TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

33 minutes ago, SAXONIA said:

Blimey this is another long winded release then. The real thing might be running before this hits the shops

In got caught up in the restructuring that Kader Industries had to go through (Kader being the parent of Bachmann) that has caused delays to Bachmann products for about the last 4 years - but the important thing is that Bachmann/Kader are now making very good progress in getting the backlog of announcements made and the worst is a year in the past.

The good news is that the stuff Bachmann is putting out now looks very good - for example look at the EP samples from a couple of months ago for the Rails/Bachmann Caley loco -

So it should be a very nice model when it finally arrives.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember pre-ordering both Caley 812 and G5 at Model rail Scotland a couple of years ago when they were both launched its interesting how Rails have Livery samples this week and Tmc seem to have a further delay.  I wonder if there have been issues getting information/drawings for G5 where as the 812 can be measured from the real thing and back dated as needed?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, shunny said:

I wonder if there have been issues getting information/drawings for G5 where as the 812 can be measured from the real thing and back dated as needed?

As there’s a full size replica G5 well on the way to completion, whose 

owners seem to be associated with the TMC model project, I don’t think lack of dimensional & drawing info will be an issue.  It seems much more likely that, as it’s a commission (and a niche one) from Bachmann that it’s got a fairly low priority in the Bachmann scheme of things whilst they try to sort out their well-publicised model production delays - with Covid-19 added on top!

It will appear when it appears. No one’s going to die if it is delayed.

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Spulling mistooks
  • Agree 1

I had forgotten about the rebuild I was just curious how 1 commission is so much further along than the other as both launched at same time maybe Rails have been pushing there project along quicker with Bachmann.  But as you say  it will get here eventually. 

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You're making an assumption they were both at the same stage when announced, that may not be the case.

Very true I guess Bachmann will give retailer the choice of what stage in project to announce it to the public.

• 3 weeks later...

We are pleased to share with you CAD images for our forthcoming Bachmann G5 0-4-4T. There are still a few tweaks to these CAD images so are not final but are very close. All tooling combinations  for the locos can be found on our website: www.themodelcentre.com

35-250Z-1.png.2e56b83fbed16fd5c199e02e2cc4f7c4.png35-250Z

35-256Z-2.png.bd81b9bfa2ef648c3e1caca55fe1b124.png35-256Z

This is without doubt the most complicated project TMC has ever been involved in, and whilst it is taking longer than originally anticipated we believe the end result will be worth the wait. The real loco had so many minor [and not so minor!] variations presenting challenges for everyone involved, hence why it has taken time to get to this stage. 

Examples of variations that will be tooled include:-

Round or Triangular Cab Rear windows

Coal rail, Cage or Hopper & Cage Bunkers

Taper or Group Standard Buffers

Forward or Rear Dome Boilers

Ramsbottom or Ross Pop Safety Valves

With or Without Vacuum Brakes

Cab Roof or Cab Front Whistle Positions

Smooth or Rivetted Smokebox Wrappers

Different Smokebox Doors

Wheel or Handle Smokebox Darts

With or Without Push Pull Gear

With or Without Westinghouse Pumps

The list could have been longer but whilst tooling variants to give maximum flexibility are what we aimed for the final cost to the customer also has to be a consideration. Consequently a number of identity changes to what was originally announced have had to be made, and 2 locos will not be able to be tooled from the combinations available at this time.  Apologies to our customers affected by the changes detailed below. Each of the variants to be offered will have a different combination of tooling.

Item 35-250Z will now be produced as loco number 2093 with a Coal Rail Bunker

Item 35-256Z will now be produced as loco number 67282 with a Hopper Bunker

Item 35-259Z will now be produced as loco number 67261 with a Cage Bunker

Unfortunately we have had to take the decision not to have 35-257Z & 35-258Z produced at this time.

With research having been completed and CADs well underway, Engineering Prototypes are expected during 2021. As soon as we have further news to share we will of course do so. Thank you to those of you who have pre-ordered already and shown your support for this project.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2020 at 09:45, tmc said:

Unfortunately we have had to take the decision not to have 35-257Z & 35-258Z produced at this time.

Can someone more knowledgeable confirm that this means there is no longer a Scottish Region example being produced, please?

Best

Scott

23 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Can someone more knowledgeable confirm that this means there is no longer a Scottish Region example being produced, please?

Best

Scott

I think it's both the Scottish one and GER section one. Had a quick look at the allocations and seems to be no other ScR ones.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=600705&type=S&page=alloc

I wanted the latter but might go for a different BR one. But not yet as I've got to many pre-orders at present.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think it's both the Scottish one and GER section one. Had a quick look at the allocations and seems to be no other ScR ones.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=600705&type=S&page=alloc

I wanted the latter but might go for a different BR one. But not yet as I've got to many pre-orders at present.

Jason

Thanks Jason, that’s what I thought but I wanted to check.

Best

Scott. 

Ahh, my bank account has just made a sigh of relief again. unfortunate that it has pushed out so far but there is nothing we can do... just enjoy life and finish other models until it turns up! 

Wonder if they will have the full sized new build running by that time? 

Edited by DougN
  • Agree 1

Yes it is a relief for the hip pocket, but I was hoping for mid next year. That is how it goes sometimes.

Patience.

I have just got a A8 going.  It had a Portescape motor/gearbox, but needed some diodes and extra pickups and runs very nicely now.

We LNER modellers have a few new models due in the early to mid 2021. W1 in several guises (only ordered original), A2/2 and 3, V2,  J27 and GNR cab 02/1-2.  Have I missed any.

I have in my collection a couple of new kits, B16 (DJH) and a D20 (DJH), a couple of G5's (NC and LRM) and a V3 (NC).

I think they are getting on with the G5 too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Am I correct in thinking that the GE version is one of the discontinued/withdrawn items?

257 is the GE version

LNER G5 Class 0-4-4T No. 67322 BR Lined Black Early Emblem with Westinghouse pump and 2-rail cage back bunker
[Great Eastern area loco]

• Thanks 1