TMC Announcement at Glasgow - a chance to win a 9F!

tmc

Maybe a new loco type is a little ambitious, a Class 120 DMU even more so, no matter how much I would like one (or more). So, an announcement in Scotland, new tooling and various attractive liveries; My guess is an accurate bulk grain 'blue' wagon with whisky advertising boards. Cheers !

Ahh, but in the video one of the gents from TMC said they were cutting steel on a Locomotive.  Which i presume was the hint to guide the guesses AndyY spoke of.

It shall hopefully be a pleasant surprise when i check in the morning given the 5hour time difference, announcements should be out by the time my morning rolls around tomorrow!

Stephen

Caledonian Pug 0-4-0ST up to modern standards.

Scottish, plenty of liveries, long lived, widely travelled and it has the cute factor that is popular at the moment. I would buy one or two.

Jason

Well, it was essentially an off the shelf Neilson product, tailored to the Caley's needs, but you could also then do industrial versions and also the variant done for that lot over there.(points thumb over shoulder in direction of Cowlairs...)

D4

Has anyone mentioned a Caley 439 class 0-4-4T tank yet. Scottish and very useable I would have thought!

Terry

Yes and yes and yes !!!!

It is a locomotive (mentioned in the TMC video) and is a Scottish prototype being announced at the big Scottish show. It is also a tank engine so reasonably simple an slightly cheaper, but also has the huge cute factor similar to the recent SE&CR loco announcements. It could spawn an awful lot of ScBLTs if you combine it with the Hornby 2018  announcement. 

Yes and yes and yes !!!!

It is a locomotive (mentioned in the TMC video) and is a Scottish prototype being announced at the big Scottish show. It is also a tank engine so reasonably simple an slightly cheaper, but also has the huge cute factor similar to the recent SE&CR loco announcements. It could spawn an awful lot of ScBLTs if you combine it with the Hornby 2018  announcement. 

If so... Im out. 

Congratulations 'it's-er'!

We can reveal the winner of our competition is user id: 'it's-er'. Congratulations on winning yourself a 32-859Z Bachmann OO Gauge 9F 92000 TMC Limited Edition.

TMC EXCLUSIVE LNER CLASS G5 0-4-4T

TMC have commissioned Bachmann to produce an OO scale model of the G5 which will have a Next 18 Decoder interface, fitted speaker and Firebox LEDs. DCC Fitted, Sound Fitted and weathered options will be available from TMC workshop.

Dear All,

The Model Centre ['TMC'] have commissioned Bachmann to produce an OO gauge model of the LNER G5 0-4-4T locomotive. Whilst TMC have previously commissioned new tooling rolling stock from Bachmann [Mark 1 Horse Box, Plate Wagon and Double Bolster Wagon] this will be our first exclusive newly tooled locomotive.

Designed by Wilson Worsdell for the North Eastern Railway 110 of these locomotives were built between 1894 and 1901. The NER designated them as Class O, becoming Class G5 in LNER days. They served as passenger tank locomotives throughout the North Eastern Region lasting well into BR days. They could also be found on branch freight, station pilot and other duties. Some were transferred away from the North East in the 1930s, a small group migrating to the Great Eastern section at Stratford and then Cambridge. Another group was transferred to Scotland primarily for employment on pilot duties at Aberdeen and Inverurie Works, as well as at Keith and on the Banff branch. None of the class were preserved but The Class G5 Locomotive Co Ltd are well advanced with a new build locomotive. During their lifetime there were numerous detail alterations to the class. One of the most obvious alterations was the fitting of Push and Pull gear to a number of G5s during the 1930s. The first withdrawal of the class occurred in June 1948, but it was several years later before withdrawals gathered pace as DMUs took over many of the G5s traditional duties. A few managed to gain a Late Crest and at the beginning of December 1958 11 were still in service the last withdrawals being at the end of that month.

Chris Yates proprietor of TMC comments, 'With 26 members of the class based at some time during their life at either Whitby, Pickering or Malton sheds they were no strangers to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and consequently it seems a totally logical choice for us to commission this loco given that so many of them would have passed so close to the TMC premises at Hill Farm on Beck Hole Bank during their operating lives.' 

The model will have a Next 18 Decoder interface, fitted speaker and  Firebox LEDs. In addition to the factory fitted DCC ready versions DCC Fitted, Sound Fitted and weathered options will be available from the TMC workshop. No fewer than 10 models of the G5  have been commissioned  by TMC, each model having detail differences so no two models are the same. The differences include different boilers, bunkers, smokeboxes, smokebox doors, whistle positions, safety valves and other detail differences. 

One model in NER Lined Green will be the New Build G5. The Class G5 Locomotive Company Limited will receive £10 from the sale of each model of the new build, no 1759. Richard Maughan CEO of the The Class G5 Locomotive Company Limited commented,' We are delighted to assist TMC with this project; we want to bring back this lost North East legend and are already over two thirds of the way there, so to have a detailed OO gauge model of the G5 will be mutually beneficial to both organisations.' 

The price of the models will be determined closer to delivery. The project has been ongoing since March 2017 and is at the Detailed Research stage. The models to be produced will be as follows:

post-12002-0-35635600-1519382961_thumb.png

• Like 9

I tend to agree with your sarcasm Phil and the efforts to highlight the paucity of Scottish and NER models has obviously been noted and is starting to be catered for and bear fruit. Now that Scottish and NER is invited to the RTR party how about some proper Welsh RTR locos? Some Taff Vale or Rhymney entrants would be welcome or a GWR 1101 dock tank. Perhaps if I start my Taff Vale kits they will be announced in the usual Sod’s law way!

Well done TMC and Rails. These aren’t for me but there is no denying they aren’t needed and I hope they sell well.

• RMweb Premium

I was at the launch today, and was astonished and delighted that the G5 has been announced as an rtr model - I've been hoping for a G5 for a long time.

Many thanks to TMC for the award - I was quite taken aback when I got your note, as I've never won anything before! I hope the G5 is a great success for you, and build on your excellent Mk 1 Horse van and (soon coming) plate wagon models.

John Storey

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I welcome the announcement of the G5, especially as the new-build version is progressing well.

However as a follow-on, I would ask TMC to consider commissioning a suitable push-pull carriage to work with the loco.

A NER carriage is being restored as part of the 1903 Electric Autocar Trust project

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=909

whilst a Gresley push-pull carriage modified from a 4-compartment brake 3rd, survives, though incomplete, in Devon

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=960 (in preservation)

the push-pull end windows are more prominent on Paul Bartlett's photographs of KDE320759 at http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/erdepartmentalstock

The Gresley carriage could be modified from Hornby's version.

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

gc4946, I think it would be best for TMC to talk to Rapido as they have done about 75% of the work so far with the Rails of Sheffield Dynamometer car. So I would suggest they are a go too!  

Whilst I would have been ecstatic if a 439 had been announced here, I had that particular itch scratched by Rails and I’m well pleased for you NE guys landing this handsome wee fish.

As a matter of fact I’m pleased myself as the NE is my go-to second area of interest.

Tweedmouth had one or two of these that regularly ran up the river to Kelso and St Boswell’s until 1955, so that’s well into my remit.

Duly ordered!

D4.

Edited by Mad McCann
  • Like 1