TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Of course the problem might lie with us the modellers who may not have ordered this particular variant to make it cost effective.

Look back over the last page and a half and you will see several posts to the effect, that's a pity I was going to order one of those.

In other words people haven't ordered and TMC have had to take the hard decision - probably not an easy one given that they will already have expended time and much research to make one. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are a lot of detail differences catered for in the tooling suite already, and a few of them have been dropped presumably to save the end cost for the commissioner, and ultimately, us as end consumers.

If you want a particular variant not catered for, there's always the option of getting the one closest to what you want and modifying it to suit.

I'm not sure that reliance on manufacturers programs is an issue, as the intent was there initially, but cost will most likely have been the deciding factor in the curtailment of two of the announced models. There are still a decent number of options for the initial release.

Cheers

J

• Agree 3

On 12/11/2020 at 19:40, peterfgf said:

TMC are showing the release date as "Expected 1 Jul 2022".  I am seriously fed up (******* deleted) with that.

Peterfgf

I should have included a link:

https://www.themodelcentre.com/oo-gauge/limited-editions-oo-gauge?range=84

I called TMC last week to change my order and had a nice chat with the chap on the other end.  He confirmed that the expected delivery date is July 2022. 

Peterfgf

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
On 01/12/2020 at 07:21, peterfgf said:

I called TMC last week to change my order and had a nice chat with the chap on the other end.  He confirmed that the expected delivery date is July 2022. 

Peterfgf

That’s really disappointingly slow. It’s already been a long time since the announcement. 

On 15/02/2021 at 00:12, OOgaugeJaf said:

That’s really disappointingly slow. It’s already been a long time since the announcement. 

Yes but I expect the issue is getting the run made and by Bachmann getting room for production. The removal of some options this time round just means that its easier to get the ones made as theres less tooling changes for the production. Get some made, get cashflow in, make others later. Bachmann can then press on with looking for space within its range for getting the models made and brought to market so that the timespan and delays don't keep extending like other products in their range. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It must be difficult for the likes of TMC, Rails, Kernow and so on.  With lockdown there has been an upsurge in interest in railway modelling and the primary manufacturers like Bachmann (Kadar) will be keen to maximise their own advantages through this upsurge.   This will lead to production for third parties will tend to be pushed back where that can be done.  

53 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

It must be difficult for the likes of TMC, Rails, Kernow and so on.  With lockdown there has been an upsurge in interest in railway modelling and the primary manufacturers like Bachmann (Kadar) will be keen to maximise their own advantages through this upsurge.   This will lead to production for third parties will tend to be pushed back where that can be done.  

I don't think that's the case. I think if anything Kader are looking to see what can make money and have good overheads. Making model trains is complex where as the company has other options across its range and they can have a greater profit margin. Bachmann then need to get production space and when they do have to balance needs of their range, but delaying third party projects will then cost them as it will deter future work such as this. Third party contracts means that they are fronting the costs of development and it will be interesting to see how many of these enter the Bachmann catalogue range at a later date - as in the past some projects have, such as GW City class or they have allowed a variation of a class such as NRM GN Atlantic allowing the Southern type in Bachmann range. I personally think shop commissions direct will remain to them but just be continued to be supplied and made by Bachmann. 

11 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I’m not convinced this is an issue given that this was announced well before lockdown. There seems to be a green where Rails works with Dapol, Kernow worked with DJM then EFE, while TMC sticks with Bachmann (noticeable on their buildings). Long term none of those main manufacturers would want to damage the relationship with that retailer, especially how often those items enter a wider range and their position as a vendor. Additionally it would be difficult for the manufacturers to rearrange their delivery schedules even if demand for one thing (e.g. BR blue diesels) surged while interest in another (e.g. pre-grouping steam) dropped. 

• RMweb Premium

I very carefully said that dates would be pushed back " where that can be done".

I am not suggesting that dates would be pushed back willy-nilly, but any project involving a third party model production will have a set of break points.  Around these dates will be an estimated production date.  If any of those break points are missed then the manufacturer can either try and reschedule production to maintain the third party's production date,  or he can say quite legitimately, sorry we missed the target date for this step, the best new date I can give you is.....

A break point might be something as banal as a payment receipt, but is more likely to be things like signing off CADs, agreeing technical points etc..

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure the original timescale made assumptions about cash flow from TMC's other exclusive commissions and limited editions, some of which have arrived later than expected through no fault of TMC, and indeed may not have sold through as quickly as they would have liked either. We will never know, nor should we, but every business has to work within constraints be it technical, commercial or supply chain. I'm sure it will be a good model when it comes, and I will try to patiently wait for mine.....and ponder relieving them of some bolster wagons in the meantime.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Aha - TMC now has photographs of the engineering sample of their forthcoming G5 on their web pages!  Best accessed from here

https://www.themodelcentre.com/oo-gauge/locomotives-9?range=84

There are 4 photos of the 2 rail bunker version, and 4 of the cage bunker with hopper version. I imagine there are the usual caveats about engineering samples - that they are designed to ensure various permutations work together, and don't necessarily represent that particular model as it will finally be produced.

I don't see any sign yet of these photos on TMC's Facebook page, nor on this thread, but no doubt that will follow.  To my mind, these look superb and wonderfully detailed.

John Storey

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

This looks as if it will be a superb model. I've just placed an order for 67263. This was allocated to the Durham / Sunderland area for much of the 1940s and 1950s, and was one of the locos shedded at Durham for a while. There's a fine Ron Buckley photograph of her at Gateshead in 1952 in immaculate condition after a repaint, but mine will be rather dirtier. 

• RMweb Gold

Looks very promising — looking forward to livery samples (although Bachmann seldom if ever get that wrong). Certainly looks like an excellent model — a good thing because it is highly likely this will be the only model of the class ever made.

Thank you for the positive comments, we too think they look superb.

As has already been correctly identified the images on our website are from the two EP1 samples produced so do not actually represent a specific model. We have put them on our website because we thought people would like to see that real progress is being made. The next step will be for an EP2 to be produced and then a livery sample of each model. The 8 models being produced are all different in detail so at the stage we get liveried samples we will not only put them on our website but post them on here with details of the differences on each model. We can’t at this stage give you a date for that, but will post on here once we have more news.

G5Hopper-1.jpg.ebd3520db1288d656fdef84c380dfefe.jpgG5-1.jpg.7da5970351306808fd74836caca2d78c.jpgG5Hopper-2.jpg.a93f13abe69e0c7bd436b8ac8783fda8.jpgG5-2.jpg.3d11477e60bcbcd6a1b3aa2f43d68852.jpgG5Hopper-4.jpg.cfcd1979f233a7a0df0d8560f7fb01bb.jpgG5-4.jpg.0e0d0b939f6cc289fe85d00ec73d48b7.jpgG5Hopper-3.jpg.9ede18b9215e276bb63cbdb3fe0cf59e.jpgG5-3.jpg.fb1e8c234a5c97e5175f9315fdff3211.jpg

These samples look good, but I will not be pre-ordering one. One reason is the dropping of the GE section version which would have fitted my main modelling area.

However I may have been one of the people responsible for it being dropped, as I don't want to pre-order a model whose retail price is unknown. The way that loco prices are going at the moment, and a delivery date of  July 2022 this could be the first £200 tank loco! Based on the Model Rail 16xx which is only an 0-6-0.  With pre-ordering being the only way to ensure you get models, there may be other models that I would like in the pipeline by then and my bank balance might not take the hit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Keen on ordering one when the time comes. I have a kit built in P4 and one that is not yet complete. There I should something about them that I find very attractive. 

Please excuse my ignorance but can someone tell me what the two vertical projections are on the front and rear buffer beams on pictures 1,3,5 & 7 above?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

The models look excellent by the way and I look forward to getting one.

7 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Please excuse my ignorance but can someone tell me what the two vertical projections are on the front and rear buffer beams on pictures 1,3,5 & 7 above?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

They look like electrical connections that would be connected to the coaches

Can't tell you their purpose on these loco's but similar connections I've seen on heritage coaches today are for electric lighting controls.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

They look like electrical connections that would be connected to the coaches

Can't tell you their purpose on these loco's but similar connections I've seen on heritage coaches today are for electric lighting controls.