Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018 - 24th and 25th November

Liam

• RMweb Premium

I always take a peek at the various electrical and electronic goods stands at this show.

I rather liked the look of the Smart Screen, from Train-Tech, who regularly exhibit at Warley.

These can be fitted within a station, or in a train and can be programmed as you wish.

The scrolling destination display looks the part and I can well imagine a good few contemporary era layouts (D&E) employing them.

I didn't think much of the optional Smart Screen housings though.

Far too crude looking.

Most people could fabricate a better solution.

http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/smart-screen

Smart%20Screen%20Train%20sm.jpg

Smart%20Screen%20platform%201%20sm.jpg

I've got one of those.

It's called an Arduino and LED display! :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Another batch of pictures.

Some more trade starting with Bachmann:

post-6208-0-89243900-1543275662_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-57959500-1543275671_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-58621400-1543275679_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-01373300-1543275687_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-03318200-1543275696_thumb.jpg

Oxford Rail:

post-6208-0-91210000-1543275740_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-40429200-1543275748_thumb.jpg

Hornby:

post-6208-0-01187000-1543275787_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-58240100-1543275793_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-93672300-1543275800_thumb.jpg

And one from the GardenRail stand

A Loveless Hush-Hush:

post-6208-0-45037000-1543275865_thumb.jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Jack Nelson was a modeller of dioramas featuring most effective and realistic perspective modelling. Railway Modeller published several articles by him and his work is featured in a Peco Publications title 'LNWR Portrayed', published over 40 years and long out of print, it may be possible to acquire a second hand copy. Several of his models went to the railway museum at Bettwys-y-Coed and may well still be displayed there.

They were there last October when I visited. Well worth a visit to the otherwise awful tourist trap that is Betws to see them. 

post-1187-0-98282900-1543277993_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

If you don’t know what ‘the types’ are you must be one of them

Joking apart I mean Dress code I suppose, I don’t mean it in a disparaging way but you can generally spot an ‘enthusiast’ be it model or real thing from a distance!

Older modellers/enthusiasts, satchel/shoulder bag , beige m+s jacket, comfy slacks and beige comfy shoes (too cold for socks and sandals)

Middle aged modellers: not quite reached the comfy slack stage, likes to think they are in the younger enthusiast stage but buys clothes from jacamo as they are a nice fit, “trendy” shoezone trainers as their knees hurt (this is my category!)

Younger modellers/enthusiasts, hoody, SLR camera photographing anything that moves before they get in the train, small backpack, jeans, trainers (T-shirt with some random no kettles, depot logo, sci-fi logo during the summer)

Both easily distinguishable from the footy fans on the same train, black bomber jacket zipped up to the top, Black jeans, Lonsdale trainers, chewing gum, can of Stella in jacket pocket

(Plus being as I’m in uniform the enthusiasts make a new line for me asking if anything special is due)

I do a lot of people watching on this job

How about the female enthusiast types? I am intrigued to see what I should be wearing and if I can be considered cool and 'on-trend' whatever that means. I await your informed response!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another batch of pictures.

Some more trade starting with Bachmann:

attachicon.gifBachmann 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBachmann 2.jpg

attachicon.gifBachmann 3.jpg

attachicon.gifBachmann 4.jpg

attachicon.gifBachmann 5.jpg

Oxford Rail:

attachicon.gifOxford 1.jpg

attachicon.gifOxford 2.jpg

Hornby:

attachicon.gifHornby 1.jpg

attachicon.gifHornby 2.jpg

attachicon.gifHornby 3.jpg

And one from the GardenRail stand

A Loveless Hush-Hush:

attachicon.gifHush-Hush.jpg

Keith

What stunning collection....Thanks for that, bit hard to get to Warley from where I live, so again thanks.

Rgds...Mike

I was sharing the train with a trio of girls on their way to Comic-Con, I almost took a diversion before heading to Hall 5 to go and see what their show was all about as some of the costumes I saw looked absolutely fantastic.

Combine that with all the bike nuts in branded shirts and race gear going to Motorcycle Live and the horde of Aston Villa supporters also on my morning train, and it certainly was an interesting day with a great mixture of humanity.

I had cause to venture out of the halls over the bridge to International station so encountered some of the comic con attendees in full attire. I was passed by a group of young males who were dressed with foam padding to their bony joints carrying small yellow plastic see-through machine gun style machine guns. Unfortunately for them also wandering the area were BTP officers brandishing rather larger versions of the real and deadly variety. I know which one I would rather face!

What was great amongst the mostly young people wearing the costumes was they didn't seem to give a damn about how they looked or what others thought of them. They were open and proud about their hobby unlike many in the railway and model world who try to hide it or keep it secret. It was very refreshing.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 12

How about the female enthusiast types? I am intrigued to see what I should be wearing and if I can be considered cool and 'on-trend' whatever that means. I await your informed response!

Based on recent visits to a couple of National Trust proprieties,  padded black "Puffa" jackets - preferably with expensive brand labels - jeans/jeggings with ripped knees and multi coloured "designer" Wellington boots seem to be on trend. 

• RMweb Gold

The difference Dave, is that you are not paying more to have your jeans pre-ripped.

Not quite sure that the leggings are working though....

Andy G

I'm getting some flesh coloured leggings for next year. . .  it's just going that way...

If anyone saw 'Paulontheball' on Saturday, he was picking up more N gauge stock.

post-4738-0-34393100-1543310031.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I managed to park at Marston Green station (NEC next stop) on the Friday and Saturday. Parking is free and the return ticket on the train is £2.40 plus the walk from the platform to Hall 5 was less than from the East 1 car park, and all under cover. Trains run about every 20 minutes, but the first train on Sunday was 08:40, too late for me to get in and sorted before doors opened to the public, so I had to fork out the dosh.

• RMweb Gold

I always take a peek at the various electrical and electronic goods stands at this show.

I rather liked the look of the Smart Screen, from Train-Tech, who regularly exhibit at Warley.

These can be fitted within a station, or in a train and can be programmed as you wish.

The scrolling destination display looks the part and I can well imagine a good few contemporary era layouts (D&E) employing them.

I didn't think much of the optional Smart Screen housings though.

Far too crude looking.

Most people could fabricate a better solution.

http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/smart-screen

Smart%20Screen%20Train%20sm.jpg

Smart%20Screen%20platform%201%20sm.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=b61mFDN61Qk

Nice idea but it’s still a tad too large for OO gauge, which is why it looks “clunky” as a platform display and fills too much of the window in the train.

No cigar just yet.

Darius

• RMweb Premium

I didn't, Jon. For those who are puzzled, I want to make the sides of a wooden coal wagon bow outwards, as they did.  I've used a rubber to force them apart but the problem is how to make them stay like that once the rubber has been removed.  The current favourite idea is to use a hair dryer.

Chris

Have you tried very hot water Chris? However the hairdryer idea sounds good.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I managed to park at Marston Green station (NEC next stop) on the Friday and Saturday. Parking is free and the return ticket on the train is £2.40

I’m surprised they didn’t get you tickets for parking as part of having you on their stand! TV stars not getting freebies ;)

• Administrators

Nice idea but it’s still a tad too large for OO gauge, which is why it looks “clunky” as a platform display and fills too much of the window in the train.

No cigar just yet.

Darius

If it was any smaller, people would moan the test was too tiny to read.

Big Thanks to the Warley Team for a very busy show, very well organised from our point of view. At Denton Brook we had the space we needed plus everything ready and waiting, and no fuss.

The show was incredibly busy with no let-up at all - which is fine - and we were awarded 'Best Large Scale Layout' which was exceeding kind.

Big thanks to Ken and Martin (the team) who operate almost without break, and with constant enthusiasm, and without whom we would not be doing it! 

A pleasure as always Giles and a well deserved award was the icing on the cake for the weekend.

The steam crane was far more versatile than I first thought it would be and really opened up the possibilities at that end of the layout.

For those that did not get a chance to see the layout because of the crowds, here are a couple of photos.

45163176225_ea3d4765eb_c.jpg

46025026382_10a4da3a26_c.jpg

We had the best view...

31136050447_8155fa1903_c.jpg

..and to finish off.

45163177065_955c33a330_c.jpg

46025025662_020c40d912_c.jpg

Looking forward to the next time out.

Martin

• Like 13

Thanks to Barry for the invitation and the NEC staff for looking after us so well - except whoever organises the traffic when the car parks are emptying.

Agreed on both points.

With so many car parks and so many roads on the NEC site it is hard to understand why they choose to have so many of them closed, forcing all of the traffic into bottle necks, why they arrange things so that traffic leaving car parks near to one end of the site gets turned around by marshals and sent the longest possible way out of the complex, and why incoming traffic is directed along routes that put it in direct conflict with outgoing traffic. Is the whole site badly designed, is it just traffic management incompetence, or is it deliberate awkwardness?

• RMweb Gold

Agreed on both points.

With so many car parks and so many roads on the NEC site it is hard to understand why they choose to have so many of them closed, forcing all of the traffic into bottle necks, why they arrange things so that traffic leaving car parks near to one end of the site gets turned around by marshals and sent the longest possible way out of the complex, and why incoming traffic is directed along routes that put it in direct conflict with outgoing traffic. Is the whole site badly designed, is it just traffic management incompetence, or is it deliberate awkwardness?

In their defence, when I left the car park on Saturday evening the electric signs were directing everyone right but as I was heading for the Holiday Inn at the airport and was following sat-nav, I went left into the teeth of the arriving hoards for what I presume was a concert of some kind. In hindsight I should have followed the advice and driven right round the complex to get back to the A45. Next year perhaps :)

If I go next year it will definitely be by train parking at nearest wcml station cheap and then sit down look out the window never again by car the NEC has become a money making machine for the new owners .Bet the price will be £20 next year agree about getting out seemed as though we were going round in circles but I saw a Harrier jump jet parked in a wood with portacabin buildings adjacent,anyone know the story?