Endeavour 18th Feb

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

Definitely Ropley but the derelict station doesn't look like MHR. Possibly Quainton Road?

I haven't seen Endeavour - or Morse - for a number of years. However, the use of Quainton Road for filming these programmes sounds credible - especially in view of where the former Oxford Rewley Road station building ended up.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Headlight American horn!!!!!! and what looked like a derelict 25

And since when did Hornby westerns have a stupid headlight not that you buy it in the 60s

PS anyone want to buy a TV that has some serious boot damage!

Several musical gaffes

The radio announced the assassination of Robert Kennedy but the soundtrack had “Can’t you hear me knocking” by the Stones, which was recorded a couple of years after that, as was the U Roy version of “Stop that Train”.

Edited by Mike Buttell

• RMweb Gold

What's with the level crossing with black and white scaffolding poles and an American bell!!!!

His layout is far too modern too and just to really P me off why does the porter have a drivers bag???

Headlight American horn!!!!!! and what looked like a derelict 25

And since when did Hornby westerns have a stupid headlight not that you buy it in the 60s

PS anyone want to buy a TV that has some serious boot damage!

Pretty  typical  of  todays  dramas  which  require  railway  footage  both  model  and   full size!

'

And  of  course   there  was a  comment  from a  police  woman to  the  effect  of ' why do men play  trains' etc  when  she  was in  the  Railway Room ,not  sure  of  the  exact  words  I  was  watching  Homeland  Ep1 !

• Like 1

I thought it was rather good, and rather clever, and with more than one murderer. Did anyone else notice a few Red Herrings rotting away with the other wagons up the old Butts Junction spur (I aplogise...)

So, railway stuff!

Judging by the final scene with the announcement of Bobby Kennedy's death, the story took place prior to June 1968, so steam wasn't quite out of the question, but on the Western or that part of the Midland? Hmm... still, nice to see BR Standards in a correct period drama, rather than used for earlier periods. The 33 was a nice choice, and there were some very good breaks between scenes, particularly between the MHR and BRC.

The Hornby Western... didn't that come in 1976/7/8?

Still, some things never change: telly showing trainspotters as very weird and strange people, except this time drawing those who avoid that label normally into the 'very weird' fray. Still, liked the irony of a 'trainspotter' being hit by a train, a blue box on wheels at that.

Anyway, the MHR should be sued by anyone who cares: Morse didn't 'ave a PTS certificate or an 'igh Vis on! Terrible, Habsolutely terrible.

J. Obsworth, Four Marks

What's with the level crossing with black and white scaffolding poles and an American bell!!!!

His layout is far too modern too and just to really P me off why does the porter have a drivers bag???

The bell was a goof, but the crossing (on Wanderer's curve if I remember correctly?) is as it actually appears on the MHR. The layout has far too many modern model railway products, but did anyone make notes on the loco smokebox number plates on the weird trainspotter's wall? I think I saw one beginning '306..' and for some reason thinking it came off an S15, but I doubt it somehow. Another one came off a 'dubdee' I think, given it seemed to begin with '90...'.

I thought it was rather good, and rather clever, and with more than one murderer. Did anyone else notice a few Red Herrings rotting away with the other wagons up the old Butts Junction spur (I aplogise...)

So, railway stuff!

Judging by the final scene with the announcement of Bobby Kennedy's death, the story took place prior to June 1968, so steam wasn't quite out of the question, 

Bulleid Pacifics would have been though ;-)

In the other direction, my father noticed that at least one vehicle was 'F' reg (1 Aug 1968 onwards).

It is a shame though that they had to use a SR station to film most of the scenes given that the victim was travelling from Birmingham to Oxford. Maybe one day there will be a heritage railway in Oxfordshire with a GWR/WR style station....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The bell was a goof, but the crossing (on Wanderer's curve if I remember correctly?) is as it actually appears on the MHR. The layout has far too many modern model railway products, but did anyone make notes on the loco smokebox number plates on the weird trainspotter's wall? I think I saw one beginning '306..' and for some reason thinking it came off an S15, but I doubt it somehow. Another one came off a 'dubdee' I think, given it seemed to begin with '90...'.

Maybe the numberplate was off an LNER Pacific but they turned it upside down so he wasn't seen a too rich!

They seemed a bit obsessed with corporate identity which seemed a bit early for a station in a backwater that was about to close

Also what was going on with that van ,looked like a five year old had done the graphics

But still wasn't actually a bad program

To be honest, had it been set somewhere on the Southern, particularly the Western Division, then those sequences would have been almost accurate if you rolled the date back until you get before July 1967.

Another note: the brief shot of the haulage contractors yard also appears to have been shot at Quainton Road.

I usually enjoy Endeavour, especially as it is set in my home town, but last night's railway scenes were, without exception, dreadful; All the points made above, plus a renumbered Class 33 with headlight, in 1968, and a 'Parliamentary' train which didn't appear in the public timetable, somewhat defeating the point. And, of course the railway enthusiast had to be a weirdo who turned out to be a murderer (although not the only killer in the episode - Oxford is a dangerous place !). Still, at least the City of Oxford Motor Services bus looked good (was it accurate for 1968 - any bus experts on here ?).

Bulleid Pacifics would have been though ;-)

In the other direction, my father noticed that at least one vehicle was 'F' reg (1 Aug 1968 onwards).

It is a shame though that they had to use a SR station to film most of the scenes given that the victim was travelling from Birmingham to Oxford. Maybe one day there will be a heritage railway in Oxfordshire with a GWR/WR style station....

F Plates were August 67 on IIRC. I remember Es being quite rare because E only ran January-July 67 to allow the changeover from calendar years to manufacturers' model years.

The railway sequences weren't the best, but better than some I have seen/heard about at any rate.

Still think it showed steam hanging on a tad too long around Oxford though... but I like the MHR (Have volunteered there in the past!) and it was nice to see it on the 'box. Still think Medstead would've been a better choice than Ropley, but then again it doesn't have the all-important Station Master's house attached, and Arlesford is surrounded by too much modernity.

Speaking of which, some neat blurring out the very modern footbridge at Quainton Road!