Endeavour 18th Feb

Nobby (John)

Nothing to do with the railways, but after the Crossroads lark in the previous episode I noticed in last night's that a small party of soldiers had been led by a Sergeant Windsor Davies.

The first murder victim's surname was Creighton-Ward (think Lady Penelope!).

Virtually every Film or TV program that has been recorded after the demise of mainline steam seems seems to have inaccuracies in it, I suspect that the film crews just go to the nearest preservation line and use what is available there  because for the vast majority of viewers that's perfectly acceptable.

Iv'e stopped remarking on it at home because the inevitable reply is "well you would know that wouldn't you"

Did anyone keep a count of the shots discharged by the Mad Prof when he was chasing Morse at the end with no apparent magazine changes?

And its always handy for the guilty party to charge into the minefield.....

click....   Oh bug**r.......

• RMweb Premium

No railways in last night's episiode so I presume RMwebbers were busy enjoying the story for what it was and not getting apoplectic about all the errors. Let's start with the live minefield in the middle of a UK base.

Ah well, if we're onto the last night's episode, that Land Rover was looking a bit dodgy,

Adrian

As a former Squadron Sergeant-Major, my blood pressure has been raised to “Hush-Hush” level by the military scenes. DO YOUR B***** SMOCKS UP YOU F***** SHOWER OF...!

It looks like the FIBUA village at Longmoor - old married quarters for the LMR, so another railway link. However, the SOLI seem to have gone downhill since the gallant action at Umboto Gorge!

As well as the Windsor Davies and Lady Penelope references did anyone catch the Blackadder or P D Woodehouse bits?

Terry

Oh yes, there was a reference to Spode being a fascist, wasn't there?

They'll have to be careful putting all these references in though or they'll end up putting Morse (and a load of other series) in the Tommy Westphail Universe!

As a former Squadron Sergeant-Major, my blood pressure has been raised to “Hush-Hush” level by the military scenes. DO YOUR B***** SMOCKS UP YOU F***** SHOWER OF...!

It looks like the FIBUA village at Longmoor - old married quarters for the LMR, so another railway link. However, the SOLI seem to have gone downhill since the gallant action at Umboto Gorge!

Perhaps thats why they're being amalgamated, put a bit of backbone into 'em!

If the village is Longmoor, that perhaps would explain the derelict brakevan Morse scurries past when being chased by the Mad Professor at the end.....

If the village is Longmoor, that perhaps would explain the derelict brakevan Morse scurries past when being chased by the Mad Professor at the end.....

There is a brakevan and a wagon or two on a piece of track as a sort of homage to the LMR. It’s not on a bit that was part of the railway though.

There is a brakevan and a wagon or two on a piece of track as a sort of homage to the LMR. It’s not on a bit that was part of the railway though.

• RMweb Premium

Civvy spec Series II or IIa (didn't look properly) with military plates. Correct for period unless I missed something ?

Probably right for the period, but as you say, civvy spec, not military (there must be some left running).  However, did the army run SWB Land Rovers, all I ever remember seeing were LWB.

Adrian

Probably right for the period, but as you say, civvy spec, not military (there must be some left running).  However, did the army run SWB Land Rovers, all I ever remember seeing were LWB.

Adrian

Yes, we [i.e., the Army] did run SWB 88inch LR. They were generally referred to as 1/4 ton land rovers as opposed to the 3/4 ton 109in LWB ones. The other type of pre-defender LR was the rather natty 1/2 ton air portable with the cut down wings. However, outside of the TA, I always got the impression that the 1/4 ton was quite a rare beast - But it would not surprise me if they were more common in the RAF and RN. The RAF even had [sacrilege!] some 1/4 ton vehicles that had been "reverse engineered" to 2wheel drive only for use as "Follow Me" vehicles on airfields.

In a way, the easiest methods of telling whether a LR is ex-military are:

1- Look at the lights on the rear - Some differences in use of reflectors as opposed to bulbs in early vehicles.

2-Is there a double bumper - pretty much standard mil. eqpt.

3-Is there an external fuel filler - Most military LR had their fuel tanks under the cab seats so no external filling hatches.

Edited by ted675

Last night's episode featured an edition of Jeux Sans Frontières set in Oxford, and being recorded for broadcast by Southern Television (I think one of the vehicles even carried the name Southern Independent Television, which would have been correct for 1968 when the episode was set).  So on the one hand, plus points to the Endeavour production team for getting the name of the independent television company right - but minus several million for ignoring the fact that JSF in the 1960s and 70s was only ever televised and broadcast in the UK by the BBC  :nono:

I'd have to give them a few points back for the giant hurdling race, though: that was eerily reminiscent of the sort of silly stuff that inexplicably enthusiastic townsfolk across the continent and the British isles used to submit themselves to for the privilege of "being on the telly".

Minus a few points, though, for the "thousands of spectators" which were referred to at one point, despite the rather meagre collection of extras actually looking more like the sort of turnout that you might get for a minor local celebrity opening a new branch of Iceland somewhere in rural Lincolnshire...

Edited by ejstubbs

I suspect the decision to use Southern rather than the BBC was probably as much to do with the ready availability of a preserved Southern OB unit (Bedford VAL coach chassis with a body incorporating contemporary Plaxton Panorama bits!) although I suspect the Beeb might just have kicked off if they had been featured. Plus, Stuart Hall is a damaged brand nowadays.

I did smile at the Sebastopol Terrace reference, as well as the other room being reserved in the name of Samantha Smith, presumably someone on the production team is a fan of the contemporary singer Sam Smith.

I suspect the decision to use Southern rather than the BBC was probably as much to do with the ready availability of a preserved Southern OB unit (Bedford VAL coach chassis with a body incorporating contemporary Plaxton Panorama bits!) although I suspect the Beeb might just have kicked off if they had been featured. Plus, Stuart Hall is a damaged brand nowadays.

I did smile at the Sebastopol Terrace reference, as well as the other room being reserved in the name of Samantha Smith, presumably someone on the production team is a fan of the contemporary singer Sam Smith.

Weren't the early series fronted by David Vine, with Eddie Waring the Referee - I have childhood memories of David Vine doing this programme & the Horse of the Year show. I only seem to remember Stuart Hall from the programmes in the 70s when Arthur Ellis was the referee?

Edited by vaughan45

Weren't the early series fronted by David Vine, with Eddie Waring the Referee - I have childhood memories of David Vine doing this programme & the Horse of the Year show. I only seem to remember Stuart Hall from the programmes in the 70s when Arthur Ellis was the referee?

I think you are probably right, I have vague memories of David Vine being the host at some point. He seemed to be the go-to person for these things for many years.

• RMweb Gold

With the caveat that wikipedia is not always the most accurate of sources, this confirms the presenter line-up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Knockout

Not wanting to give away anything from tonight's episode fr anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I've just realised that "Fancy" is a Z Cars reference!

Incidentally the school in tonight's episode is only a handful of doors down the road from the last place I lived in - I often used to see the Thames Valley Air Ambulance landing on the playing fields.

Not wanting to give away anything from tonight's episode fr anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I've just realised that "Fancy" is a Z Cars reference!

Incidentally the school in tonight's episode is only a handful of doors down the road from the last place I lived in - I often used to see the Thames Valley Air Ambulance landing on the playing fields.

Thank you. It was bugging me where I had heard the name before in a police drama. Every time I heard the name I would think "I know that's one of our popular culture references but I'll be ****ered if I can remember".

It's good when a drama works on it's own but also has these references littered throughout them to amuse those who spot them. Very clever writing.