Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018 - 24th and 25th November

Liam

Good to see the floorplan, I now know to avoid the area around A40-A60 as it is full of demonstrators - probably will have placards and be noisy.

Imagine the protests will be something along the lines of : "Ban the rucksack", "Bring back the wishlist for N gaugers", "Equal rights for minority modellers", "Campaign for better Tumblehomes", "P4 is the most accurate gauge", "Oh no it isn't" and 'Oh yes it is"

• RMweb Gold

If you are coming to look at layouts, to escape the throng, start at the back of the hall and work forward. Not forgetting to visit us on Brighton East of course! If you are after bargains, then good luck!

• RMweb Premium

So my father and I are coming to the Warley show this year, it's our first Warley (and our first real model railway exhibition for that matter). We've already got our tickets and parking (we ordered two magazines as well but I presume they come later/on the day), I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for us seeing as it's our first show, to make sure we get the most from the day? We're coming on the Saturday.

Your magazines are being posted to you

https://www.facebook.com/Warley.MRC.Exhibition/photos/a.724110170936537/2391051047575766/?type=3&theater

Look at the floor plane and check what you want to see. Trade stands will be busy first thing... try and plan a route and decide from the layouts and other information in the magazine what you want to see first. With 90 layouts and lots of other stands it may be a struggle to see everything.

baz

• Like 1

So my father and I are coming to the Warley show this year, it's our first Warley (and our first real model railway exhibition for that matter). We've already got our tickets and parking (we ordered two magazines as well but I presume they come later/on the day), I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for us seeing as it's our first show, to make sure we get the most from the day? We're coming on the Saturday.

Plan your day carefully - target the layouts you want to see the most, ditto any retailers - late afternoon is quieter and as you're driving you don't have to consider your return train crush so make the most of that when it comes to the more popular exhibits.

Expect it to be very busy, there will be people who are rude, accept they cannot help it and move on, if you can't get close to one exhibit move on and come back round later.

If you intend to purchase from the Bachmann returns stand, expect it to be several people deep.

There is usually a test track for your purchases, make use of it and say thanks - it's volunteers and it's very busy for them all day.

Food isn't cheap but there is choice and there are plenty of loos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the floorplan, I now know to avoid the area around A40-A60 as it is full of demonstrators - probably will have placards and be noisy.

Imagine the protests will be something along the lines of : "Ban the rucksack", "Bring back the wishlist for N gaugers", "Equal rights for minority modellers", "Campaign for better Tumblehomes", "P4 is the most accurate gauge", "Oh no it isn't" and 'Oh yes it is"

Can I suggest you wear a name badge so that my organised demo team can come and drag you to the demo area to allow you to gain new skills and knowledge...

Scale 4 Society have their own area for demos.....so won't comment.

Baz

Demonstration Liaison , Warley NEC Exhibition

Plan your day carefully - target the layouts you want to see the most, ditto any retailers - late afternoon is quieter and as you're driving you don't have to consider your return train crush so make the most of that when it comes to the more popular exhibits.

Expect it to be very busy, there will be people who are rude, accept they cannot help it and move on, if you can't get close to one exhibit move on and come back round later.

If you intend to purchase from the Bachmann returns stand, expect it to be several people deep.

There is usually a test track for your purchases, make use of it and say thanks - it's volunteers and it's very busy for them all day.

Thanks for the heads up - we're hoping for a little bit of both, as I'm only just getting back into the hobby and was looking to get the basics to get myself going again as well as seeing some great layouts. Plenty have people have told me that it's a good idea to go as a new hobbyist and it certainly looks that way :)

Your magazines are being posted to you

https://www.facebook.com/Warley.MRC.Exhibition/photos/a.724110170936537/2391051047575766/?type=3&theater

Look at the floor plane and check what you want to see. Trade stands will be busy first thing... try and plan a route and decide from the layouts and other information in the magazine what you want to see first. With 90 layouts and lots of other stands it may be a struggle to see everything.

baz

Thanks Baz, I thought it was probably the case but just wanted to make sure. 

• RMweb Gold

Plenty have people have told me that it's a good idea to go as a new hobbyist and it certainly looks that way :)

It is, pace your day, plenty of seating so take a few breaks or your feet will really ache ;)

It’s easy to miss stands so I print off the floor plan and mark stuff I really want to see then just wander and enjoy the rest. Aim to spend all day and you can just enjoy it. Stuff that’s heaving in the morning I go back to mid afternoon when crowds have eased a bit.

Have fun ;)

Plenty have people have told me that it's a good idea to go as a new hobbyist and it certainly looks that way :)

As long as you go with a positive mindset and manage to keep it throughout the day without getting hacked off by the rucksack loaded with sharpened flexitrack, overtly capitalist facilities at the NEC, lighting, flooded toilets, completly missing the continental show stopper that everyone talks about afterwards, the crowds and their eccentric best, etc....

Edited by 298
  • Like 1

If you are coming to look at layouts, to escape the throng, start at the back of the hall and work forward. Not forgetting to visit us on Brighton East of course! If you are after bargains, then good luck!

I always head to the far end of the hall first and work back towards the front. Normally lots of nice Narrow Gauge layouts hiding down that end of the hall  :locomotive:

• Like 1

I always head to the far end of the hall first and work back towards the front. Normally lots of nice Narrow Gauge layouts hiding down that end of the hall  :locomotive:

I always start in the cafe for a full breakfast...... then work my way from the back of the hall!

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 1

I always start in the cafe for a full breakfast...... then work my way from the back of the hall!

Regards always...

Bob

Regards always...

Bob

That sounds like a plan too :D Sadly Sunday isn't an option but I'm sure Saturday will be fine.

Karl,

I have visited Warley ever since the first one both as an exhibitor & visitor.  Before going as a visitor I buy a guide in advance, carefully hi-lite my must-see layouts on the floor plan in one colour & any traders I must-visit in another colour with my shopping list around the edge of the floor plan.  Doing both of these will ensure you see what you really want to see.& any time left you can see all the rest of the show.

Peter

• Like 3

the test track I forgot about that - any buyers of the Bachmann Mk2f DBSO and coaches DCC fitted could take them along and ensure the lighting features work.

I plan on buying one myself and will get it tested.

never understood that huge crush around the Bachmann seconds stand.  are they really bargains?  

never understood that huge crush around the Bachmann seconds stand.  are they really bargains?  

There are plenty, assuming of course that they are items you're actually after, then the relatively deep discounts are on a par with the likes of Hattons' sale.  Like anything, it's a range from the so-what to the must-have  :angel:

Parking the car?

NEC Parking

Advanced tickets - £12 - https://necparking.apcoa.co.uk/Public.aspx

On the day - £16

Birmingham International Station (may require proof of travel ;))

Advance tickets - £9 - https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/stations-destinations/parking/birmingham-international

On the day - £12

Hampton-in-Arden Station

Free limited parking (123 spaces) for travel

Return fare to B'ham Intl. - £2.40

Marston Green Station

Free limited parking (120 spaces) for travel

Return fare to B'ham Intl. - £2.40

• Like 1