Kemilway LNER etched coach kits

Blue Max

Kemilway have loaded up 14 new LNER etched brass coach kits to their web site in the last day or so. There are 52” and 61”6” types in both 4mm and 7mm scale The list contains some very interesting diagram numbers.

No connection other than a satisfied customer of high quality very well designed coach etches.

SteveT

Do please beware before ordering (and paying). I have an outstanding order for a GER Little Sharpie  and some GER wagons that have been on order and paid for since 2012. I was told there might be a slight delay( a couple of months) after I'd already  waited six months and contacted Pete, but despite repeatedly emailing and calling, I have never had a refund. I do, almost as an anniversary thing, send an email, yearly now, just to enquire as to it's whereabouts, but never get a response. 

• RMweb Premium

Do please beware before ordering (and paying). I have an outstanding order for a GER Little Sharpie  and some GER wagons that have been on order and paid for since 2012. I was told there might be a slight delay( a couple of months) after I'd already  waited six months and contacted Pete, but despite repeatedly emailing and calling, I have never had a refund. I do, almost as an anniversary thing, send an email, yearly now, just to enquire as to it's whereabouts, but never get a response. 

Small Claims court should focus his attention.......

Not surprised to read this , I bought his TPO kit . Two year later it turned up , it was a very poor etching and was e bayed at once and a 247 version bought much better quality .

Personally once was enough for me.

• Like 1

Kemilway used to be John Senior and Tony Dyer many years ago, both sadly no longer with us. I still have a half-made Airfix mogul motorising kit that is missing some parts! Who owns it these days?

Kemilway used to be John Senior and Tony Dyer many years ago, both sadly no longer with us. I still have a half-made Airfix mogul motorising kit that is missing some parts! Who owns it these days?

John Senior, founder of mopok, is still very much with us.  He had his 80th birthday last year.  Counting out packets of a dozen 12BA bolts and nuts, with two dozen washers, has done him no harm at all!

Frank

• Like 3

I was very surprised today to receive a response from Peter. Hopefully I may get a resolution. I am a little worried as he said he sent the goods to me early  in 2013, yet I have an email from him,10th Dec 2013 which states " I have not been able to complete your order as the etchers seem to have lost the tooling for the GER Sharpie, they now say they have found them and they will arrive, this was important as I have

Orders from other customers." Perhaps he was getting me confused with another customer. (Here's hoping). I just want something for my £122 outlay, either goods or a refund. Fingers crossed.

• 8 months later...

For those of you still following this thread be aware that the "new" models posted on the Kemilway website are not going to be made available via Peter now - last week he declined to pay for the production tooling for the first batch despite having taken money from several customers.

I also know that at time of writing he owes money for development work on the 7mm GN/LBSC Atlantic project.

For those of you interested in seeing some of the models and hearing about future development and sales plans I can be found on stand A50 in the demo area at Warley/NEC in a couple of weeks

-R

For those of you still following this thread be aware that the "new" models posted on the Kemilway website are not going to be made available via Peter now - last week he declined to pay for the production tooling for the first batch despite having taken money from several customers.

I also know that at time of writing he owes money for development work on the 7mm GN/LBSC Atlantic project.

For those of you interested in seeing some of the models and hearing about future development and sales plans I can be found on stand A50 in the demo area at Warley/NEC in a couple of weeks

-R

Hi Rupert,

Can I ask what other kits I need to complete a 1938 Flying Scotsman?

I can order your triplet, the buffet, and probably the full brake. If Kemilway were reliable, they'd do the third, first, composite and brake third. Did anyone ever do the 65'6" luggage composite?

Edited by davelester

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm after an NER full brake in 4mm scale. But from the general drift of this thread it seems it's better not to throw money Kemilway's way as (1) the etches are poor, (2) he's likely to keep the money without supplying anything, and (3) he might not be trading anymore anyway (post#14 above). 

Or have I misunderstood?

Edited by Daddyman

I'm after an NER full brake in 4mm scale. But from the general drift of this thread it seems it's better not to throw money Kemilway's way as (1) the etches are poor, (2) he's likely to keep the money without supplying anything, and (3) he might not be trading anymore anyway (post#14 above). 

Or have I misunderstood?

I think the "poor etch" referred to above may be a Peter K production rather than a Kemilway one.  All the Kemilway etches I've seen are very good, and it's a shame if the kits are not going to be available.  From memory I think D&S may do an NER full brake (depending on which one you're after) - Danny Pinnock is allegedly going to re-run some of his 4mm NER kits "sometime" (a list was expected last year but hasn't emerged as yet).  You could always phone him - he's always very helpful.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Tim - very useful to know. 

Danny at D&S is indeed planning to do some NER elliptical-roofed stock as his next mini-release. However, there's an illness in the family and the person who packs his kits for him is acting as full-time carer, so when I last spoke to him in November-ish, he didn't know when they'd be out. 

Thanks for that David, I wasn't aware of that.

WRT Kemilway, I ordered some etches last year, about February IIRC and just as I was contemplating recalling my paypal payment in mid-June, the bundle dropped through the front door. Up to you whether you take a punt, but let me know if you do as I fancy that NER brake as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that David, I wasn't aware of that.

WRT Kemilway, I ordered some etches last year, about February IIRC and just as I was contemplating recalling my paypal payment in mid-June, the bundle dropped through the front door. Up to you whether you take a punt, but let me know if you do as I fancy that NER brake as well.

Thanks Jonathan. I was debating with myself whether to make the Danny situation public, but decided to do so as I thought it might calm the slight frustration that might be being felt at the non-appearance of products that were expected in summer. 

I might drop Kemilway a line and see if they can supply and how soon. I'll let you know. 

I think the "poor etch" referred to above may be a Peter K production rather than a Kemilway one.  All the Kemilway etches I've seen are very good, and it's a shame if the kits are not going to be available.  From memory I think D&S may do an NER full brake (depending on which one you're after) - Danny Pinnock is allegedly going to re-run some of his 4mm NER kits "sometime" (a list was expected last year but hasn't emerged as yet).  You could always phone him - he's always very helpful.[/quote

Danny at D&S does not do the NER bogie full brake that is in the Kemilway range. I got one of these from Kemilway a couple of years back, although it did take about 18 months from the point I ordered and paid for the kit before it arrived.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. I've emailed him about the full brake. If/When I hear from him, and depending on his answer, I'll raise the concerns mentioned on here, and see if he can guarantee no excessive delays and no theft of my money. Will post here if/when I hear. 

• Like 2

Or have I misunderstood?

The kit that Kemilway list as a 52’ NER Full Brake is a 51’ LNER design, built from 1928. There is a drawing on page 79 of “Historic Carriage Drawings in 4mm Scale” ( the original book by Jenkinson & Campling). More details, and a photo, are in “Gresley’s Coaches” by M Harris.

The NER was not keen on bogie full brakes, but built lots of 6 wheelers.

If an early LNER bogie full brake is what you want then Comet do a Diagram 67.

Edited by Rambler

The kit that Kemilway list as a 52’ NER Full Brake is a 51’ LNER design, built from 1928.

If an early LNER bogie full brake is what you want then Comet do a Diagram 67.

You have beaten me to it with your reply.

The Kemilway kit is indeed an LNER design, Dia 67 (turnbuckle u/f, Fox bogies, no ducket), Dia 129 (early - turnbuckle u/f, Fox bogies, ducket; late - truss u/f, Gresley bogies, ducket), Dia 284 (as late Dia 129). Alternative kits or sides available from Comet, Bill Bedford, Kirk.

Regarding ex-NER NPCCS, Dan Pinnock had a few listed previously mostly the six wheelers NE171 (DS174), NE185 (DS185), NE215 (DS180), but also "listed" were  bogie NE159 (DS241) which was a BG with bow ends and domed roof ends, and NE169 (DS199) Newspaper Van (elliptical roof).

If you are after some NPCCS oddities for the late LNER / early BR period then Diagram NE261 to NE267 might be a good challenge. All started their lives as Brake Composites (some with lavatories) and were converted to Ambulance coaches, then to non-gangwayed Brake Vans around 1944. All had clerestory roofs apart from NE266 (arc roof), and most were 52'0" over headstocks except NE263 (45'0") and NE266 (49'0"). As usual with this type of conversion, two extra sets of double doors were inserted into the sides and any remaining single doors sealed shut. Having said that, sourcing a suitable donor vehicle might be a bit of a problem! 

• 2 weeks later...