Endeavour 18th Feb

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

F Plates were August 67 on IIRC. I remember Es being quite rare because E only ran January-July 67 to allow the changeover from calendar years to manufacturers' model years.

Indeed you are correct, my first minor was a '67 F plater, followed by a '68 G, and now I'm running around in a '67 E plater...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Yup, the weird train spotter.

It was obvious as soon as the existence of a "cold case" murder was revealed that he had to be responsible for it. He just didn't fit into any of the other plot lines.

He definitely wasn't armed robbery material. :jester:

John

• RMweb Gold

It was the first episode of Endeavour I've seen for ages, and I thought the plot and the railway scenes were awful. Midsomer Murders is more believable!

They'd have better avoided it altogether. It's next to impossible to do without some howlers IMHO and this had most of the possible ones.

Pity. Endeavour generally has an admirably low anachronism count overall, as did Lewis.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed it. I'm getting better at turning off the railway credibility part of my brain when it comes to entertaining dramas (though I still snigger at the opening scene of Heart of Darkness). I can't say that I'm too worked up about the stereotyping of the railway enthusiast either, partly because there's some truth in it (we all know strange enthusiasts and demographics will result in a number being unconcerned about the legality or social desirability of their actions) and because other groups suffer too, corrupt politicians, bent coppers, spivvy cockneys, slow yokels and tight fisted Yorkshiremen. 

F Plates were August 67 on IIRC. I remember Es being quite rare because E only ran January-July 67 to allow the changeover from calendar years to manufacturers' model years.

Wikipedia agrees with you.

I usually enjoy Endeavour, especially as it is set in my home town, but last night's railway scenes were, without exception, dreadful... Still, at least the City of Oxford Motor Services bus looked good (was it accurate for 1968 - any bus experts on here ?).

Anyone else spot the irony here?  "I know about trains and they got it all wrong.  But I liked the bus - was it right?"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I expect some the costumes worn by the actors were made quite recently and don't actually date from 1968. That sort of thing can ruin a good programme.

Unless, of course, you're relaxed enough to see it simply as storytelling where the producers have to take some pragmatic decisions to portray the era as best as they can with available resources and budget.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 1

Glad to have confirmation that the other station was Quainton Road, my best guess on the night.

Very unimpressed by the US railroad sounds, and really there are enough GW preserved lines to have found one more suitable for around Oxford. I'd have been happier with a green 33, as these would probably have been in the majority at the time portrayed, although a blue one wasn't wrong, apart from the headlight.

I think the buses are correct, presumably supplied by the Oxford Bus Museum at Handsborough(?). They've been in a number of episodes, and one hopes the appearance fee makes a good contribution to keeping them in such excellent condition.

John.

Forget the railway foul-ups and the stereotypical trainspotter with a time machine to purchase stock not in production at the time, it was a stroke of genius to feature Crossroads! I've often wondered why more "dramas" don't cross-pollinate. If he hadn't been shot, George Gently could have popped down to Oxford on an overlapping case. Or a very old and retired Foyle, post war, gets a call on a wartime cold case. The possibilities are endless.

If the producers had rung me up I could have put them in touch with the new owner of the "King's Oak" layout!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Forget the railway foul-ups and the stereotypical trainspotter with a time machine to purchase stock not in production at the time, it was a stroke of genius to feature Crossroads! I've often wondered why more "dramas" don't cross-pollinate. If he hadn't been shot, George Gently could have popped down to Oxford on an overlapping case. Or a very old and retired Foyle, post war, gets a call on a wartime cold case. The possibilities are endless.

If the producers had rung me up I could have put them in touch with the new owner of the "King's Oak" layout!

Talking of cross pollination, why doesn't anybody on Corrie mention what's going on on Emmerdale or East Enders, or vice versa.

Real world, ha.

Mike.

• Like 1

As an aside, all the model railway track appears to be to Hornby's system 6 pattern. Did that exist under triang in 1968?!

The footbridge at the very end looks suspiciously like a modern ratio kit...

Its all beginning to sound like the scene in "Ripper Street", a drama definitely set in the pre-grouping era, where the villain was shown operating an OO scale layout, complete with Metcalfe buildings....

Oh well, I'd recorded the episode and  was going to watch it last night but circumstances were against me.  I'll definitely have to give it a go tonight!

That was the one with the LT Pannier and BR Black Jinty wasn't it? I think N2 No,1744 was involved, which would at least be correct for pre-grouping London.

Yes, but OO gauge in the 1890s?

Back then OO didn't exist, neither did HO and even O gauge was considered sub-miniature!!!

Yes, indeed, I was merely highlighting another railway inaccuracy!

I haven't actually watched any of 'Ripper Street' (I think using the name of a layout that runs BR Blue stock is disgraceful!), but discovered the above inaccuracies thanks to this rather interesting video: