Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018 - 24th and 25th November

Liam

Hi, tomorrow is going to be my first year attending, can anyone tell me if most places have card machines? Or is it mostly cash? Also what are the things I should make sure I don't miss? Thanks!

This does not help you this year but as I have said before, buy a guide in advance, hi-lite your 'must see' layouts & in a different colour hi-lite the traders you want to visit.  Add your shopping list to the edge of the floor plan.  Simples!

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Urgh. Can't believe I got up at 05:20 this morning just for a model railway show :scratchhead:

Just having a cuppa then off to catch the train. See you later folks !

Know what you mean...

Phil

This does not help you this year but as I have said before, buy a guide in advance, hi-lite your 'must see' layouts & in a different colour hi-lite the traders you want to visit.  Add your shopping list to the edge of the floor plan.  Simples!

Peter

By comparison, the information on the website is woefully vague and since the layout list hasn't piqued my interest this year, I'll be checking reports in here to see if it's worth going.

• Like 1

Peter

Or you can download the floorplan from the Warley website.

What you moaning about I am already here, person number 1 in the queue..attachicon.gifA4BD7BC6-D1EE-4800-97E0-00E2F048D626.jpeg

Even at 6 in the morning the free wifi doesnt work.

Now that's determination!

I'll be catching a leisurely train from Alvechurch in just over an hours time. Weekends like this make me love living in the West Midlands. :)

See you there folks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that's determination!

I'll be catching a leisurely train from Alvechurch in just over an hours time. Weekends like this make me love living in the West Midlands. :)

See you there folks!

I wish it was, daughter woke at 5, followed by the misses, both fell fast asleep again leaving me sitting in the hotel room staring at a turned off TV in the dark... i thought i’d try hotel breakfast, but it doesnt open till 7... so I meandered on in !!!

Just finishing up breakfast at the spoons, however i am not alone at this point, i am surrounded by enthusiast types..., certainly out numbering the bikers, whos convention is around the corner.. they must be sleeping in.. bless.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly my church run their Christmas Fair on the Saturday of Warley and I am Father Christmas before dashing down to Alton to take up Mid Hants Railway Guard duties on the Real Ale Train. Hope you all have a great time, at least I save some cash by not being tempted by some of the show bargains!

No way are you Santa.  You haven't even got a beard, and if you can do the whole world in one night then doing a xmas fair, being a guard and going to Warley should be a doddle.

• Like 2

We've gone vertical this year with our signage so you can't miss us!

post-27292-0-73447000-1543055570.jpg

Have a great day everyone that visits today. Hopefully our elves (Philip, Gavin and Mike) have been busy this morning putting the stock out......

Hopefully we have something for everyone?

I will be there tomorrow, so for those of you visiting tomorrow, come and say hello!

Martin

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Don't understand the phrase 'the types'.

If you don’t know what ‘the types’ are you must be one of them

Joking apart I mean Dress code I suppose, I don’t mean it in a disparaging way but you can generally spot an ‘enthusiast’ be it model or real thing from a distance!

Older modellers/enthusiasts, satchel/shoulder bag , beige m+s jacket, comfy slacks and beige comfy shoes (too cold for socks and sandals)

Middle aged modellers: not quite reached the comfy slack stage, likes to think they are in the younger enthusiast stage but buys clothes from jacamo as they are a nice fit, “trendy” shoezone trainers as their knees hurt (this is my category!)

Younger modellers/enthusiasts, hoody, SLR camera photographing anything that moves before they get in the train, small backpack, jeans, trainers (T-shirt with some random no kettles, depot logo, sci-fi logo during the summer)

Both easily distinguishable from the footy fans on the same train, black bomber jacket zipped up to the top, Black jeans, Lonsdale trainers, chewing gum, can of Stella in jacket pocket

(Plus being as I’m in uniform the enthusiasts make a new line for me asking if anything special is due)

I do a lot of people watching on this job

Edited by big jim
  • Like 12

Peter

Thats far too organised.

How about a rucksack detector?

Ian

I'm not attending.

But if you asked me which layout I would say is unmissable, then I would say Liverpool Lime Street. It really is impressive. I saw it a few years ago when it wasn't even quarter built and it was jaw dropping then.

Jason

Agree - although its a steamer.

Cant beat a bit of Northern bias looking at your location...

Joking apart I mean Dress code I suppose, I don’t mean it in a disparaging way but you can generally spot an ‘enthusiast’ be it model or real thing from a distance!

Older modellers/enthusiasts, satchel/shoulder bag , beige m+s jacket, comfy slacks and beige comfy shoes (too cold for socks and sandals)

Younger modellers/enthusiasts, hoody, SLR camera photographing anything that moves before they get in the train, small backpack, jeans, trainers (T-shirt with some random no kettles, depot logo, sci-fi logo during the summer)

Both easily distinguishable from the footy fans on the same train, black bomber jacket zipped up to the top, Black jeans, Lonsdale trainers, chewing gum, can of Stella in jacket pocket

(Plus being as I’m in uniform the enthusiasts make a new line for me asking if anything special is due)

:blink:

Edited by Crisis Rail

There are a lot of young ladies in skimpy outfits in the NEC today.

None of them are heading into Hall 5 though.

I lasted an hour this time before the rucksack bashing got to me. Final straw was some git with a big old lens who rather than ask me nicely to move decided he could achieve the desired result by leaning on me and doing a weird shuffle so I found myself being slid out of the way.

That's the last time, I'm done with Warley.

Middle aged modellers: not quite reached the comfy slack stage, likes to think they are in the younger enthusiast stage but buys clothes from jacamo as they are a nice fit, “trendy” shoezone trainers as their knees hurt (this is my category!)

It's Adidas Gazelles and Lacoste

Stone Island maybe if you want a kicking.

We were all Pringle and  FILA back in the 80's

Terrace fashion

.....The north-west of England is arguably the spiritual home of terrace fashion. Rainy, outerwear-loving cities like Manchester and Liverpool gave rise to the casuals

Lovely - sorry for the hijack :D

UTW

• Like 2

There are a lot of young ladies in skimpy outfits in the NEC today.

None of them are heading into Hall 5 though.

I lasted an hour this time before the rucksack bashing got to me. Final straw was some git with a big old lens who rather than ask me nicely to move decided he could achieve the desired result by leaning on me and doing a weird shuffle so I found myself being slid out of the way.

That's the last time, I'm done with Warley.

Frankly, I think you should have either pushed back or better still smacked him one - surreptitiously of course. It's no good being polite with these morons. Never stay silent always belittle them. You shouldn't have to stop going because of a lout. It is he that should be discouraged.

Edited by RichardS