RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Might be a naive question, but what are the differences?

As built : Ramsbottom Safety Valves. No vacuum brake equipment/pipes. No lamp irons on running board above bufferbeam, single lamp iron on smokebox top which is rotated 90 degrees to the norm (similar to GWR practice).

Preserved: Ross Pop Safety Valves. Vacuum brake equipment and piping. LMS style lamp irons on running board above bufferbeam and LMS style smokebox iron. Overhaul plate on splasher.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news from Rails. A great choice of a much requested prototype.

Now for a Caley 0-4-4 tank to be announced!

Edited by 46444

Any estimates on pricing? Or release?

My wallet is crying....

A brilliant announcement, although I'm not committing the pre-order value until we have an estimated RRP

Cheers,

Hi

We estimate the price to be £150.00 to £160.00. The price will be confirmed as soon as possible.

If pre-ordered with a deposit and the model does come in higher than £160, you will have the option to cancel and get a refund on your deposit.

There's the potential for Bachmann to be very clever here as if they keep the mechanism low enough they could double the range and appeal by using the mechanics chassis running plate and for the later LMS/BR version at least the same tender and by adding the smaller boiler and slightly lower cab could offer it as the earlier Drummond Jumbo as well.

Surly with most of the design work done it would be easy to offer this option especally if done at an early stage like now rather like whats been done with that industrial jobbie which I've forgotten the name (they say the mind goes first)

Brilliant news though and if the early livery is the dark blue I shall be interested.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I only recently bought a copy of "Railways in Retrospect No 5 Caledonian in LMS Days":

http://www.booklaw.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=3044&controller=product

Very nice book--interesting as it shows CR-liveried locos operating well into the LMS era, eg. one picture (page 49) is of a CR-liveried 4-4-0 at Forfar in 1930, and another (page 70) has a CR 0-6-0 at Annan on a freight hauling stock with LMS lettering--so a bit of a quandary, do I go for the LMS black version or the (prettier) CR blue one...?! With this photographic evidence to hand, probably the latter!

Excellent to see this release, well done to Rails and Bachmann.

cheers,

Keith

Hi

We estimate the price to be £150.00 to £160.00. The price will be confirmed as soon as possible.

If pre-ordered with a deposit and the model does come in higher than £160, you will have the option to cancel and get a refund on your deposit.

Thanks for the reply - hopefully there'll be an order flying your way early next week

EDIT: Now on the order list for 828 as preserved

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

Unalloyed good news.

'As-built' versions of pre-Groupers are much rarer in RTR than 'as preserved' and late service condition, so I think Rails is to be especially commended for this.

I shall have to succumb.

Not to mention the Sudrian Twins.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Excellent announcement, very excited by this.

My question is that which someone else asked i think, any thoughts on timing? I know how much everything can slip, but is there an initial target date, or an earliest expected date to allow customers to budget for pre-orders to know when to have money available. This is always my biggest problem with the way things have evolved to pre-order. Trying to forecast when you need to have money available, not that it winds up mattering as everything always seems to arrive at once anyways.

Cheers

Stephen

I wonder if Rails could also clarify the following :

There were a lot of variable differences both among the class, but also the same engine as well after each overhaul. Might we see the dogclip style fastening for the BR version on No. 57566, with LMS snaphead rivets on the wings and smokebox wrapper? This along with certain members of the class seeing stovepipe style chimneys fitted, and I believe the whole class had the Westinghouse Air Brake equipment removed by BR days?

• RMweb Premium

Excellent announcement, very excited by this.

My question is that which someone else asked i think, any thoughts on timing? I know how much everything can slip, but is there an initial target date, or an earliest expected date to allow customers to budget for pre-orders to know when to have money available. This is always my biggest problem with the way things have evolved to pre-order. Trying to forecast when you need to have money available, not that it winds up mattering as everything always seems to arrive at once anyways.

Cheers

Stephen

The nice lady on the Rails stand said 18 months .

Edited by Legend