Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Alan Jones (Banbury MRC founder)

DJM Dave

It is with great sadness that i have to announce the death due to ill health of my father Alan Jones.

Dad was, along with myself, the co founder of the Banbury Model Railway club, exhibition (where he was show manager for a few years), the 'International Model Exhibition' at Stoke Mandeville , and subsequently RAF Halton, raising hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity, and earning him an OBE nomination.

One time railwayman at High Wycombe station where he acted as a shunter, he gave that up after seeing a friend tragically die doing the same job. He became station manager at Saunderton, and remembers his first view of 6000 King George v, on a freight train up Saunderton bank through the station as he was lighting the signal lamps.

He encouraged me enormously, with model railways, and the real thing, and its true to say i'm where i am now because of him.

No small modeller himself, as he was a dab hand with 'plastic padding' car filler in the 70's and he made me, from 2 Minitrix warships 2 x HST bodyshells, painted , lettered, and mounted ahead of suitable painted Minitrix mk1 coaches (yes i know).

Right up until this last Saturday, i was looking at his model railway in his house and thinking, it would be nice to see it 'in anger' once more. However, that's not to be.

Dad did lots of things in his life, getting me into Pinewood and Bray film studios where i became so familiar to staff i had the run, as a 10-15 year old, of the place, often regaling him of my experiences on various film sets during the days i spent there.

Days were also spent at Taplow or Tring in the 70's watching the 50's bed in on the Western, and the Electrics seemingly ply their trade so effortlessly at Tring.

Dad was also into sub aqua , and was the founder member of the Wycombe Sub Aqua club.

Anyway, lots more to tell, but would take a book.

Rest in peace dad, i love you.

D. x

• RMweb Premium

So sorry Dave. I've lost both my parents over the last two years so I feel for you. There isn't a day I don't think of them. Lots of happy memories and like you I've got them to thank for where I am today.

I think it is important to take time to grieve . Be with your family. His spirit goes on within you.

Best wishes

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, if you get a moment, and especially knew dad, could you spare a bought at 2.30pm today (Friday) as dads funeral is held at Mint Lynn Crematorium in Kings Lynn.

You get to an age, as I am, where people you knew, or both of and dad knew, have also passed this last 2 years , Fred, Rod etc from Banbury MRC, Pete Tyson who never looked a day over 50 from Trinders modelshop in Banbury and a host of others I cannot readily remember this morning.

Anyway, please, if you have have the time, spare a thought.

Cheers

Dave

I remember Alan coming up to me and asking me to find layouts for the first International Modern Show at Stoke Mandeville it all came together and his enthusiasam carried everybody along and it went well ,one year I met Arthur Dayley who opened the show a very pleasent man.Alan did a great deal for charity and was always good to meet at other events ,sorry for your loss he will be greatly missed hope you are all okay and the pain will pass. Chris Lowe ex R&DMRC