Suffolk PO wagons - Why aren't there any?

Lu4472ke

On 30/10/2019 at 05:54, Johann Marsbar said:

Err..., the General Strike was 1926, the GER ceased to exist in 1923.

I checked my copy of the Wild Swan GER Engine Sheds book yesterday (Volume 2) and there are several official photos of Ipswich shed in it with coal stored in that style, the captions indicating it was "standard" procedure at that time. Rather amusingly, the shed turntable was completely surrounded by these (rather high) "walls" of stored coal, with just a space left for the single track leading to it!

There were miners' strikes in 1893-94 and 1912.  I suspect the stockpiling was in response to those.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I received a lovely Norfolk wagon today, Gardner's of Norwich.

It is a special commission by Bure Valley Railways done for them by Bachmann, and available from their shop, along with many other current items.

Not Suffolk but might be close enough to show up on your railway depending on your purpose.

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/15116/37-076R---7-plank-open-Gardner---BVR-Exclusive

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very nicely printed - can you read the oval Owner's plate and the registration plate? Gloucester builders plate. For once, I think there's no immediate reason to suppose that the prototype wasn't an RCH 1923 standard wagon. The 5-plank high lettering is very much an inter-war style. I hope it does well for the BVR.

• RMweb Premium

Yes you can read the Owners plate says "C E Gardner Owner Norwich".

You can even read the italic script to its left "For repair advise C E Gardner Norwich"

Is the registration plate the round one on the left ? I can read LNER on it but need a better magnifying glass to read the rest.

It seems the original wagon is referred to in Private Owner Wagons: A Second Collection" by Keith Turton though I don't have that book.

The commissioned wagon was released in August 2019.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dominion said:

Is the registration plate the round one on the left ? I can read LNER on it but need a better magnifying glass to read the rest.

Like this, except this example is from a wagon registered by the LMS:

image.png.0984e33e6f117bfc0878eb5ddc07a1b9.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dominion said:

It is a special commission by Bure Valley Railways done for them by Bachmann, and available from their shop, along with many other current items.

Not Suffolk but might be close enough to show up on your railway depending on your purpose.

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/15116/37-076R---7-plank-open-Gardner---BVR-Exclusive

..............it's a shame Hornby are proposing to produce the exact same wagon and with same number!

Paul

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PaulG said:

..............it's a shame Hornby are proposing to produce the exact same wagon and with same number!

Paul

Well, a shame for Hornby as their 10 ft wheelbase, steel framed monstrosity is way out...

• Agree 1

On 24/01/2020 at 20:07, Dominion said:

It is a RCH wagon built in 1935 by Gloucester - last of an order of 6, presumably nos 301-6.  The trader was first heard of in 1927 and these were possibly his first wagons, relying on colliery owned wagons before that. Appears an accurate livery as bulit even down to the blank 'Empty to' instructions. 

Unfortuately Mr Turton was unable to find out which of the 3 Norwich stations he was based at as that would give an indication of the route between the N Derbyshire/S Yorkshire collieries likely to have been used for supply. 

Tony

• Informative/Useful 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hijacking this thread to save opening anything else, there's a few wagon labels for sale at the moment relating to coal, coke and grain traffic bound for Bury St Edmunds mostly in LNER days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/collectortony99/m.html?item=383600363189&hash=item59505d06b5%3Ag%3ARn8AAOSw6mZe75yr&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Lu4472ke said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet is the Prentice Brothers of Stowmarket, a Chemical works. I'd quite like to model one of their 14 ton tanks, does anyone have any information on their livery?

1. Check Lightmoor Index.
  2. If "entry" = nil then result = "despair" else result = "bookshelf".
  3. If "bookshelf" = "nil" then [Place order with LIghmoor Press] else [reach for volume]

Running this algorithm, I find as Plate 27 of B. Hudson, Private Owner Wagons Vol. 4 (Headstock Publications, 1987) a 14 ton acid tank No. 10 of Prentice Bros. Ltd., Stowmarket, built by Chas. Roberts in 1927, on an RCH 1923 standard wooden underframe. Livery: red tank, light grey frame, black ironwork on solebars and running gear; colour of lettering not stated. As is usual with tank wagons at this period, there is a large cast plate fixed to a wooden block on the solebar - about 1.5" thick - that reads:

PRENTICE BROS LTD

CHEMICAL WORKS

No 10  STOWMRKET

White lettering on a black or red ground.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

1. Check Lightmoor Index.
  2. If "entry" = nil then result = "despair" else result = "bookshelf".
  3. If "bookshelf" = "nil" then [Place order with LIghmoor Press] else [reach for volume]

Running this algorithm, I find as Plate 27 of B. Hudson, Private Owner Wagons Vol. 4 (Headstock Publications, 1987) a 14 ton acid tank No. 10 of Prentice Bros. Ltd., Stowmarket, built by Chas. Roberts in 1927, on an RCH 1923 standard wooden underframe. Livery: red tank, light grey frame, black ironwork on solebars and running gear; colour of lettering not stated. As is usual with tank wagons at this period, there is a large cast plate fixed to a wooden block on the solebar - about 1.5" thick - that reads:

PRENTICE BROS LTD

CHEMICAL WORKS

No 10  STOWMRKET

White lettering on a black or red ground.

Thank you. What would be the best way to model that? I know that POW sides do the transfers.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Lu4472ke said:

Thank you. What would be the best way to model that? I know that POW sides do the transfers.

It might be possible to make a reasonably accurate representation using the tank off a Bachmann tank wagon (though it might be too large diameter) and a suitable kit underframe such as Cambrian C34

The same photograph is in the HMRS photo archive, ref. AAR529.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

Rather an odd beast for that date. The RCH specifications for 10, 12 and 14 ton tank wagons seem to have been updated in 1911 and 1927 but this is not like either of those. The 1911 drawings show a 10 ft 6 in. wheelbase on an 18 ft chassis and the 1927 drawing shows a 9 ft wheelbase on a 17 ft 6 in. chassis (Coppin "Oil on the rails", HMRS, 1999). And I do not understand Bill Hudson's comments about the end stanchions. The chassis is shorter than the standard but they are bent in rather than out (see the drawing opposite the plate of the Prentice wagon), so the tank is very much shorter than standard, and also a much smaller diameter than most tank wagons of the period - though more normal, it seems, for tanks carrying nasty chemicals. As it is stated to be a 14 ton wagon was the liquid involved rather dense? Of course hardly any two batches of tank wagons were the same as they were all built for specific traffics and users.

I am also surprised that a wooden chassis was being used that late. They had not been permitted on Class A tank wagons for many years. I don't know if there was a wooden underframe version of the 1927 RCH specification.

Quite a challenge to model other than the basic underframe which could be "borrowed" from a coal wagon kit.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 23/03/2018 at 14:47, ianLMS said:

Just a note to say that Model Junction's ...... Its a lovely little shop which I have been visiting regularly for over 30 years!!! Good stock of OO and N gauge with a few garden type locos (G scale maybe), lots of scenic stuff, track etc and a large array of Airfix models and RC cars etc. Highly recommend it for anyone visiting Bury St Edmunds!  

And a very nice Wetherspoon's in the centre of Bury St Edmunds too.
I have family in the area, thus an occasional visit from 'Way down West'. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Penlan said:

And a very nice Wetherspoon's in the centre of Bury St Edmunds too.
I have family in the area, thus an occasional visit from 'Way down West'. 

It used to be the Corn Exchange which hosted many decent heavy rock bands during the 80's. Spent many an hour head-banging against the speaker in my mispent yoof!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 13/10/2020 at 19:29, Furness Wagon said:

POWSides do a 7mm kit for the tank is a Charles Roberts standard acid tanker. I have one labelled for West Cumberland By-Products Flimby. It goes together quite will from what I remember.

Marc 

Do you know if they do the kit in OO?

Got this through the post from a very popular selling site beginning with E and ending with Bay this morning. Made by Mainline. I know its a container not a wagon, but I wanted to include it because of the Suffolk connection.

IMG_20210204_133808657.jpg

Edited by Lu4472ke