Metre-Gauge Railways of Provence

rogerfarnworth

Can't get enough, pity some of the books are now only offered at a rediculously high price. But, there is an excellent article about the railcars, including drawings in Voie Libre. Can (sometimes ) be seen online at http://fr.1001mags.com/parution/voie-libre/numero-38-septembre-2006/page-30-31-texte-integralThi

Provencal architecture (in particular the classic church front, also found in Herault), just speaks southern  France. A Santon museum in the village where my brother in local doctor, got me interested initially, and has defined my artwork, and my model making since.Just wish I had realised it was better to just visit, than thinking I could set up home there, especially as it is relatively easy to get to from Lancashire.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Can't get enough, pity some of the books are now only offered at a rediculously high price. But, there is an excellent article about the railcars, including drawings in Voie Libre. Can (sometimes ) be seen online at http://fr.1001mags.com/parution/voie-libre/numero-38-septembre-2006/page-30-31-texte-integralThi

Provencal architecture (in particular the classic church front, also found in Herault), just speaks southern  France. A Santon museum in the village where my brother in local doctor, got me interested initially, and has defined my artwork, and my model making since.Just wish I had realised it was better to just visit, than thinking I could set up home there, especially as it is relatively easy to get to from Lancashire.

Interesting article in Voie Libre. Thank you, rue_d_etropal.

Yes, easy access, we fly by easyjet from Liverpool to Nice.

Edited by rogerfarnworth

Yes, easy access, we fly by easyjet from Liverpool to Nice

I have flown to Nice(when other airports were closed). Interesting drive to get out of airport , assuming you can find the car hire office!  Also landing/taking off only metres away from the water.

It is only when you drive over to  the west end of Provence, that you realise just how far it is. The old railway line was not a short branch, it was a decent length. My interest in the metre gauge has definitely been given a boost.

A pity that book published by Cabri is so expensive. Can't see anyone actually paying over £400 for a copy. French books are expensive, but not that much. It has been suggested that prices are inflated to make commercial book collections look more valuable(and therefore more can be borrrowed against them!). Odd thing is that the Autorails de France book does not have the railcar drawings for the Provene version(which are in Voie Libre), but do have the drawings of the same manufacturers ones on another line.

Mentioned it before, but have to remember much of the coastal area was very rural, not the 'posh' area you now see. St Tropez was a quiet backwater until the film makers made it popular in the mid 50s. Pity that was too late to save the railway.

Yes, you are right. Until the late 50s or early 60s the landscape was really rural. The aerial photography which is available shows how small the village communities

were.

The story of the Toulon to Saint-Raphael line continues. There are a few more posts to come. This post focusses on a second branch-line that left Le Macaron at La Foux and travelled inland to Cogolin. There was an intention to extend this line further. The intention did not come to fruition:

http://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/2018/01/08/ligne-du-littoral-toulon-to-st-raphael-part-11-la-foux-les-pins-to-cogolin-chemin-de-fer-de-provence-46

Edited by rogerfarnworth

This next length of the journey takes us from La Foux to Sainte-Maxime:

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/2018/01/08/ligne-du-littoral-toulon-to-st-raphael-part-12-la-foux-les-pins-to-sainte-maxime-chemin-de-fer-de-provence-47

The history of Port Grimaud is also investigated in the post.

Edited by rogerfarnworth

And now the last length of Le Macaron. The distance from Sainte-Maxime to Saint-Raphael.

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/2018/01/15/ligne-du-littoral-toulon-to-st-raphael-part-13-sainte-maxime-to-saint-raphael-chemin-de-fer-de-provence-48

There will be one further post in this particular series which will cover the locomotives and rolling stock on the line.

I just received copy of the autorail book for Renault , and it has drawings for the two versions which ran on the line. I had not realised how long they were. They will only just fit within the 3D print limits for a 1/32 scale version, not that I actually plan to get one in that scale, but want to offer it.

• RMweb Gold

This final post on the Toulon to Saint-Raphael metre-gauge railway covers the locomotives and rolling stock on the line ......

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/ligne-du-littoral-toulon-to-st-raphael-part-14-locomotives-and-rolling-stock-chemin-de-fer-de-provence-49

Particularly enjoyed this instalment. With a previous partner, I spent some holidays at St Aygulf as her uncle had a holiday house there and her cousin had moved there.

My partner had a great fear of staying anywhere in the lee of a dam and, now, I know why!

St Raphael station has always interested me for its modelling potential. Quite compact but with both standard and metre-gauge and even dual gauge across the bridge to the west of the station. Very pleased to see that scale plan as I have only ever had the sketch plan from the PLM book.

just love those viaducts. Put them on a model, and no-one believes they actually exist.

The scenery round there is very similar to what we have over the other side of Beziers. Not surprising given it relatively similar position. Apart from the metre gauge lines from Castres(well documented by M Viers), there was nothing similar to the tramways near to Nice.

just love those viaducts. Put them on a model, and no-one believes they actually exist.

The scenery round there is very similar to what we have over the other side of Beziers. Not surprising given it relatively similar position. Apart from the metre gauge lines from Castres(well documented by M Viers), there was nothing similar to the tramways near to Nice.

It was the Caramel Viaduct that first alerted me to the existence of these metre-gauge lines and spark an interest which has bought a good few hours of enjoyment to me.

• 5 weeks later...
This next post relates to a different line - the Nice to Digne metre-gauge line. This line is the only one of the metre-gauge lines near Nice toremain open. Despite a chequered history its future now seems relatively secure. This is the first post about this line. I have travelled on it a few times in recent years and will do again when we are in Nice once more. It has seen some dramatic improvements in the permanent way and rolling stock in the past 5 or so years.

On a number of occasions, my wife and I have travelled on the line between Nice and Digne. our first trip was, I think, in 2001. I have still to find the photos. Uploading a lot of photos to the forum is not the best idea so I have provided a link to those taken by me in 2011.

Another excellent collection.

Just wondeing about the origin of the coaches in the 'train shed' , pale green and white ones. Similar to the Decauville ones used on the CF de Camargue. Not the same, as they look shorter, but might throw some light on detail I am after.

Another excellent collection.

Just wondeing about the origin of the coaches in the 'train shed' , pale green and white ones. Similar to the Decauville ones used on the CF de Camargue. Not the same, as they look shorter, but might throw some light on detail I am after.

Hi, sorry, I have no idea. Hopefully you can find out a little more, sometimes the easiest first step is to copy the picture and do a google image search.

Best wishes

Roger