Cavan & Leitrim Trackwork

Middlepeak

Hello All,

I'm playing around with a C&L layout design for a friend, using Templot.

What I'm after is the general dimensions and spacing for plain track sleepers and turnout timbers. Can anyone help or point me to a suitable source of this information on line?

Thanks in anticipation.

Geraint Hughes

There is not much detail on C&L track in the main book (Flanagan), but it looks pretty similar to other 3ft lines.

These notes are copied from the Irish 3ft Yahoo group ( https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/irish_three_foot/conversations/topics/9484 )

"CDR: 6ft x 9ins

L&LSR: 6ft x 9ins; 2ft 6ins apart
Schull & Skibbereen: 6ft x 8½ins; 3ft 1” apart, 2ft 3” at joints
West Clare: 6ft x 10ins; 3ft apart, 2ft at joints

Flanagan simply refers to original C&L 45 lb rail being in 27 ft lengths and of sleepers says the the Company up to 1917 bought sleepers in cut lengths, but no mention of dimensions.
And yes, rail lengths as you say - CDR, LLSR, S&S all 30ft lengths, West Clare 24 - 30ft (according to Patrick Taylor and C&L as mentioned 27ft.

You're welcome.

To add a bit - first the Donegal and Lough Swilly were generally on a larger scale than lines like the C&L, so may be less applicable.

The Schull and Skibbereen details are probably a better guide, also the Tralee and Dingle - 30ft rail lengths, sleepers minimum 5' 11", 8" x 4" section, 2' 10" apart, but 1' 8" at rail joints. Sharpest curve 3 chains. (from 'The Dingle Train').

I would add these dimensions, for all these lines, generally seem to come from the inspection of the newly-built line, whether they remained the same for the next 50 years or so is another matter. Often the line was wholly or partially relaid later with heavier rail than the 40lb or so most started with - I haven't seen any mention of whether sleepering dimensions changed then.

The C&L in particular, I believe, by c1930 had been pretty much completely relaid with second-hand rail of heavier section from broad-gauge companies - mostly c 65-70lb, some as heavy as 80.

• 2 weeks later...

The Schull & Skib rolling stock had one of the smallest loading gauges of them all, so I'd go for something bigger perhaps. The West Clare would be a better equivalent. 

jhb171Senior always said that the C & L track, in great contrast to its rolling stock, was very well built and maintained to the end.

The Schull & Skib rolling stock had one of the smallest loading gauges of them all, so I'd go for something bigger perhaps. The West Clare would be a better equivalent. 

jhb171Senior always said that the C & L track, in great contrast to its rolling stock, was very well built and maintained to the end.

Yes, fair point about the S&S.

Though I think the Tralee and Dingle is perhaps a better comparison that the West Clare, which had some quite large motive power?

I think it is worth bearing in mind that the above information generally relates to the original construction which was soon found to be too light in some cases. According to Flanagan the C&L started relaying in 1905 with second-hand 60-65lb and then 80lb rail with the GSR completing the job. Again no information about the sleepers. The WCR started with 74lb replacement rail in 1905 and the GSR completed the job between1926 and 1938 although the 2ft sleeper centres quoted by Patrick Taylor seems a bit OTT. The best bet for modellers is to study photographs from your chosen era.

Phil

Edited by Colne Valley Kid