TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

Can I just thank the fans of the Epping-Ongar Railway, whose tireless promotion of this prototype in threads too numerous to mention made it all poss...[bANG] :tomato:

Really ??, I know a G5 was tried out on the Thaxted branch, but I didn't know they ran to Ongar.

(From a former Ongar resident)

edit, So they did, just found this;- http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4800336

Edited by bike2steam

According to Ken Hoole's An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives (OPC, 1988), the Westinghouse pump was originally in a cupboard in the cab; the drawing for the position in front of the LH tank was prepared in 1912. The questions for TMC are: how easy will it be to remove the pump and are there any livery implications? It's not quite clear to me from the photos in Hoole's book whether the fronts of the tanks were lined prior to the pump move: there are two broadside views; then two showing the LH side with pump and no lining, and one RH view which appears to show no lining, but it's unclear where the pump is on this engine. Other tank engine classes in Wilson Worsdell green livery do have the front of the tanks lined.

Thanks, Stephen.  That confirms what I understood. 

Well, 1912 is too late for me, so I'd have to ditch the pump. 

W Worsdell's lining of the O Class is somewhat different from previous tanks, because the side tank lining does not go up round the cab side sheet, but, according to the North Eastern Record, the fronts of the tanks were lined:

The front and sides of the tanks ... had an inner black panel [i.e. line] with a fine white line on either edge ...  [emphasis added]

Thanks. I hadn't got round to checking North Eastern Record. It really is high time Bachmann et al. 'fessed up and renamed their Era 2 "Late pre-Grouping 1913-1922".

That would certainly make the inherently misleading (not to say redundant) "Era" system slightly less misleading!

Still, including the pumps will make the O fit with Bachmann's E1.  Fortunately it seems that it will be easier to back-date the O to as-built than it would be to convert the 1914 batch E1 to an original 1898-99 batch loco.

I don't see much point in going further forward than 1903 with the NE, there are enough layouts with black locos as it is!  I daresay that would suit you, because any visiting MR locos would have their lamp brackets in the right places!  

I'll just have a spare Westinghouse pump for the bits box!

Just been tempted having found that 3 G5s were allocated to Cambridge to work the Saffron Walden/Audley End, Essex branch from 1955, one was 67322. They could well have worked down the Stour Valley line from Cambridge to Sudbury as relief for J15s.

Edited by rembrow

... recently taken delivery of my Dad’s Old Nu Cast kit for the G5 and bought a chassis to build under it,....Now to build the kit, or renumber one of the TMC ones, that is the question...

Definitely build the kit. It will make you so grateful for how competently the RTR model performs.

(I am assuming here that Bachmann - with excellent performance achieved on such tricky things as 4-4-0 and 4-4-2 - will bring the same expertise to bear on 0-4-4T. They can hardly be seen to do worse than the 3 competing specimens of the breed already on sale!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Still, including the pumps will make the O fit with Bachmann's E1.  Fortunately it seems that it will be easier to back-date the O to as-built than it would be to convert the 1914 batch E1 to an original 1898-99 batch loco.

I don't see much point in going further forward than 1903 with the NE, there are enough layouts with black locos as it is!  I daresay that would suit you, because any visiting MR locos would have their lamp brackets in the right places!  

I have pre-ordered one. It gives an incentive to re-visit my partially-built D&S NER 6-wheelers from my P4 dabbling of 30 years ago... That episode was built around converting a Mainline J72 to an E, with a Perseverance chassis, inspired by an early MRJ. I should revisit that, too. I was going through a bit of a NER phase - my Midland interests were more Settle & Carlisle oriented in those days. There's another 'photo I can't find just now' of a Belpaire in original condition at Hawes Junction, with a NER train in the branch platform - either an O or an A, with 6-wheelers.

And if No. 1 son gets the grades for his Durham offer...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have pre-ordered one. It gives an incentive to re-visit my partially-built D&S NER 6-wheelers from my P4 dabbling of 30 years ago... That episode was built around converting a Mainline J72 to an E, with a Perseverance chassis, inspired by an early MRJ. I should revisit that, too. I was going through a bit of a NER phase - my Midland interests were more Settle & Carlisle oriented in those days. There's another 'photo I can't find just now' of a Belpaire in original condition at Hawes Junction, with a NER train in the branch platform - either an O or an A, with 6-wheelers.

At Model Rail Scotland yesterday I got a copy of "Cumbria's Lost Railways" (for all of £1!) from one of the society stands. Its front cover has a superb shot of G5 67314 leaving Garsdale with the 12.55 service to Northallerton on 27 March 1954, hauling Gresley non-corridor stock. So your S &C interest and the G5 - no problem!

John Storey

• Like 1

Hawes itself appeals to me - A S&C style Midland station served by the NE and visited by the Midland.

Fingers crossed on Durham, you can visit your son via West Norfolk!

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Premium

At Model Rail Scotland yesterday I got a copy of "Cumbria's Lost Railways" (for all of £1!) from one of the society stands. Its front cover has a superb shot of G5 67314 leaving Garsdale with the 12.55 service to Northallerton on 27 March 1954, hauling Gresley non-corridor stock. So your S &C interest and the G5 - no problem!

John Storey

The photo I had in mind, and my period of interest, is a good fifty years before that! But as this shows, the Class Os outlasted the Belpaires at that location, wither you think of it as Garsdale or Hawes Junction.

• RMweb Premium

Hawes itself appeals to me - A S&C style Midland station served by the NE and visited by the Midland.

Fingers crossed on Durham, you can visit your son via West Norfolk!

And the buildings now form a rather good little museum complex.

The photo I had in mind, and my period of interest, is a good fifty years before that! But as this shows, the Class Os outlasted the Belpaires at that location, wither you think of it as Garsdale or Hawes Junction.

I'd be interested to see the picture

And the buildings now form a rather good little museum complex.

Wasn't allowed inside by the Memsahib!  Must go back soon.

On a par with or even better than the Folk Museum at Dent, though the latter has a niddy-noddy.

While we are on the subject of stations with museums ...

I have not heard that Os ran on the old Newcastle & Carlisle Alston branch in pre-Grouping days, though apparently BTPs and As did, it was a NER branch, and the goods shed at Alston is a treasure trove of transport relics, and includes a fine EM layout of Alston itself. There is also a mining museum next door, but I didn't manage to see that.

With the late crest I suspect you mind find it difficult to find any others adorned differently. But no matter Bob, I bet you'll be getting one  and secretly trying it out pushing & pulling your Cemflo's.

The late emblem was taken from the BTC coat of arm registered with the College of Arms so it was wrong of British Railways to display the lion facing to the right on the late emblem. The early crest could face either way.

Taking your point though, there were only a couple of G5's with late crest so Gateshead probably made the same mistake with the few (probably only 2).

Being applied in the middle of 1957, all the G5's had gone by the end of 1958 so the late crest models may have limited appeal.

Point being (and forgetting about the College of Arms magumba) you'd be hard pushed to find a G5 with the small version of the late emblem.

Of course. 

How slow was that?

I'd be grateful if we could keep that one to ourselves.

Anyhow and slightly drifting off topic.

So, TMC/Bachmann have announced a G5. And a great choice that is. Especially with it's link to the railway very near TMC and because of the building of a full size replica.

However, I would have thought that a J27 was a much more saleable prospect.

Does this mean that someone else already has the J27 in their sights?

• Like 1