TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to TMC on another highly anticipated announcement!

The loco has been in the High Polling segment of the annual Wishlist Poll since 2015 and finished in approx overall position =63 in 2016.

We wish the organisations involved every success with the venture.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Aye, that's canny, very canny.

18 months to wait?  Suits me - time to save the pennies and/or 2019 birthday present sorted.  It will still be running before I get my Dave Bradwell J27 built.

Ralph

Lambton 58

We can't wait either! here is our order form if anyone would like to print off and post to us rather than email or place the order online. If nothing else, its a bit nicer to look at than a big wall of text.

post-12002-0-86019700-1519401806_thumb.jpgpost-12002-0-63553800-1519401824_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

What is good is that we now have 4 big retailers doing bespoke models rather than extra runs or variances on existing toolings.

It's curious, given that Bachmann (David Haahouse) previously said they would not be doing any more commissions in the future, with the last one being Kernow's 4TC. Does this mean that TMC (G5) and Rails (Caley 0-6-0) are putting up some development cash? One would not of thought that was needed, given both have been high in wish lists, or is it a way of keeping prices up and preventing discounting (only being cynical, I know). Obvs the announcement are good news for 2020....

Well b*gger me!

Another excellent prototype, and, again, the commissioner is to be especially commended for including an 'in service' pre-Grouping version.  'Well done' and 'thank you' to TMC.

To be quite candid, the NER branch tank I dreamt of was a BTP, but would I take a RTR O Class instead? Abso-bloody-lutely! 

Definite sale, even if I have to sell a close relative.

Also, like the Caley 0-6-0, I am glad this has gone to Bachmann. I think it is good for the retailers to support the manufacturers, rather than compete with them, and I feel both projects are in safe hands.

Really chuffed with this one.

Now, how about a C Class (J21) in W Worsdell green?

• RMweb Premium

Terrific news! I hope this venture is a real success for TMC - I've been hoping the G5 would be produced one day. Today, the day finally arrived! Hornby's Gresley and Thompson non corridor coaches will go well with these.

John Storey

• RMweb Premium

It's curious, given that Bachmann (David Haahouse) previously said they would not be doing any more commissions in the future, with the last one being Kernow's 4TC. Does this mean that TMC (G5) and Rails (Caley 0-6-0) are putting up some development cash? One would not of thought that was needed, given both have been high in wish lists, or is it a way of keeping prices up and preventing discounting (only being cynical, I know). Obvs the announcement are good news for 2020....

Bachmann changed their view in August 2017 - it was covered on RMweb at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125127-bachman-tooling-for-third-parties-again/

It is lovely that we are now seeing announcements around this.

John Storey

With the original NER condition version, I get the 2-rails to the bunker (I assume they mean no cage), but at what point were the Westinghouse cylinders moved from the back of the tank (i.e. inside the cab) to the leading edge of the tank?  I assume TMC intends to represent the latter, because the pump wouldn't be visible otherwise.

I'd be interested to know.

Great news for North Eastern fans. Hapoy to take credit for this announcement as recently taken delivery of my Dad’s Old Nu Cast kit for the G5 and bought a chassis to build under it, the former having sat in a drawer for 30+ years so Dad’s layout based on Harrogate can have the Pateley Bridge Branch Loco, 67253 appear.

Now to build the kit, or renumber one of the TMC ones, that is the question...?!!

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Magnificent. I was only thinking earlier this week that a G5 is a model that is long overdue, and will be so perfect for all of us who model the NER/LNER/BR. Between Beverley and Hull, a most intensive service was operated by the LNER with mainly Sentinel steam rail cars. Once they had been withdrawn, it went over to Push Pull and G5’s. With carriages I already have, I’ll be able to replicate that service perfectly! And, of course, many other lines radiating out of Hull, including the former Hull and Barnsley line, had many local passenger services formed of ex NER/Gresley/Thompson non corridor carriages, hauled by a G5.

So I’m just so pleased. Such a big gap is filled, and I’ll be pre ordering at least three of them, maybe more. ;). And one can be made into the engine which had the extra long water tanks - I have a couple of pictures of it at both Hull and Beverley.

Thank you, TMC/Bachmann.

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

With the original NER condition version, I get the 2-rails to the bunker (I assume they mean no cage), but at what point were the Westinghouse cylinders moved from the back of the tank (i.e. inside the cab) to the leading edge of the tank?  I assume TMC intends to represent the latter, because the pump wouldn't be visible otherwise.

I'd be interested to know.

According to Ken Hoole's An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives (OPC, 1988), the Westinghouse pump was originally in a cupboard in the cab; the drawing for the position in front of the LH tank was prepared in 1912. The questions for TMC are: how easy will it be to remove the pump and are there any livery implications? It's not quite clear to me from the photos in Hoole's book whether the fronts of the tanks were lined prior to the pump move: there are two broadside views; then two showing the LH side with pump and no lining, and one RH view which appears to show no lining, but it's unclear where the pump is on this engine. Other tank engine classes in Wilson Worsdell green livery do have the front of the tanks lined.

Edited by Compound2632