TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2019 at 14:46, nathan70000 said:

Is there any indication to which shed plates the BR locos will carry? 67250 and 67263 were both based at Botanic Gardens during their career with BR, so either could have a 53B shed plate.

Hello Nathan,

The evidence we have of 67250 show it to be a 50C [Selby] loco and the photograph we have of 67263 was taken whilst it was at 54A Durham. Although no final decisions have yet been taken I doubt we will alter these, but a shed plate will be one of the optional extras we will offer along with renumbering, weathering, sound fitting etc , so you can let us know which shed code you'd like when you place your order. 

Kind Regards,
Alex

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2019 at 10:29, tmc said:

Hello Nathan,

The evidence we have of 67250 show it to be a 50C [Selby] loco and the photograph we have of 67263 was taken whilst it was at 54A Durham. Although no final decisions have yet been taken I doubt we will alter these, but a shed plate will be one of the optional extras we will offer along with renumbering, weathering, sound fitting etc , so you can let us know which shed code you'd like when you place your order. 

Kind Regards,
Alex

Alex,

Just for clarity, Durham was 54A - a sub-shed of Sunderland. This might allow a wider sphere of operation.

Others may not be aware - I needed a second look myself.

Regards,

Roy

There are a few posts, on this thread, asking for details of those G5's working in the Hull area from 1930's onwards. One of those locos was 67340, which was unique in having its tanks extended by the LNER, in the 1930's. I believe this was done to extend the range of the G5's so that they could reach Castleford, from Hull. Only one was ever done, as larger and longer range tank locomotives became available, though this loco retained its extended tanks until withdrawal. This loco seems to have been a long term 'resident' of Hull Botanic Gardens shed, though it finished its days at one of the Blyth sheds.

The attached photo shows a 4mm model of this locomotive nearing completion. One of three 4mm G5 models, built last year.

Cheers

P1230014.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one made for somebody who didn't want to wait.

947395417_Loco62NERClassOLNERG5SheffieldSteamline.jpg.449b56f6ea900c7835f781f9595eb085.jpg

And here's another.

1560576435_Loco62NER0-4-4TJohnJames.JPG.d6f525d7b13272ba43af05b4ecfad42a.JPG

I like to remember that, if having a particular model is that important, there are other ways of getting than waiting for one of the RTR suppliers to produce it.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

Indeed, just over a year is not really a long wait in RTR gestation periods, and most people would prefer the result to be well researched and prototyped before release. If this is a must have which your layout can't possibly continue without, build or pay someone to build a kit.

There have been at least 3 4mm kits for these, Nucast & Alexander Models I don't think are currently available new, while the London Road Models one is.

The good thing about rising RTR prices, is that for those umming and ahing about whether to kit build or wait, the relative cost of a kit is coming back to a comparable level (including all the extra trimmings of wheels, motors, gearboxes etc required).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, AmpleCharms said:

Is there an arrival due date for the G5. Its been a long wait for some of us?

It's been the same length wait for all of us, unless they announced it to a select few first?! (Please note, this is very much tongue in cheek and not intended to offend!)

I imagine it'll still be a way off, I'm not sure if they're likely to show the CADs (I know Bachmann do usually, but as this is a commission, it'll be up to TMC)

Still it leaves us time to put the occasional pennies aside so that when they do arrive, at least the bank won't get cross!

I'm very much looking forward to them, I was on the verge of going down the kit route when they were announced. Those funds instead have gone to a J21, which is gradually limping toward completion!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The original estimate for time was 18 months , the same as the Caley 812. That was from Feb 2018. However it was just an estimate , athough whats the point of giving one if its not reasonable . Suspect we are a good way off that as you can track progress in the Bachmann Collectors Mag.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Oooooohhhhh YES! Nice one TMC. The perfect choice for your first commissioned locomotive. And when you say first does this mean there will be others?

An A8 perhaps...

I am sure it will be a cracker of a model - they are lovely, well proportioned locos and were the mainstay of local passenger network for such a long time. An A8 would be lovely one day too, in an ideal world of course but I cannot see it happening soon. Mind, between the two prototypes, you would sew up the market for modelling local services across the North East over a timespan of about 60 years! I suppose the best way of making this a possibility is for NER enthusiasts to fully support the project and buy as many G5s as they can afford and justify! That kind of backing might make TMC consider further commissions in the long-term, by proving ex-NER models are viable. 

• Agree 2

On 14/04/2019 at 09:40, south_tyne said:

I am sure it will be a cracker of a model - they are lovely, well proportioned locos and were the mainstay of local passenger network for such a long time. An A8 would be lovely one day too, in an ideal world of course but I cannot see it happening soon. Mind, between the two prototypes, you would sew up the market for modelling local services across the North East over a timespan of about 60 years! I suppose the best way of making this a possibility is for NER enthusiasts to fully support the project and buy as many G5s as they can afford and justify! That kind of backing might make TMC consider further commissions in the long-term, by proving ex-NER models are viable. 

As Jol remarked, above, there is always the kit build option for the G5 and, much more recently, an etched kit for the A8. Currently only for the smaller diameter boilers (63B and 63C boilers) but that covers most of the class post 1955 and some of the class from 1937 onwards.  We will see whether the larger diameter boiler version (63 and 63A boilers) materialises?

With the ever increasing price of r-t-r models, then any differential between them and an equivalent kit build is rapidly being eroded. And yes, this is three London Road Models G5 builds, done as a batch - before I added the push and pull gear - and all slightly different.

Cheers

Mike

P1260027.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mikemeg said:

As Jol remarked, above, there is always the kit build option for the G5 and, much more recently, an etched kit for the A8.

Very much so. It's horses for courses though and some do not feel confident in tackling an etched brass kit. I am one of those, which is why I will never complain about the time taken to bring a rtr product to the market, delays and general whinging. Personally, I accept my limitations and am just grateful to those manufacturers that produce wonderful models. If I wanted a loco which wasn't available rtr then I would have to build it myself or commission it, something I fully understand and accept. 

We live in very fortunate times as modellers and have never had it so easy!

• Agree 3

31 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Very much so. It's horses for courses though and some do not feel confident in tackling an etched brass kit. I am one of those, which is why I will never complain about the time taken to bring a rtr product to the market, delays and general whinging. Personally, I accept my limitations and am just grateful to those manufacturers that produce wonderful models. If I wanted a loco which wasn't available rtr then I would have to build it myself or commission it, something I fully understand and accept. 

To be entirely fair, OO modellers do have the choice between 'buy or build' and the TMC G5 will, likely, be totally irresistable. As I model in P4 my choice is more limited as there is no r-t-r available to me. So if I do buy an r-t-r model, I have to re-wheel it or, more likely, build a new chassis fot it.

There are times when I wish I could just 'open the box' and run 'em. Though those times are relatively rare.

Your last sentence, above, is universally applicable, however we choose to do it.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/04/2019 at 16:16, south_tyne said:

To be entirely fair, OO modellers do have the choice between 'buy or build' and the TMC G5 will, likely, be irresistable. As I model in P4 my choice is more limited as there is no r-t-r available to me. So if I do buy an r-t-r model, I have to re-wheel or, more likely, build a new chassis.

There are times when I wish I could just 'open the box' and run 'em. Though those times are relatively rare.

Your last sentence, above, is equally applicable however we choose to do it.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/04/2019 at 14:16, Jol Wilkinson said:

I like to remember that, if having a particular model is that important, there are other ways of getting than waiting for one of the RTR suppliers to produce it.

There are, but most modellers don't have the ability to build and finish a kit (esp. etched brass) to a standard akin to RTR, or the finances to pay someone to do so.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, DropTheTap said:

There are, but most modellers don't have the ability to build and finish a kit (esp. etched brass) to a standard akin to RTR, or the finances to pay someone to do so.

True, but skills can be taught and learned if you are sufficiently interested. 

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2019 at 09:40, south_tyne said:

Or they might commission this; the NER Class S3 / LNER & BR Class B16/1.

Cheers

Mike

P3020016.JPG

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, mikemeg said:

Or they might commission this; the NER Class S3 / LNER & BR Class B16/1.

Cheers

Mike

P3020016.JPG

Personally I would say the missing links for NER modellers in 4mm scale RTR are a J21, B16 and A8. If the G5 is well supported with good sales then you never know, it may give the manufacturers confidence to plug some of the gaps. 

PS - that B16 looks fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to mikemeg for his photos - such superb modelling!

And I agree about the J21, A8 and B16, but looking forward meantime to TMC's G5 and to Oxford Rail's J27.

John Storey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1