Mumbles Railway Car 2

Hello Rmweb. 

As a fan of the Swansea & Mumbles Railway, I have always wondered about the history of Car 2, one of thirteen electric trams built for the railway in 1929. Besides the cab of Car 7, Car 2 was the only vehicle preserved upon closure in 1960. It was sent to the Middleton Railway in Leeds but sadly, Car 2 was broken up after being vandlised and set on fire circa 1968. 

However, it has been stated that the bogies/trucks survived and were sent to Crich for preservation. I have seen too many posts/videos for this to be untrue but I have never seen a photograph of the bogies/trucks. I was wondering whether the bogies are still at Crich and whether they are on public display. A photograph would also be greatly appreciated! 

Best Regards 

FirstGreatWestern 

• Like 1

An email or using a contact form direct to Crich might get some info. I've found them to be very amiable even if it takes them a while to find the right person to speak to. There's a car end in Swansea Museum - not sure from which one, but the building in which it's in has never been open when I've been there.

And the site of Rutland Street depot is probably about to be redeveloped for the second time since the railway closed. Time marches on. But you can enjoy a snack in the former electrical station near the Mumbles end.

• Like 2