Jump to content

Eveleigh Creations - Great Eastern 4 & 6-Wheel Coaches


Edwardian
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

The post 1919 carriage transfer sheet, very low res. Same price, different shape so I don't get them mixed up! £15 by cheque or bank transfer, £16 by Paypal. Contact me for info at [email protected]

Cheers, Ian

 

1072565050_GEType3post1919sheetbluelowres.jpg.145ed7aa89098f5cf6a356d0b0d89db9.jpg

will be getting a sheet from you soon, i need to watch my spending though as i just brought the pre 1919 sheet from you!

 

out of curiosity, how long do you expect these to be in stock?

Regards

Brad

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Brad, I haven't even printed them yet! Bucoops is looking into it and making sure I haven't missed anything. The above is just a guide, if I need to add anything, the layout will be moved around a bit to sort it.

Cheers, Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After a bit of a delay, the carriages have finally got a coat of paint. The period they are going to be is 1890s, so they are in a painted brown livery which seems reasonable for carriages already 20 odd years old.

 

I don't have a huge amount of information on the liveries of the time so I was wondering if the assembled experts might be able to help.

 

Were things like the buffer housings and steps and handrails on the end painted black or a brown to match the body colour? I am tempted to go for brown buffer housings and black steps and handrails but it would be good to know if that is correct.

 

I have applied a wood colour to the footsteps but again, I wonder if these would have been painted black as they are in some preserved examples.

 

Thanks in anticipation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

After managing to work out which bits I wanted which colour, the carriages have had a coat of "teak brown paint" and have been lettered and then "aged" to lose the varnished finish which was applied to help the transfers. They are supposed to be just about ready for withdrawal and they have had a hard life in the East End of London, with much pollution in the air.

 

The transfers are on but were not quite as easy as others I have used. Having to apply a white layer first, then a coloured layer means that you have a double thickness of backing paper to hide. It seemed to take ages to line up the coloured layer onto the white and even then there were bits where the white showed around the edges.

 

The "gold" is a yellow and red dot/stripe arrangement which doesn't look too bad with the naked eye but if you zoom in too much on a photo or use the sort of magnifiers I was using to line them up, it looks a bit odd.

 

Having said that, although it took ages to do them because you have to do everything twice, the results are much better than I could have managed by hand lettering and I am most grateful that they were available.

 

I only mention it so that anybody getting them knows what they are in for in advance!

 

Nearly there now. They each need a roof and an interior, which are made up and ready to go in and on, glazing, wheels and they are ready for action.

 

70157465_GER3rdClassCarriage.jpg.9693be0a5821c1ef3a4f8a06d387e451.jpg1739918489_GER1stClassCarriage.jpg.a453aa48b26fdbea156e9ff2adb263c0.jpg

 

51746367_GERBrake3rdCarriage.jpg.f5bd352fa94e19eebab5452956063c01.jpg

GER Brake 3rd Carriage.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Very good :) I know (from the GERS Journal) in the last years of the GER (when coaches were marked GE rather than GER) the crest was only used on carriages with first class accommodation - were crests used for your time period?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

Very good :) I know (from the GERS Journal) in the last years of the GER (when coaches were marked GE rather than GER) the crest was only used on carriages with first class accommodation - were crests used for your time period?

 

I have based that on a photo on the front cover of the GE Society No 21 (Jan 1980) which shows a Brake 3rd in approximately the right period for the ones I am working on and it doesn't have a crest.

 

My knowledge of the GER is not great and I have very little prototype information.

 

If I need to add a crest to the 1st Class carriage I am happy to do so. The date we are aiming for is around 1890, so any confirmation or any photos round about the date would be greatly appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

 

I have based that on a photo on the front cover of the GE Society No 21 (Jan 1980) which shows a Brake 3rd in approximately the right period for the ones I am working on and it doesn't have a crest.

 

My knowledge of the GER is not great and I have very little prototype information.

 

If I need to add a crest to the 1st Class carriage I am happy to do so. The date we are aiming for is around 1890, so any confirmation or any photos round about the date would be greatly appreciated.

 

There's a series of articles on coaching stock in more recent journals - they've not been offered digitally to members yet I believe but I will try and work out which ones they are in and then find them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I was recently reading through this fascinating post on monday evening, whilst researching GER coaches to build to run behind my Buckjumper, and decided to knock up a 3D model of one of the 4 wheel Brakes, mostly going off the excellent photographs posted by James on this thread, this one in particular I used for the general feel.post-25673-0-03228300-1520190279.jpg.6a120233f89d6e18cb12d6b6282bf542.jpg

 

So my questions to all you GER knowledgable folks is

There seems to be some unidentifiable details on the roof, what are these?

Would these coaches have had Gas pipes on the roof?

A gas tank underneath between the wheels?

On some Mid Suffolk Light Railway variations I have seen extra Grab Handles on the roof, would these have been on the GER versions?

What other details are potentially missing from this model

 

I have also just noticed the guards observation window in the ducket is way to high and needs dropping downGER_4WHL_BRAKE_2.jpg.a906a0724373b4daf18638af3b7ca8f2.jpgGER_4WHL_BRAKE.jpg.082a60317a67b2f196b754dc8ab7844b.jpg

 

Any thoughts or observations would be gladly welcomed, so I can knock up a third and a first to run behind this

 

Many thanks

 

Rob

  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

These are a set of six wheel GER coach drawings, but they do show many of the details you are asking about.  The link is quite safe as it goes to my own Dropbox account.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seaxwynxuxkk99t/AABB4RebBtyz4We5Tl4_QcWda?dl=0

 

I've just gone through my archive of old model railway magazine GER drawings and they are all sensationally useless when it comes to roof and underframe details.  The six wheel coach drawings I linked to are about your best bet.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Annie said:

These are a set of six wheel GER coach drawings, but they do show many of the details you are asking about.  The link is quite safe as it goes to my own Dropbox account.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seaxwynxuxkk99t/AABB4RebBtyz4We5Tl4_QcWda?dl=0

 

I've just gone through my archive of old model railway magazine GER drawings and they are all sensationally useless when it comes to roof and underframe details.  The six wheel coach drawings I linked to are about your best bet.

Wow thanks Annie, you are star, and this is super kind!  There seems to be very little on any of the GER coaches, especially the older 4 and 6 wheeler types, but these drawings are fantastic, I am super grateful for you sharing them, and looking at the details they do indeed have gas pipes and gas control on the ends of these carriages along with gas tanks below. And even more interesting I had no idea the GER had 6 wheel Clerestory coaches to, something that would look fantastic if I can model a rake of those to go on the layout. :) 

Cheers

 

Rob

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, woko said:

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I was recently reading through this fascinating post on monday evening, whilst researching GER coaches to build to run behind my Buckjumper, and decided to knock up a 3D model of one of the 4 wheel Brakes, mostly going off the excellent photographs posted by James on this thread, this one in particular I used for the general feel.post-25673-0-03228300-1520190279.jpg.6a120233f89d6e18cb12d6b6282bf542.jpg

 

So my questions to all you GER knowledgable folks is

There seems to be some unidentifiable details on the roof, what are these?

Would these coaches have had Gas pipes on the roof?

A gas tank underneath between the wheels?

On some Mid Suffolk Light Railway variations I have seen extra Grab Handles on the roof, would these have been on the GER versions?

What other details are potentially missing from this model

 

I have also just noticed the guards observation window in the ducket is way to high and needs dropping downGER_4WHL_BRAKE_2.jpg.a906a0724373b4daf18638af3b7ca8f2.jpgGER_4WHL_BRAKE.jpg.082a60317a67b2f196b754dc8ab7844b.jpg

 

Any thoughts or observations would be gladly welcomed, so I can knock up a third and a first to run behind this

 

Many thanks

 

Rob

 

This is K&ESR No.20 2-compartment Brake Third.  As such, I would expect it to be a Type 2B (according to John Watling's classification), 27' over the body built from about 1875.  As such it differs from the KE&SR No.9, which was an earlier design (1867) and only 21'8'' in length.

 

I assume you know all that, but just in case,  Here is the GERS Link

 

Here is the 3-compartment version, K&ESR No.22

 

1761250685_20210928_092612-Copy.jpg.10bef43bd3c02c8b91dba10077d9cf19.jpg

 

And I think this is the K&ESR set, running with a composite:

 

IMG_9128.JPG.c6b9c049c9db2e7eaf2c658e91156fb1.JPG

 

The GER fitted gas lighting on coaches from new from, IIRC, 1877.  At some point prior to disposal in the early 1900s, these coaches of yours would have been retrofitted with gas.

 

Query when torpedo vent were fitted and if to smoking compartments only.

 

I'll try to dig out some pictures of rooves of GER gas lit coaches for you.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

 

This is K&ESR No.20 2-compartment Brake Third.  As such, I would expect it to be a Type 2B (according to John Watling's classification), 27' over the body built from about 1875.  As such it differs from the KE&SR No.9, which was an earlier design (1867) and only 21'8'' in length.

 

I assume you know all that, but just in case,  Here is the GERS Link

 

Here is the 3-compartment version, K&ESR No.22

 

1761250685_20210928_092612-Copy.jpg.10bef43bd3c02c8b91dba10077d9cf19.jpg

 

And I think this is the K&ESR set, running with a composite:

 

IMG_9128.JPG.c6b9c049c9db2e7eaf2c658e91156fb1.JPG

 

The GER fitted gas lighting on coaches from new from, IIRC, 1877.  At some point prior to disposal in the early 1900s, these coaches of yours would have been retrofitted with gas.

 

Query when torpedo vent were fitted and if to smoking compartments only.

 

I'll try to dig out some pictures of rooves of GER gas lit coaches for you.

 

 

 

 

 

Morning James, I did not realise this, being a complete noob at this stuff, and of course on closer inspection I can faintly now see the K&ESR on the side, so will make some modifications to this 3d next week, and any roof details you may have, would be much appreciated, and thank you kindly for taking the time to help.

 

cheers

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad this has resurfaced as I am just about there with my builds of the etches. Since the last photos they are now glazed, have interiors, buffers and wheels. Just the detailing on the roof to do now. 

 

I have been having a look at the various suppliers to try to find the right sort of torpedo vents for these carriages (in 4mm scale). I hadn't realised that they were not on the 3D print which gave the other details plus the lamp tops.

 

Can anybody point me in the right direction. They look quite a bit bigger than many of the castings available, which look more modern. If the correct type is available, I would like to fit them. If not, I will have to go for the nearest.

 

3D printed, cast whitemetal or lost wax or even plastic moulded, I don't mind.

 

Thanks in anticipation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am glad this has resurfaced as I am just about there with my builds of the etches. Since the last photos they are now glazed, have interiors, buffers and wheels. Just the detailing on the roof to do now. 

 

I have been having a look at the various suppliers to try to find the right sort of torpedo vents for these carriages (in 4mm scale). I hadn't realised that they were not on the 3D print which gave the other details plus the lamp tops.

 

Can anybody point me in the right direction. They look quite a bit bigger than many of the castings available, which look more modern. If the correct type is available, I would like to fit them. If not, I will have to go for the nearest.

 

3D printed, cast whitemetal or lost wax or even plastic moulded, I don't mind.

 

Thanks in anticipation. 

I didn't put the Laycock vents on the print as I wasn't able to get to a GER one to measure it; no chance to get on the roof of the preserved coaches. Also, lots are available as castings and they don't vary all that much between railways.

 

If you think large vents are needed, and particularly if you want larger diameter relative to the point-to-point length, then I recommend the SE(C)R castings sold by Branchlines. PS: or the prints sold on Shapeways by Bluebell Model Railway Shop, which are a model of the same thing, but neater than the castings.

Edited by Guy Rixon
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

I didn't put the Laycock vents on the print as I wasn't able to get to a GER one to measure it; no chance to get on the roof of the preserved coaches. Also, lots are available as castings and they don't vary all that much between railways.

 

If you think large vents are needed, and particularly if you want larger diameter relative to the point-to-point length, then I recommend the SE(C)R castings sold by Branchlines. PS: or the prints sold on Shapeways by Bluebell Model Railway Shop, which are a model of the same thing, but neater than the castings.

 

Thanks Guy. I wish I knew just what sort of vents are needed. It is hard to tell from the photos I have seen. Older ones do tend to be larger. There are so many different ones available that I hoped somebody could tell me which ones were closest. I had seen the Bluebell ones and also some 3D printed ones for the GNR.

 

Tony

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 02/10/2021 at 19:48, Annie said:

Very nice work Rob.  :good:

Thanks Annie, and for your help, will post the prints once I start them all being well

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woko said:

Thanks Annie, and for your help, will post the prints once I start them all being well

Yes please Rob.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...