then you've got the different lettering/crests.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

yes I do this to a lot of my loco’s and stock, together with modifications that recreate a specific locomotive that ran at the location I am modelling. But a lot of folks don’t - either can’t or just don’t want to.

A good number of people would probably buy a RTR City of Salford, but not a second SWS.

• RMweb Premium

The price increase could go one of two ways. Either it could be a great way to get more profits, or they could be left with lots of u sold locos that nobody wants to pay over £200 for. Hopefully it’s the former.

It would also need a full repaint as City Of Salford never carried BR Red.

Expect more in the future as I can't see them tooling up an expensive model and not releasing more livery variants of the two Ivatts. LMS Black, BR Black, BR Blue, BR Green and BR Red with yellow stripe are all possibles. Then you've got the different lettering/crests.

Jason

City Of Salford also had the yellow stripe towards the end of it's time, not sure of the dates of application of the stripe on the cabside.

Edited by brittannia

• RMweb Premium

RRP: £204.99[/size]

Are we now seeing the £200 pound barrier going now for a loco, they are selling it at £179.50.

It's still too low. I was saved from buying the first issue, as it sold out while I was dithering. If the next one doesn't sell so quickly, I may be in danger again. Another £100 would put it safely out of reach - please reconsider, Hornby.

I seem to recall some early photos of SWS with electric cabelling along the right hand side of the boiler. But my memories are not good here. Anybody know more?

The cabling was on both 46256 & 46257 when they were fitted with electric lighting, both carried it from late 1948 until late 1959 when it was removed. The electric lighting does not seem to have been used much in later years as there are many photos of both locos carrying conventional headlamps as well. They looked better without it!.

In answer to "britannia" both locos only carried the yellow stripe for a few weeks from August 1964, as did the rest of the class survivors. 

Edited by sirwilliamfrs

It's still too low. I was saved from buying the first issue, as it sold out while I was dithering. If the next one doesn't sell so quickly, I may be in danger again. Another £100 would put it safely out of reach - please reconsider, Hornby.

In the words of John Mc Enroe, You cannot be serious!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the words of John Mc Enroe, You cannot be serious!

Also, if that hundred quid would enable Hornby to deliver a rock solid quality product that would avoid all the issues and disappointments we saw when the first batch was released, it would be well worth it in my book.

Nope! With all due respect, £200+ is too much, for one locomotive. It's a great model but I suspect they'll be a fair few modellers upset at being priced out of this loco. I worry that these price increases are signs of desperation from Hornby. The gentleman proposing that he'd happily pay £300 should probably take a moment to consider the financial realities of the present time (for most people at least).

• Like 1

The gentleman proposing that he'd happily pay £300 should probably take a moment to consider the financial realities of the present time (for most people at least).

I think he was saying (at first, at least) that if it was priced at £300 it would save him not only £300, but the £200 also.

• RMweb Premium

Nope! With all due respect, £200+ is too much, for one locomotive. It's a great model but I suspect they'll be a fair few modellers upset at being priced out of this loco. I worry that these price increases are signs of desperation from Hornby. The gentleman proposing that he'd happily pay £300 should probably take a moment to consider the financial realities of the present time (for most people at least).

Not saying I could afford £300. I just feel sometimes that it's better to know that something beautiful exists than to posses something that has to be mediocre just so I can afford it.

I mean, they could have done the Sistine Chapel in artex and then we could all have one.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I paid a lot less for mine.

One aspect about selling such as the new SWS is that the older-tooling Duchesses are really very nice and arguably better-made.

I sold my SWS (bought to replace a faulty one, and test-ran it before selling), got about what would have been a UKP160 less-VAT price, and also sold a Rails lined black early BR/LMS version also at a fair price. I have kept an NRM 46229 BR red version, but I think the 2002-2017 versions I own are still very nice, and generally run better, not that the new ones are particularly poor runners.    but anyone can buy a nice older-tooling Duchess for probably around UKP100-130, s/h or 'as new'.

While the new tooling Duchess has better wheel profiles, detail and paint, the production schedules don't show many variants inside the next year or two, and the price is steep for me and others if over UKP200.  

While many of us have pet niggles I find the lack of front brakes on the drivers of the new Duchess pretty poor, compared to many previous models like Britannias.

Even the much-maligned RR DoG has that detail.

I can see why the new CEO is not going to produce may new models, there simply isn't a sufficient market.

• Like 2

It really cracks me up, people jump to point out at an RRP and then not buy a product. Since you clearly said £200+ is too much for a locomotive, then why not buy one of these? Magical price reductions...

£189 - http://www.hattons.co.uk/244019/Hornby_R3555_Class_8P_Princess_Coronation_4_6_2_46256_Sir_William_Stanier_F_R_S_in_BR_maroon/StockDetail.aspx

£179.50 - https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32294/Hornby-r3555-oo-gauge-br-4-6-2-sir-william-a-stanier-f-r-s-princess-coronation-class-modified-late-br-red

£174.25 - https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotives-steam/Hornby-r3555-br-4-6-2-princess-coronation-class-modified-br-red-late-crest-sir-william-a-stanier-frs/