BR bridge clearance

A reason why many old bridges has a pipe bridge built adjacent in later times. There wasn't enough depth to get a 12" or larger water main or big sewer pipe in the road surface.

That is an excellent idea for added realism next to a bridge. Thanks. 

• RMweb Gold

To show the size of some girders, this is the bridge carrying the Glossop to Marple road over the eastern end of the former Mottram Yard. The brick bridge to the right is the original one over the Hadfield line, note the added steeple coping to comply with the requirements for an electrified line.

The girder bridge span is about 80 feet with the actual girders about 90 feet long. It can be seen from the height visible of the panels outside and inside how far above the bottom the road surface is.

post-9767-0-93431400-1519595158_thumb.jpg

Picture from Google Street View.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wolverton station building was, until the early 1990's a wooden affair mounted on girders, fixed to Stratford Rd bridge. It was largely out of use when I passed through it every day on my way to College. It was demolished in about 1991-2, and the entrance is now on the Up side of the station.

Wolverton station building was, until the early 1990's a wooden affair mounted on girders, fixed to Stratford Rd bridge. It was largely out of use when I passed through it every day on my way to College. It was demolished in about 1991-2, and the entrance is now on the Up side of the station.

Railway rumor at the time was that BR had got wind of an intention to list the building, so down it came double quick.

• RMweb Gold

Railway rumor at the time was that BR had got wind of an intention to list the building, so down it came double quick.

It wasn't exactly in the best of nick, nor was it a priceless relic. It only dated from around the turn of the century, not from the building of the railway, and it's not like there are no other similar wooden station buildings surviving although admittedly I can't think of any bolted on to a bridge!

I did always wonder whether the floor was going to give way beneath me when I walked across it! The footbridge did provide a bit of much needed shelter at 7.45pm on a frosty Tuesday evening, returning home from an evening class. Gone, happy memories, but I can't say I miss it.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

It was taken down because it was in poor condition - when you can put a screwdriver straight through the structural timbers then it's generally not considered a good thing.... 

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

It was the subject of a very protracted wrangle between the local council and BR, possibly spanning into NR times, with the council wanting a new station befitting the 'regeneration' going on in the area, and BR wanting to spend as little as possible, which I think was why it was allowed to fall into decay, even before someone set fire to it, and why it took absolutely years for all concerned to agree what they replacement should consist of.

Before it fell/burnt down, it had become an unutterable tip, but I guess the LNWR, LMS, and British Railways got good value out of what was really a fancy prefabricated wooden shed, stood on a few columns and girders.