Eveleigh Creations - Great Eastern 4 & 6-Wheel Coaches

Edwardian

52 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I'm toying with using mine as a "heritage" train - use my Oxford L77 in grey with GER liveried coaches so might be interested too!

In which case, it would be good to see them in 1918 crimson

GER_coach_number_553_east_anglian_railway_museum.jpg.16e86c5cb365b12dca2e69bf90106a17.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello 

If I understand correctly, one orders these from easternandmidlandsmodels@gmail.com 

Is that right? 

Does anyone have prices? I'm interested in a D.404. 

Many thanks.  

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Hello 

If I understand correctly, one orders these from easternandmidlandsmodels@gmail.com 

Is that right? 

Does anyone have prices? I'm interested in a D.404. 

Many thanks.  

That's the correct email address yes. They are £45 each plus £3 postage.

• 1 month later...

Good evening,

I feel I should introduce myself - I'm David Eveleigh.   I tend to avoid social media as I had some nasty experiences a number of years ago, but have been very happy at my 'representation' by a number of people here - thank you James;  thank you Jon.   It is time however to 'meet the group'.

I have been working very hard in recent months at the 4 mm coaches, getting the kits built, designing chassis for the Four Wheelers, photographing everything and in the last week I have finally got around to learning the new software necessary and updating my website, www.eveleighcreations.com.   If you go on there now you will find pages for my etched kits including one for the GER compartment stock (four and six wheeled).   Inside there I have put links to some illustrated build sequences, which explain how to put the things together (including the 'clever' design elements) and instructions for each coach, together with a photo of what you get.

The current state of play with stock is:  I have everything in certain quantities.   The chassis for the four wheeled coaches (which build very, very nicely and quickly) will be arriving in mid to late September (with the first production etches for a kit for the Small England Engines of the Ffestiniog Railway in about 1900 condition).   I have ordered four wheeled chassis in similar quantities to the total number of sales of the bodies so far (and I will be contacting you by email if you have bought the four wheeled coach bodies in the past).   I can order extra to be added to the package and it will save me postage if this can be done sooner rather than when I need to put in a separate order.

You will notice from the website that I have gone ahead with the Wisbech tram coaches.   I did both the four wheeled and the bogie trams, together with brake van No.16.   As with my 2mm models I did years ago (and whose photos populate the 4mm page at the moment) I was pleased to incorporate the very obvious 'sag' of the bogie coaches, which apparently happened almost immediately they started running.

Enough for now - please have a look at the website - feel free to ask any questions (and point out any glitches with the 'site).

Best wishes,

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, David Eveleigh said:

And thank you, Tony - sorry.

Many thanks for the update David. I am concentrating on the District Railway carriages at the moment (5 bodies down, 5 to go) but as soon as your underframes are available, I will be cracking on with the GER ones.

The bodies were a real pleasure to put together.

Cheers

Tony Gee

Thank you David.  I look forward to both the 4-wheel chassis and the W&U coaches; No.16 is particularly welcome.

While Guy Rixon has kindly produced the 'castings' for the 4 and 6 wheel coaches via Shapeways, I have commissioned some GER coach transfers for them, both pre and post 1903 styles, and have included a request for W&T transfers, so I will let you all know once these become available.

Thank you again, David, for responding so magnificently to my original request for 4mm coaches, not least because you had to redesign for a new scale.

And welcome!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you, Tony, for your comments.   I don't suppose there is a chance, following our discussion on the phone, of you building these as sprung vehicles is there?   My idea was to file off the tabs as for the rocking 'W' irons at both ends and then somehow arranging sprung supports for both 'W' irons.

To 'Daddyman' - that is a nice picture and one I haven't seen before.   There are two I used for information which are in the Wild Swan 'Wisbech and Upwell Tramway' by Hawkins and Reeve (p16 - showing four and six wheeled trams) and The Wisbech & Upwell Tramway Centenary Album by Ingram (p53).   The new view is nice because it shows both bogie tram coaches together.   It also shows off the relief on the external roof ribs.  I arranged to have curved ribs to solder on next to half (un)etched strips across the roof to give the angle iron effect.

Good news from James about the transfers - one thing I don't need to worry about.   In a spirit of reciprocity (!) would you consider including 2mm scale versions of these in your request, please?

I have an idea Bucoops is know to me - but don't wish to blow your cover here.   I'm glad the instructions make sense - thank you.

I need to add the downloadable instructions for the chassis now which do exist, but I forgot to put them on when I was composing the page.

Best wishes,

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Eveleigh said:

To 'Daddyman' - that is a nice picture and one I haven't seen before. 

I'm pleased the photo has been useful. It's a fantastic resource. The search function is a bit odd (I came across this photo after searching "York LNER"!) but then that's the beauty of it. 

David, we "met" today over the D404 coach for the NSR. 

I have just been looking back through this discussion and 'Compound2632' asked about the extra ventilators over the side lights.   I think these were provided for better than third class compartments as one of the perks of higher class travel.   I have included holes in the panels which need a vent over them for reasons which are explained in the illustrated build sequences.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just supposing - someone were to think of doing some locomotive etch kits in 4 mm scale - and he would obviously want to make sure the ones he chose to do would be popular - what suggestions would you have for what prototypes you think they should be?   I am thinking No.1 Class 'Little Sharpie' 2-4-0 perhaps to kick off with.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, David Eveleigh said:

Just supposing - someone were to think of doing some locomotive etch kits in 4 mm scale - and he would obviously want to make sure the ones he chose to do would be popular - what suggestions would you have for what prototypes you think they should be?   I am thinking No.1 Class 'Little Sharpie' 2-4-0 perhaps to kick off with.

Perfect for me in 4mil.  A real favourite of mine and ideal for the byways of West Norfolk.  If the choice were mine, this would be my first choice.

The Peter K one is unavailable, so one from you would be the only, as well as, I daresay, the more user-friendly, option. 

After the the Little Sharpie, perhaps the Beyer A Class Lynn & Fakenham/M&GN 4-4-0?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, David Eveleigh said:

You'll maybe sell about 30...

I have had a couple of people express interest privately with firm orders for locomotives - I.e. they will put money up when I am ready to go ahead.   On that basis there is the possibility that I will be designing and having produced etched kits for :

Johnson No.1 class 'Little Sharpie' 2-4-0 (both original (Johnson cab, wing plates to the smokebox front, etc.) and rebuilt (new cab, plain smokebox, etc.) - these locos lasted in service from the 1870s to the early 1900s, the last one being withdrawn in 1913. 

'Intermediate' class T26 (LNER E4) 2-4-0 which lasted into the 1950s, including some of them working over the Stainmore line (if there is interest the larger cab could be offered as an added option) with one being preserved. 

I would be asking £90 for the loco etches and £50 for the tender in each case.   Boiler fittings, etc. would be made available separately via Shapeways.   I would need firm orders for at least eight kits (I.e. six more than the two I already have) of each type for either to take place.

The drawing work will take about one month where I would draw all the parts and compose them on the sheets.   As a part of the checking process I virtually fold up all the parts on the drawing, producing three elevations (two elevations and a plan) and then assemble all the parts to produce elevations for the complete kit.   This makes sure all the parts fit together.   I would ask people to pay 50% of the price before doing this work (as it is not worth proceeding without firm orders).

The two locomotives would each require three sheets of etch, one each for the loco bodies, the loco chassis and the tender.   Each loco and tender kit would cost me around £600 to bring it to production and I would be committing to that at the time I ask the etchers to process the drawings.   Therefore I would ask for the other 50% at that stage.

The etchers take around two months and if everything is satisfactory when I build the test etch they would start to be available from that stage - if I need to make adjustments it will take another couple of months - quite an involved process.

I would not be accepting money unless and until I have the required number of people prepared to proceed, but the projects are dependent on this support if they are to be done.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was going to suggest an E4 and would certainly be up for one and would give you a firm order. Then I could give up the hopeless fight against the Gibson one. I'd need the Stainmore cab though, but if you do one please don't follow the Lynn-Brooks drawings! 

The tender flares would need some real thought... 

• Like 1