TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

19 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Nice video, thanks for posting. I couldn’t get past the colour mismatch of the dome on the NER green version so I contented myself with an LNER one. It’s a delightful model.

Thanks No Decoram.  I do believe it is  a growing problem where manufacturers mix and match metal and plastic.  There are similar issues with Rapido's 15xx and 16xx pannier tanks which are metal and the cab is plastic.  Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Thanks No Decoram.  I do believe it is  a growing problem where manufacturers mix and match metal and plastic.  There are similar issues with Rapido's 15xx and 16xx pannier tanks which are metal and the cab is plastic.  Cheers Ray

Enjoyed that little clip - even on DC it demonstrates that the sound project is good (though that step change is quite abrupt but that wouldnt happen on DCC) . On the subject of metal and plastic I think digital photography and video can magnify differences that arent anything like as apparent to the naked eye. Just looking at my 15xx - can't see any difference in shade between the cab and the tanks. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Agree it’s very obvious on that example but on mine - also 1504 - no such contrast visible to my naked eye

Yes - I am very disappointed with Rapido.  My 15xx is a permanent reminder of Rapido's poor quality control.  Regards  Ray

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone still trying to make a decision on these models, I recently did a review of the preserved G5/O Class model.

For full disclosure, TMC sent me this model for review but they have not had any say over my comments and I’ve tried to produce an unbiased video as much as possible. Obviously just bare that in mind while watching and hopefully you can make your own mind up from the close ups rather than relying on my thoughts alone.

For those who just want to see the loco running (with sound!) skip ahead to 12:48

• Like 4

Nice review.

However not mentioned in the review.

They have  fitted 1930's LNER Parallel Buffers not the NER Taper Buffers as used in that period.

There appears to be a large join "gap'on the Boiler top behind the Dome's location.                                                                                     

Poorly moulded "Handrails" on the Cab sides access area. It would have been easier to have simply added the Doors to the Body moulding, instead of supplying them as seperate items. 

Mentioned in the video, but I am still not convinced re the different Green colour of the Dome .

Edited by micklner

8 minutes ago, micklner said:

Nice review.

However not mentioned in the review.

They have  fitted 1930's LNER Parallel Buffers not the NER Taper Buffers as used in that period.

There appears to be a large join "gap'on the Boiler top behind the Dome's location.                                                                                     

Poorly moulded "Handrails" on the Cab sides access area. It would have been easier to have simply added the Doors to the Body moulding, instead of supplying them as seperate items. 

Mentioned in the video, but I am still not convinced re the different Green colour of the Dome .

Re the buffer type.... I think that is because No.1759 is based on the new build. No.2093 is the one to get in N.E.R. period condition, with tapered buffers.

• Like 3

As @thetalkinlens has already mentioned, I presume the buffers are based on those being used on the new build since that’s what this model represents.

I did mention the join in the boiler towards the start of the close up look at the model. Generally my impression was that, like the dome, it looks a lot worse in close up on camera than in reality. Certainly during the running session in some of the wider shots I don’t think it’s easy to spot.

From my personal point of view, this is one of the best running locos I’ve experienced and I’d much rather have the die-cast section to aid that rather than a lighter loco that potentially didn’t run as well. I appreciate not everyone will agree with me on that one though.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, micklner said:

It would have been easier to have simply added the Doors to the Body moulding, instead of supplying them as seperate items. 

I completely agree, they Re gmcommendably fine etched items, but incredibly difficult to get into place. I'm glad mine is a black loco, as I wouldn't fancy trying to match the green when some glue inevitably got smeared on them!

A removable cab roof ymwould have made things easier, likewise for adding a crew, but that would have presented its own tooling challenges, and a slightly ill fitting one with the firebox glow on would be very obvious!

Still, now that mine has its doors and crew, it really is one of the best locos I own, and have seen in RTR. The sound is excellent too, and really makes it fun to play with!

Cheers

J

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 26/02/2024 at 01:21, JaymzHatstand said:

it really is one of the best locos I own, and have seen in RTR. The sound is excellent too, and really makes it fun to play with

J

Have to agree Jamie, one of the best models and the Zimo chip plays nicely on analogue.

53548198890_87f5ab484b_o_d.jpg

• Like 7

On 25/02/2024 at 20:31, That Model Railway Guy said:

From my personal point of view, this is one of the best running locos I’ve experienced and I’d much rather have the die-cast section to aid that rather than a lighter loco that potentially didn’t run as well. I appreciate not everyone will agree with me on that one though.

Oh, how much I agree, and have rambled on about this in previous posts. This model and the earlier MR 0-4-4T from Bachmann knock all previous front coupled tank engines out of the park for stable traction, thanks to the metal and plastic combination in the body construction.

Hopefully some of the other brands - especially Hornby whose work with diecast steam loco body sections is very proficient - will see the light and get busy...

• Agree 1

After not a little bit more time I have changed some more CVs and I have a better controlled sound fitted model running on analogue.  Apologies for the ex GWR influence as the engine seems to have been transported both in time and place.

Cheers Ray