NER coach livery in LNER ownership

Nutford

Re. ex-NER coach liveries in BR days.  This is far from conclusive evidence (as it's a B&W picture!), but here is a cropped part of a photo I bought somewhere or other.  It's an ex-NER coach (D178 I think) taken in 1952: to my eyes it looks to be in crimson (compare the shade with the crimson and cream coach to the right) but I suppose it could be brown?

exNER_E21960E_1952_crop.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is that a paint date on the solebar?

There was an edict that went out in the spring of 1948 to the effect that carriages that were likely to be withdrawn before their next major shopping were to have their brown livery touched up and varnished and those that were were likely to last longer were to be painted in the new BR liveries. As a rule of thumb I've taken this to mean that stock built before 1914 almost certainly remained brown while those built after WW1 were likely to be repainted in BR liveries. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I put that photo through a couple of the online colourising tools which are available.    I'm not suggesting they were accurate, but both made the NER carriage a much darker, redder shade than the Gresley.    I'd imply that that suggests it was brown rather than crimson, personally.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I put that photo through a couple of the online colourising tools which are available.    I'm not suggesting they were accurate, but both made the NER carriage a much darker, redder shade than the Gresley.    I'd imply that that suggests it was brown rather than crimson, personally.

It does seem to be a bit of a conundrum, this photo.

Personally, I think the NER carriage looks slightly darker and the white roof, rather than gray on the Gresley, also suggests brown.

However, as Bill says... (my emphasis)

12 hours ago, billbedford said:

Is that a paint date on the solebar?

that carriages that were likely to be withdrawn before their next major shopping were to have their brown livery touched up and varnished and those that were were likely to last longer were to be painted in the new BR liveries. As a rule of thumb I've taken this to mean that stock built before 1914 almost certainly remained brown while those built after WW1 were likely to be repainted in BR liveries. 

And that coach definitely looks to have just been painted. You can imagine the photographer would have still been able to smell the paint on it!

And yes, that does look like a '52 paint date on the solebar