Queens Street Yard

gerrym

I think I spent a bit of time chatting to you with my Dad at the Ross-on-Wye show - this layout truly is superb and shows what can be done in 0 gauge even if you don’t have tons of space. It’s inspired me to have a go at my own small sized but highly detailed 0 gauge layout, so thanks!

A little piece of news re QSY and I mean a little piece!  Just completed building one of Jim Mcgowens new Midland Railway battery electric locos to run on QSY at Thornbury, it is just drying off in the airing cupboard after a good scrub with a kitchen cleaner and now ready for painting. 

It is very small , basically a open wagon with a greenhouse on top! Another excellent kit from Jim, however looks can be deceptive,  the kit arrived a couple of weeks ago and a quick look through the contents and thought a week will see that knocked up.  It is actually quite a complex model to build. 

To begin with it uses Slaters wagon wheels on 1/8 in axles, not 3/16ths as usual so you have to use 4mm scale gears and small motors to suit. I was lucky, in the stashed away cupboard was a small plastic box containing lots of old 4mm scale gems including a tiny Mashima motor and a 40-1 gear set. 

There are quite a lot of small detail castings but there are a great number of handrails and small etched parts to the superstructure which have to be lined up by eye and soldered into place.  Net result several blistered fingers!

Anyway the final result looks the part and with the addition of some lead in the body shell as it is only two wheel drive it will be just the job for shuffling a few wagons about.

The only uncertainty is the colour scheme, the later BR scheme is easy enough and I have found reference to the LMS scheme but the time period for QSY is Edwardian which would be the original MR colours and numbers but that seems to be an unknown. If anyone has any info. on that it would be very gratefully received . Pictures will hopefully appear in a few days when it is painted correctly or not.

Gerrym  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would add an update to my recent comment ref. a little piece of news, The Battery loco. is now painted and running , 99% finished, and completed its first outing to the Thornbury show this W/E.  It was well received despite the majority of viewers not knowing what it was unsurprisingly!

a couple of people knew precisely what it was and passed on to me some useful information which was great. 

The loco has some lead sheet packed into the central battery box under the chassis but needs a great deal more to be fitted into the body structure, it could pull one wagon or two light ones and that was it!  I have chosen the simple route when building it and consequently it is only driven on one axle, two wheel drive.  Without a lot more ballast it is not going to be very useful. Mind you I do not think the prototype could move a great deal more .

You will see in the picture it looks very ex works and requires some weathering to tone down the newness.

I will keep you posted of progress and pulling power!!20191117_152026.jpg.09511f435baf3295cb347e37cb683d5f.jpg

• Like 8

Lovely model.  There's a picture of B.E.L 1 (1550) in the Observers Book of Railway Locomotives from 1962. Not a great photo but it looks like at some stage the body sides were plated over.  There was a B.E.L. 2 as well. The book has them based at Poplar and Oakamoor respectively.