Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018 - 24th and 25th November

Liam

Any RMWebbers likely to be at the Spoons on Saturday around 13:00?

This may sound like heresy given my impassioned advocacy of gatherings of RMwebbers but I am finding more and more that there is no time for such luxuries!  Last year I was at Warley on the Sunday, as I will be this year.  Once essential supplies had been sourced and purchased, a cuppa consumed with my cousin and his mate, the 'Spoons pilgrimage duly made and being waylaid by all and sundry, I got to see about three layouts.  At 10.15 am I set off to meet a friend on a society stand.  I reached him at 3 pm.  I love to meet fellow RMwebbers but increasingly I find that it must be done on the hoof and not over a pint, be it of beer or tea.  Let us all wear RMweb name badges and make the whole show a gathering!

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This may sound like heresy given my impassioned advocacy of gatherings of RMwebbers but I am finding more and more that there is no time for such luxuries!  Last year I was at Warley on the Sunday, as I will be this year.  Once essential supplies had been sourced and purchased, a cuppa consumed with my cousin and his mate, the 'Spoons pilgrimage duly made and being waylaid by all and sundry, I got to see about three layouts.  At 10.15 am I set off to meet a friend on a society stand.  I reached him at 3 pm.  I love to meet fellow RMwebbers but increasingly I find that it must be done on the hoof and not over a pint, be it of beer or tea.  Let us all wear RMweb name badges and make the whole show a gathering!

Chris

I promise not to keep you talking Chris, anyway I'll be playing trains.

Brian

Chris

Yes, I've never made an RMWeb gathering at Warley because normally I arrive when the doors open at 9:15 and have to be pretty much pushed out at closing time having only just got round everything. Then I see photos on here and think "I don't remember seeing that!". So taking time out during the day would mean missing out on part of the show.

It's a shame Spoons closes the same time the show does as it would be a good place for a post-show meet-up (and having the catering open for an hour or so after closure would spread out the traffic leaving the NEC).

It's a shame Spoons closes the same time the show does as it would be a good place for a post-show meet-up (and having the catering open for an hour or so after closure would spread out the traffic leaving the NEC).

I have never understood this, it seems a missed commercial opportunity as well as spreading out/ smoothing the departing crowds to a degree.

I think the point is that the NEC doesn't really want showgoers hanging around after their show has finished. There's a lot of work that takes place immediately after closing time; shows finishing that day will be in the breakdown phase, the cleaners will be busy in the concourse, on-site traders will be getting deliveries ready for the next day, etc. It makes things simpler and easier to clear the paying public out as quickly as possible.

Also, for Wetherspoons in particular, their alcohol licence may well limit them to only trading while shows are open.

That’s a good point that Chris raises, should we wear RMweb name badges at Warley?

Liam, I think we should wear name badges at any show, especially Warley.  As a species we are notoriously reserved and reluctant to introduce ourselves.  Anyone would think that RMweb is a secret society.   You and I know that nothing could be further from the truth!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Liam, I think we should wear name badges at any show, especially Warley.  As a species we are notoriously reserved and reluctant to introduce ourselves.  Anyone would think that RMweb is a secret society.   You and I know that nothing could be further from the truth!

Chris

Good idea.

• RMweb Gold

That’s a good point that Chris raises, should we wear RMweb name badges at Warley?

hmm, maybe..

I could do a football shirt, but theres a lot of numbers in my name..

post-20773-0-61588400-1542634221.png

ref might not have enough space on his yellow card.

What worries me is he appears to have wrapped the GW loco in Ferrero Roche wrappers, is he practising for a visit to Swindon? That’s a lot of parties with the ambassador

;)

I chose BR lined green ? - but is it ?

Edited by adb968008

There is one at the Airport (although that doesn't constitute an endorsement on my part).

• Administrators

I always skip the crush on the first train leaving at the end of the show, preferring to head over to the airport via the funky horizontal cable-car thingy for a meal. An hour later, you lot have crammed yourselves on trains and cluttered up the motorway in your desperation to leave and civilisation returns. Please continue to do this so and do not follow my example. :onthequiet:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll be there on the saturday - looking froward to catching up with a few people.

I'll be wearing the Bens Resprays Jacket and Polo Shirt so if you see me dont be shy to say hello ...... taking a few examples to show off .....

Ben

Chris

IIRC, didn't you used to make this a two day visit? I agree that to do the finer detail, one day is not enough without prior planning, but even that can lead to missing so much!

Name badge - I will be wearing, hopefully with suitable lanyard (I do not have THE tie!). A focused gathering, IMHO, creates a better fraternal bond than a more global show gathering.

I promise not to keep you talking Chris, anyway I'll be playing trains.

Brian

On which stand?

There is one at the Airport (although that doesn't constitute an endorsement on my part).

That's useful to know anyway - one year the 6.15pm back to Reading was cancelled so I went back into the NEC for something to eat and only found one outlet still open - and even then it was just pre-warmed leftovers.

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Well, if RMweb is a secret society, I've yet to learn the "handshake". Saying that, I've only been here for 9 years - so I've yet to be inducted to the higher levels of the craft.

Joking aside, if it really were a secret society, I wouldn't want anything to do with it - though I couldn't imagine any secret society wanting anything to do with me.

Thankfully, over the years, I've found RMweb - and its members - to be a decent bunch - very welcoming - very inclusive - which might explain why I've been able to be here as long as I have.

IIRC, didn't you used to make this a two day visit? I agree that to do the finer detail, one day is not enough without prior planning, but even that can lead to missing so much!

Name badge - I will be wearing, hopefully with suitable lanyard (I do not have THE tie!). A focused gathering, IMHO, creates a better fraternal bond than a more global show gathering.

On which stand?

Personally, I don't think I'd ever be able to afford to do 2 days of any major hobby show.

As for me being identified at shows, this should be easy - I'd be the guy not wearing a badge. A bunch of guys on the BRM stand suddenly doing a vanishing act might also be a giveaway ... .

Huw.

• Like 2

I will be heading down on Sunday all being well, have not had any time to focus on rail-related stuff due to work this year so a day out at the NEC will be a nice relaxing diversion once again.  I may not need a name tag though, as I might just wear my black trilby to be easily recognisable.

I never take the day seriously - just go in, wander around and look at as many layouts as possible.  I am especially looking forward to seeing the amazing Liverpool Lime Street monument in person (well let's face it, it's far more than a model railway, it's a working monument to the heritage of Liverpool).

And a reminder for those who enjoy a spot of motorsport - on Saturday evening there is a banger race meeting at Wheels Raceway, near Adderley Park station ;)

Edited by Dave Goddard

Just incase no one knows...

Somethings to look forward to at Warley:-
- Heljan as per a post on facebook they'll have something announced/surprise at Warley.
- Accurascale has something to announce
- There'll be something interesting on the T-Gauge.com stand (if it makes it in time)
- Rapido apparently have something
- KMRC are also getting something.
- Revolution Trains will also be revealing a model.
- Hatton's have already announced theirs
- Rails of Sheffield have already announced theirs as well.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

with the greatest of respect to you all on here, I shall have a female companion to keep entertained (and buy dinner for afterwards, even though she was the one asking to come to the show) so I shall opt out of any Rmweb meet up :)

I'm looking forward to the Heljan announcements in particular, want to see if 009 is getting any more traction, so to speak.