3D Printed Crew for P Class & Andrew Barclay Locomotives

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking further at the figures and have noticed FOOTWARE ! to modern . Where are the Hobnail boots with steel toecaps ! the ones shown just don't look right.

Anybody else notice them.

Since the feet are less than 4mm long, I doubt anyone will see the difference after a blob of black paint is put on them. 

Just been looking further at the figures and have noticed FOOTWARE ! to modern . Where are the Hobnail boots with steel toecaps ! the ones shown just don't look right.

Anybody else notice them.

But it would be harder for them to dance about the footplate with hobnails on.  Whoooa!

post-508-0-31237900-1519148931.gif

Edited by Porcy Mane

I'm still wondering what the 'P' fireman said to infuriate the driver - so he lashed out with a left hook ............. ? .............................

Left hook? Not even a jab. Looks more like handbags to me?

post-508-0-67567300-1519222195.jpg

P

Ah - now the picture makes sense ............ obviously the PC committee has had the handbag(s) redacted like Brunel's cigar !

...the thing that worries me is why does that bloke have 2 handbags...nobody but nobody ever goes out with 2 identical handbags

...am I reading too much into this?

...nice shade of pink mind...

...the thing that worries me is why does that bloke have 2 handbags...nobody but nobody ever goes out with 2 identical handbags

Oh come on.

You know what it was like at those 1950's loco sheds. Firemans been up since the crack o dawn, cleaned out his ashpan, lubricated his big end and finished off with a quick bit of dome polishing only for the driver to turn up two hours later and find out they've both brought their fish paste sandwiches to work in the same bags.

Driver gets a bit uppity at this and the cat fighting starts.

Have ordered a set to go with Bluebell but wondered what colours to get to paint these. I'm normally lazy and get prepainted figures!

Depends on what era you're getting. I'm getting SECR/SR and am planning white shirt, maroon(ish) tie, grey/blue jacket and cap, dark grey tunic, and black trousers/boots

Probably oil paints, but haven't decided on that

Edited by truffy

Given the effects of dirt, washing, and time, I would say that anything that was close enough would be good enough. The trick is to use subtle shade differences between models, since Bert's wife was a stickler for clean shirt and tunic, while Fred's was more interested in the gin.

Oh come on.

You know what it was like at those 1950's loco sheds. Firemans been up since the crack o dawn, cleaned out his ashpan, lubricated his big end and finished off with a quick bit of dome polishing only for the driver to turn up two hours later and find out they've both brought their fish paste sandwiches to work in the same bags.

Driver gets a bit uppity at this and the cat fighting starts.

Well, you know what identical twins are like .......... identical clothes + identical handbags ............. obvious innit !

( Yes, autocoach, winter HAS been too long over here .... an' it ain't over yet ! ............................................. but you should know it's ALWAYS Silly Season on rmweb - that's why we love it so !!?!)

Well its a good thing I can laugh at myself!! I honestly didn't expect at any time to see a photo of myself with photoshopped  pink handbags here on RM web.

Going back to page one, someone commented that you wouldn't drive a train with your hand in your pocket. I actually often do, especially on engines with little weather protection and tiny fires. It can get surprisingly cold!

Andy H

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

We'll certainly keep all the ideas and suggestions in mind when considering future locomotive crews.

Cheers,

Dave

Something which might be worth considering is a seated driver for the Barclay per the discussion on this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132333-andrew-barclay-cab-details/ 

When driving backwards there seems to have been a practice of sitting on top of the in-cab bunker so that he could more easily [and comfortably] see where he was going on the road.

With the imminent arrive of the P class, is there any update on the availability of the staff to drive it? It would be classy if they arrived along with the locomotive (and save a second overseas postage charge in my case). 

• Like 1

With the imminent arrive of the P class, is there any update on the availability of the staff to drive it? It would be classy if they arrived along with the locomotive (and save a second overseas postage charge in my case). 

I ordered a set of crew from Hattons and was told they would be packed with the loco.

Cheers,

David

ModelU must have had their printer(s) working overtime to produce enough figures for the Hattons P shipments. My P with Figures order has been shipped to these far shores according to today's email from Hattons.

Perhaps the prototype 3 D figures could have been used as basis for a resin mold or even an injection mold to churn out enough sets for the P shipments?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a double post but....coverage will hopefully attract a response....

Has anyone tried to fit the ModelU crew into the cab of their P class yet?

My crew has not yet been painted but am looking ahead to this task.

Found the instructions with a vague method of fitting the crew through the side door. Unfortunately my SR Sunshine 1558 appears to have the cab doors either painted or glued in place. As it appears the cab is also glued on this may prove a bit of a problem.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1