Eveleigh Creations - Great Eastern 4 & 6-Wheel Coaches

Edwardian

Scratch that, I think I've answered my own question! Zoomed in on the image of the 2mm examples (do excuse the resultant grainy image!) and it would appear some of the roof vents were wider?

post-33105-0-49925400-1532901325_thumb.png

Would this be for provision of smoking?

I can't help but notice that the roof etchings for Dia.101 and Dia.401 are very similar to that of Dia.501 in that there is a gap in the inner rain-strips (Is that the correct term?) and two sets of three holes at one end. On Dia.501 these align with the two compartments, which makes sense.

My question therefore is, for what purpose do these feature on Dia.101/Dia.401, or rather, what is the correct arrangement for roof detail on these two coaches?

Cheers in advance

James

I will ask David, but I interpret these as holes for ventilators, mounted either side of the lamp top.  I consider it likely that they relate to smoking compartments.

In the case of the First and the Third, they relate to the 2 end compartments.  This suggests they are smoking compartments.  In the case of the Third, I would expect a full-height partition separating them from the remaining three compartments.  I assume full-height partitions for each compartment in the First.

In the Brake Third, both compartments seem to have provision for the vents. 

I will ask David, but I interpret these as holes for ventilators, mounted either side of the lamp top.  I consider it likely that they relate to smoking compartments.

In the case of the First and the Third, they relate to the 2 end compartments.  This suggests they are smoking compartments.  In the case of the Third, I would expect a full-height partition separating them from the remaining three compartments.  I assume full-height partitions for each compartment in the First.

In the Brake Third, both compartments seem to have provision for the vents. 

Thank you for the information!

One thing I couldn't help but notice was that whilst the holes on the roof of Dia.101 (First Class) relate to the end two compartments, the holes on the roof for Dia.401 (Third Class) appear not to line up with the corresponding compartments as one may expect, with the roof section and subsequent hole spacing being identical to that of the roof for Dia.101? 

Scratch that, I think I've answered my own question! Zoomed in on the image of the 2mm examples (do excuse the resultant grainy image!) and it would appear some of the roof vents were wider?

attachicon.gifGER 4 wheelers 2.png

Would this be for provision of smoking?

Yes,indistinct though it is, what you are seeing over the 2 left-hand compartments of the Third and over the 2 passenger compartments of the Brake Thirds are vents either side of the lamp tops.

Thank you for the information!

One thing I couldn't help but notice was that whilst the holes on the roof of Dia.101 (First Class) relate to the end two compartments, the holes on the roof for Dia.401 (Third Class) appear not to line up with the corresponding compartments as one may expect, with the roof section and subsequent hole spacing being identical to that of the roof for Dia.101? 

Intriguing.  In the case of the First and Brake Third it looks as if they align with the compartment centre.  With the Third, they don't seem to.

I have had a swift reply from David confirming that these are holes for vents over the smoking compartments, and he points to a picture of a roof in an album edited by Swinger, which I don't have and David does not have to hand!

I'll try to find which album and to get hold of it.

Presumably you have copies of John Watling's articles on GER carriages published in the Great Eastern Railway Society Journal; eg  Journal 101 January 2000, Journal 103 July 2000 etc. Has anyone contact John?

Paul

Presumably you have copies of John Watling's articles on GER carriages published in the Great Eastern Railway Society Journal; eg  Journal 101 January 2000, Journal 103 July 2000 etc. Has anyone contact John?

Paul

No and no

No and no

John has published in the GERS Journal numerous illustrated articles on GER carriages since the 1970's and undertaken a research on GER stock for significantly longer.

It appears from the above its an issue of roof vents, presumably suitable photos would answer the query? I'll have quick look at a few Journal articles.

I've got a couple of the 4w/3rd's to use on my 1950's Colchester layout as grounded loco staff mess accommodation and a six wheel on order, but the roofs probably are significantly different to running condition!

Paul

John has published in the GERS Journal numerous illustrated articles on GER carriages since the 1970's and undertaken a research on GER stock for significantly longer.

It appears from the above its an issue of roof vents, presumably suitable photos would answer the query? I'll have quick look at a few Journal articles.

I've got a couple of the 4w/3rd's to use on my 1950's Colchester layout as grounded loco staff mess accommodation and a six wheel on order, but the roofs probably are significantly different to running condition!

Paul

Much appreciated, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Its an error on the etch the third roof is incorrect(actually a copy of first). David is going to get a sheet of replacements etched to replace these and will send them out when ready.

Regards

Jon

Now that's service :)

post-665-0-48670800-1533136021_thumb.jpgAs it happens my DVD of issues 1 - 150 of the GERS journal arrived today.

Enjoy the read - for my "sins" I was Journal Editor for 20 years!

Another photo from the GER "survey" of 1910 - 1911. This is a very large collection of photos some held by the GERS, some the NRM and some by the LCGB.

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 2

I've just finished a couple of David's 4-wheel 3rds for my Colchester layout. The one on the right was placed on a brick plinth, with doors cut into the ends for access (note problem with photo not the door frame!), whereas the later addition on the left retained its under-frame. The vehicle on the left has to be fitted with a couple of roof lights/vents and both heavy distressed, with windows and doors boarded up. As I haven't any colour views of these vehicles I'm guessing they would have been painted "black" and by 1953, much of the old timber showing through.

The kit went together fine, the roof etch wasn't an issue for me as by 1953 both vehicles had new canvas sheeting and all  fittings and rain strips removed. In his notes, David mentions issues with the door vents; I just turned the etch face down on a cutting mat and with a suitable size flat screwdriver and a couple of hits with hammer, I think a suitable shape can be achieved!

I just need David to finish the 6-wheel 3rd to fill the gap on the lower level and a NBR bogie carriage body (as photo) for the higher level.

Paul

post-665-0-96251300-1533806708_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-72096700-1533807072_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulG

I've just finished a couple of David's 4-wheel 3rds for my Colchester layout. The one on the right was placed on a brick plinth, with doors cut into the ends for access (note problem with photo not the door frame!), whereas the later addition on the left retained its under-frame. The vehicle on the left has to be fitted with a couple of roof lights/vents and both heavy distressed, with windows and doors boarded up. As I haven't any colour views of these vehicles I'm guessing they would have been painted "black" and by 1953, much of the old timber showing through.

The kit went together fine, the roof etch wasn't an issue for me as by 1953 both vehicles had new canvas sheeting and all  fittings and rain strips removed. In his notes, David mentions issues with the door vents; I just turned the etch face down on a cutting mat and with a suitable size flat screwdriver and a couple of hits with hammer, I think a suitable shape can be achieved!

I just need David to finish the 6-wheel 3rd to fill the gap on the lower level and a NBR bogie carriage body (as photo) for the higher level.

Paul

Brilliant.  I was hoping someone would want to use these as grounded coach bodies, as the GER seems to have used a lot of such coaches as grounded bodies. Such a nice change from the Ratio GW 4-wheeler (a comparatively modern coach).

They are looking really good.

Interesting tip regarding the door vents.

I think this will do, the carriage bodies are at the back of the layout; I've gone for a faded black "livery", anyway it looks black in the black and white photos I have! 

The carriage body to the right was for the Running Foreman office, next to the shed masters office. The carriage body to the left was for the tube sweepers, boiler makers and engine cleaners mess. On the Foreman's office, it looks like they used old wagon sheets to cover damaged panels. 

Just waiting for David to produce the six wheeler for the driver and fireman mess.

post-665-0-89350000-1534014634_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I think this will do, the carriage bodies are at the back of the layout; I've gone for a faded black "livery", anyway it looks black in the black and white photos I have! 

The carriage body to the right was for the Running Foreman office, next to the shed masters office. The carriage body to the left was for the tube sweepers, boiler makers and engine cleaners mess. On the Foreman's office, it looks like they used old wagon sheets to cover damaged panels. 

Just waiting for David to produce the six wheeler for the driver and fireman mess.

They look great! It's a shame such nice coaches have been treated that way - but that's what happened to them!

They look great! It's a shame such nice coaches have been treated that way - but that's what happened to them!

I'm not sure in 1950's I'd want to travel on the GE main line in a four-wheel carriage built 70 years previous; 4-wheel carriages on preserved lines doing 25mph is at best "interesting"! 

Paul 

They look spot on!

Perfect

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The question of 4mm scale carriage door vents has been raised elsewhere on RMWeb, and I thought that it might be worth considering 3D-printed alternatives in the case of the GE coaches: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137523-carriage-door-vents-00-gauge/?p=3299761

Presumably they could be expoxied to a brass side?