TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

Yes it seems to be related to the push-pull fitted examples.

67261 Monkseaton 01 03 58 Newcastle031 Howard Forster

Connections for the bell circuits I think - see this thread on the LNER forum.  The corresponding additional connections on the coach can be seen in this post:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

These look very good. There are a couple of niggles - one potentially serious: 

The push-pull electric connections are very chunky, but they perhaps need to be in order to be robust. 

The top of the Westinghouse pump looks unfinished so there may be more work to do - in general, though, I don't think anybody has ever got this right. 

The later wooden buffer beam extending beyond the front edge of the footplate is nicely observed, but I wonder if the wooden beam itself is not quite thick enough? 

These are all minor things. For me only real issue is with the smokebox door, but it's difficult to tell from the photos, and it might be that there is in fact no issue. At the moment, though, it looks like both doors - with and without a number plate - are the earlier flatter type, and that the later LNER dished type has not been done. Perhaps TMC can confirm? 

Edited by Daddyman

• 8 months later...

Eight months - and what an eight months! - since we last heard from our friends from TMC on this .  I assume that we have heard nothing further simply because there is nothing further to report. The TMC website suggests Q3 2022 for delivery, so it looks like it's still on its way. 

I think we're entitled to assume that this is still going ahead despite the prolonged silence. Of course, I cannot be entirely sanguine. Products have been cancelled or indefinitely postponed by commissioners in the past; most recently Model Rail seemingly trying to slide out unseen from the LB&SCR E1 tank comes to mind. Such things make me a little nervous.  I'm never bothered about the 'when', it's the 'if' that worries me.  

Having had one on pre-order from the start, I might look to increase that if the pre-orders are not sold out. For me, the Class O has moved from a 'nice to have' to an 'essential for a project' purchase, and I would dearly love to see this commission realised.

Perhaps a confirmation from TMC that the project is still alive and well and living with Bachmann would not hurt?

In the meantime, something to inspire us:

post-25673-0-81095500-1532881735_thumb.jpg.761ff256882f4d3619dc7dee0a7c5d3d.jpg

20220111_131801a.jpg.0fbbb28b3a809ec4a137d3d5cf658f08.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This project has gone a lot further down the road (EP samples) than the E1 ever did (not even CAD) before it was dropped by MR. Extended production lead times seem to be the norm these days, so we just have to wait.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just put a pre-order in, but no hurry for me, still have the NER Autocars, the A5, Genesis-coaches, and a certain Coronation on my list, so, not all at once is fine by me (and my wallet!) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Eight months - and what an eight months! - since we last heard from our friends from TMC on this .  I assume that we have heard nothing further simply because there is nothing further to report. The TMC website suggests Q3 2022 for delivery, so it looks like it's still on its way. 

I think we're entitled to assume that this is still going ahead despite the prolonged silence. Of course, I cannot be entirely sanguine. Products have been cancelled or indefinitely postponed by commissioners in the past; most recently Model Rail seemingly trying to slide out unseen from the LB&SCR E1 tank comes to mind. Such things make me a little nervous.  I'm never bothered about the 'when', it's the 'if' that worries me.  

Having had one on pre-order from the start, I might look to increase that if the pre-orders are not sold out. For me, the Class O has moved from a 'nice to have' to an 'essential for a project' purchase, and I would dearly love to see this commission realised.

Perhaps a confirmation from TMC that the project is still alive and well and living with Bachmann would not hurt?

In the meantime, something to inspire us:

post-25673-0-81095500-1532881735_thumb.jpg.761ff256882f4d3619dc7dee0a7c5d3d.jpg

20220111_131801a.jpg.0fbbb28b3a809ec4a137d3d5cf658f08.jpg

Or, just to depress you if they don't turn up, here is one  somebody built a while ago.

Loco 62 NER  Class O, LNER G5 Sheffield Steamline.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

China is very busy at teh moment - Charley Petty is quoting 2 year delays in his Class 143 thread on here.. they have covid, power and more important ways of taking money from the rest of the world at the moment.

baz

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

China is very busy at teh moment - Charley Petty is quoting 2 year delays in his Class 143 thread on here.. they have covid, power and more important ways of taking money from the rest of the world at the moment.

baz

Given that the End Times are clearly upon us, I just want to get all my pre-orders out of China before the world economy and our civilisation collapses. I mean, even when mains power becomes a thing of the past, I can still enjoy looking at them (during daylight hours).  

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Given that the End Times are clearly upon us, I just want to get all my pre-orders out of China before the world economy and our civilisation collapses. I mean, even when mains power becomes a thing of the past, I can still enjoy looking at them (during daylight hours).  

I picture you on a stand mounted Raleigh bike with a dynamo, pedalling sedately to charge up a lead acid accumulator to run your models. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

50 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

With your nom-de-plume surely you would find a gaslight more conducive….

Edited by D-A-T
  • Like 1

And I am most thankful for TMC for announcing the model a few years back as it allowed me to acquire a LRM Kit at a most advantageous price off the EMGS/S4 (can’t remember which) trade stand pre-pandemic. 

• 2 months later...
On 24/04/2022 at 01:20, Steamport Southport said:

I would expect news in the next Bachmann Times and Summer announcement.

It's due in the next week or two. Beginning of May I think.

Jason

Great news! Wow!

6 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

I asked TMC and they said still looking at Q4 2022.

That seems much more likely.  I asked them about a year ago when the G5s could be expected and was told Q3 2022.  I'm pleased it has only slipped one quarter, but lets see.

Peterfgf

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2022 at 01:20, Steamport Southport said:

I would expect news in the next Bachmann Times and Summer announcement.

It's due in the next week or two. Beginning of May I think.

Jason

Does Bachmann still include updates on commissioned models in its quarterly announcements? I thought this was now left to the commissioner to announce. The Bachmann Club Magazine is a different matter; updates on all previously announced models have been included, although getting thin on the ground now that there are few such models left.

15 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Does Bachmann still include updates on commissioned models in its quarterly announcements? I thought this was now left to the commissioner to announce. The Bachmann Club Magazine is a different matter; updates on all previously announced models have been included, although getting thin on the ground now that there are few such models left.

Yes, they're included in the video.

2022-04-27.png.e88c2a360b0f0b7d4f0eb4b1176c1fe1.png

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport