Blender modelling from 2D image?

• RMweb Gold

Hello my 3D inclined friends, 

I would like to pick up an old project of mine of doing some industrial locos for 3D printing. Trying to get the hang of Blender once more (I learned to use Maya a long time ago) and previously I've created objects from referencing a separate image.

What I want to do is add diagrams/GA drawings in to blender in 3D form so I can model on top of the diagram. At the moment I've managed to add it as a background image but that's not what I really want.

I hope this makes sense and it's possible!

Very appreciative for any help on this

Thanks

There is a 2016 Turbocad PRO for sale on eBay in the UK for 80 quid. That's a great deal.

Pro uses solid modeling rather than surface modeling. I have both versions but I prefer Pro.

TurboCAD is the worst 3D program out there! You'd either need to be a complete Sadist or a member of Mensa to use it for 3D. Fusion360 is the logical way to go for solid modelling for non corporate folks. Solid modelling is not needed for 3D printing, Sketchup is the easiest to get on with but not ideally suited to complex curved geometry which can cause big headaches. 

TurboCAD is the worst 3D program out there! You'd either need to be a complete Sadist or a member of Mensa to use it for 3D. Fusion360 is the logical way to go for solid modelling for non corporate folks. Solid modelling is not needed for 3D printing, Sketchup is the easiest to get on with but not ideally suited to complex curved geometry which can cause big headaches. 

But tell us how you really feel about it. Don't hold back now :)

It depends a lot on what you are trying to do. TurboCAD works very well for me, but maybe that's just because of my exceptionally high IQ. I've looked at all the free programs and they are all a load of c**p, IMHO of course :)

• RMweb Gold

To explain in another way, this is what I want to be able to do, but in Blender

post-33498-0-73389300-1515718210_thumb.p

Hi Corbs

It took me a minute to work out what I think you're after. You can model on top of the plans, but only on X, Y and Z planes. The problem with this is that the last time I used Blender the photos were only visible on the X, Y and Z planes, and disappear as soon as you rotate the model. It's unfortunate as I can see this being very useful.

Edited by JCL

If I've got your request right this is the kind of thing that ship modellers are always asking how to do - import plans (profile, top and ends) into a package and use it to extrude a 3D hull shape.

It might be worth checking out some model ship forums - here for example is a thread that uses sketchup rather than blender but I assume its kind of what you are after?

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/12436-going-from-a-2d-drawing-to-a-3d-printed-part-tutorial-using-sketchup/

Apologies if I've mis-understood your request.

I have received a note from a Blender user as follows:

"I think I have the solution you need: create rectangular mesh then apply UV texture to it. Or in new versions, it's even simpler, just use a special object (I just learned that today while trying to find a ready made tutorial for UV mapping... it seems "empties" have become more useful in recent years). The UV way lets you select at will any zone from the images, including rotation, meaning a trade off between control and setup speed. Half way, there seems to be an extension for the common case (import images as three planes).

Empty (that's a kind of Blender object) based method youtube
Extension (step d) images as planes

Oops, forgot UV method with rotation demo (ignore the render part at end) youtube
Probably there are text and pictures tutorials too... or there were years ago."

I need to have time to look into these but they look interesting.

Edited by MikeTrice