Bachmann Thomas Range 'Mavis' Motor Problems

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Stumped by this one!  I have for my Little Man a second hand Bachmann Thomas Range 'Mavis' the 0-6-0 quarry diesel shunter which I am struggling to get going.

On the rolling road it powers up fine, runs for about six to eight seconds then just stops for no readily apparent reason.  Give it a couple of minutes, start it up again and the same thing happens. 

Assuming Bachmann used the mechanism from one of their US HO outline models in this, does anyone have any ideas what is going on here?  I managed to get the keeper plate off and look at the wheelsets and pickups and can confirm they are free of dirt and solidified gunk that often can be found there.

I have been fiddling with model railway stuff for the thick end of thirty years and I am stumped....

Never had a look inside this one, but the few I have seen the mechanisms are all made for TTTE alone rather than derived from some other item. There's a mix of motors, some the regular small cans seen in Bach's OO steam, some exceedingly small; and these latter will overheat and slow practically to rest if given the beans. Motor substitution is difficult if the moving eyes feature is to be retained, as this is all integrated into the motor mount. Bach USA's site is useful for spares, they do appear to carry the stock to support TTTE, although it was a lengthy wade through the list to find the replacement motor and gearbox/eye wobble mechanism assembly required to make Percy perky once more...

• RMweb Premium

My findings so far.  Underneath Mavis' bonnet is a enclosed motor chassis with a can motor in the centre.  Pick ups are from the outer axles.

post-6910-0-81092100-1519240817_thumb.jpg

One screw holds the motor unit to the chassis, located at one end, the other end clips in and releases once the screw is out revealing the rolling chassis and the motor unit to be two separate parts.

post-6910-0-82929600-1519240855_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-81627000-1519240930_thumb.jpg

The motor section is in two halves, held together with three tiny cross head screws, so tiny I had to dig out my spectacle repair kit to undo them!

That is as far as I have got so far, more to come.

Remember however, always have something handy to put the parts removed in for safekeeping!!

post-6910-0-25228900-1519241031_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I'd have thought that "Mavis" would have the same mechanism as the OO class 04.

The 04 doesn't have moving eyes.

Please remember that unlike the Hornby range, the Bachmann TTE line has not been 'bodged' out of existing tooling and is thus far more accurate to the TV series - with 'moving eyes' being a distinctive feature.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, the Bachmann TTTE range in HO is supposed to be only available outside the UK as here it is Hornby who holds the licence.  All fine except certain characters, Mavis included are only available in the Bachmann range, others being Donald/Douglas, Henrietta and a few others.

I was reading earlier that many prefer the Bachmann Henry as he is more akin to his appearance in the TV Series (post his rebuild) whereas the Hornby version I have is based on the books appearance post rebuild as a derivitive of a Black 5, this despite that pre rebuild he was a sort of NER A1 hybrid.

Okay...  Under test, the motor just started emitting smoke...

Got to suspect that lubricant has leaked in at the brush end of the motor, due close proximity of the gear train.

It looks to be of standard Bachmann can motor construction used in their steam models, but it's going to be double shafted which means no substitute is available from a Bachmann Branchline product, as the only double shafted motor in a steam model is that in the 9F which will be significantly larger. (Unless someone knows different, I haven't sampled the full range!) Outside chance, motors in their Lilliput product?

Next alternative is probably a  Mashima.

(I am grateful for this thread, as among family and friends the toy train that isn't working is brought to me with a request on the lines of 'Teddy will be so happy when you make this work again' and you never know one like this may yet turn up!)

...I was reading earlier that many prefer the Bachmann Henry as he is more akin to his appearance in the TV Series (post his rebuild) whereas the Hornby version I have is based on the books appearance post rebuild as a derivitive of a Black 5, this despite that pre rebuild he was a sort of NER A1 hybrid.

That brings it back, the hours spent as a small boy with the Awdry books, the Ladybird locomotives, and other illustrations including many packs of cigarette cards, trying to work out what the Henry story was supposed to represent. Of course it is a parable, what with Awdry being a clergyman. Clearly the successful path to a big engine is a pacific, it may have some troubles but once ironed out, it's the easy winner. But what now to do with the various ill conceived designs that don't work nearly as well? Send them to Works (Crewe) to be fitted with a better boiler (2A) to produce a competent 4-6-0; which fits the Bear to Castle, Royal Scot to 7P events, and brushes over the NER pacifics getting chopped.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Just picking up the point of Hornby vs Bachmann:

Hornby Edward:

r9289.jpg

Actual Edward:

Edward.png

Or click here for better picture

Bachmann Edward:

58746.gif

Yes, Bachmann have a bit more of a gloss toy-like finish, but I'd never choose Hornby over Bachmann. Hornby simply repainted existing tooling of the closest engine they had in the tool room.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Premium

Indeed the most recent TTTE releases from Hornby inexplicably use a lighter shade of blue which just looks wrong. In building up my Little Man's collection I deliberately sought out earlier releases of James and Gordon, encountering the good old Ringfield motor which as it turns out, is still pretty much bombproof...

Just picking up the point of Hornby vs Bachmann:

Hornby Edward:

r9289.jpg

Actual Edward:

edward.gif

Bachmann Edward:

58746.gif

Yes, Bachmann have a bit more of a gloss toy-like finish, but I'd never choose Hornby over Bachmann. Hornby simply repainted existing tooling of the closest engine they had in the tool room.

Yes but a can of Poundland Satin Black,a new smokebox door etc  a couple of transfers and Hornby Thomas becomes an E2, Edward  "The Morpeth" and Henry a black 5.

Moving eye feature is good. Maybe use the chassis for something else and have the Fireman move instead of the eyes?

Spare parts for Bachmann USA models including Mavis are readily available on-line direct from Bachmann USA.

They will also do the repair if you mail it in - the details are on their website.

I have used this service several times and they are quick and reasonably priced although I do not know what the shipping cost to the UK would be as I am in Canada.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=mavis

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

• 1 year later...
On 23/02/2018 at 12:28, DavidCBroad said:

Yes but a can of Poundland Satin Black,a new smokebox door etc  a couple of transfers and Hornby Thomas becomes an E2, Edward  "The Morpeth" and Henry a black 5.

Moving eye feature is good. Maybe use the chassis for something else and have the Fireman move instead of the eyes?

I modified a Hornby T9 into Edward once and that's a better model basis.