RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Having dealt with Rails before, and therefore, having an account I decided to pre-order an 812 on line but the website doesn't seem to be working - it does not seek the £30 deposit (although it mentions it) and when you go to the checkout it only asks for £4 for the postage! I did not progress this as I would not be sure my pre-order would be accepted. Anyone had the same or found a way to do this online?

Having dealt with Rails before, and therefore, having an account I decided to pre-order an 812 on line but the website doesn't seem to be working - it does not seek the £30 deposit (although it mentions it) and when you go to the checkout it only asks for £4 for the postage! I did not progress this as I would not be sure my pre-order would be accepted. Anyone had the same or found a way to do this online?

I have to admit, I had some difficulty too. It appears that I didn't complete the order process. My pre-order didn't show up in My Orders, and I did not receive a payment confirmation from PayPal.

It's only when I followed up with Rails that Simon was able to help me diagnose the problem and solution. Now the order shows up, and I have a receipt for GBP30 from PayPal.

So it does work...kinda. Good luck!

....and then one photograph comes up that seriously dented my resolve

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/61/972/

There is (IMO) an even better picture than that. It's of 57566 itself at Upper Port Glasgow on a 5-carriage St Enoch's to Princes Pier in 1954. The picture is in WAC Smith's "Renfrewshire's Last Days of Steam".

• Like 1

Lovely loco, very tempting..... but I actually want a Caley "Standard Goods" 294 class for my Killin-inspired layout. I have piccies of 57246 and 57324 working the branch in the late 1950s. How much of a compromise  is a BR-era renumbered version of this "Rails"/Bachmann 812 going to be then, folks? Essential

(= obvious) differences? Apologies for my ignorance - no offence intended to any rivett-counters reading this. And yes, I know I could probably justify one under Rule 1! Thanks muchly.

Hi, Thank you for wanting to preorder one of the 812 locomotives. I can confirm that it will take you deposit and put your order on the system. As there is currently no price set for the locomotives it’s just confusing the system a little and showing the wrong figures. This glitch is currently been looked into and should be resolved shortly.

Thanks

Oliver @ Rails

First off, I’ll say that this looks like a beautiful model. If I was still into UK modelling, I would be buying one, if not several.

But, to address the questions being raised about why an 812 and not a Jumbo, I think Legend has got it right: 

I'm sure the reason for an 812 is there is one in preservation …

On every other count, I think a Jumbo would have made at least as much sense.

- As Legend says, there were more Jumbos than 812s, or even 812s plus 652s.

- They lasted as long as the 812s - the last examples of both types appear to have been withdrawn in November 1963.

- There were blue Jumbos. The whole ‘711’ class were put into service in blue, and there may have been earlier blue examples. So the option of Caledonian blue versions would still have been there.

- There were Jumbos with tender cabs, so giving another possible version. (There may have been 812s with tender cabs, though I’ve never seen pictures.)

- There were 25 Jumbos used by the ROD in France during WW1 – another possible version?

- Some were loaned to the Highland during WW1, and did not all return till a couple of years after it ended, so wider use before LMS days.

- Some were tried in the Leeds area by the LMS in the 1930s (they didn’t stay long). So:

I'll be having a LMS one 'cos under rule 1 if it says LMS on it then it got sent all the way down to my somewhere Derby-ish shed for repairs and running in.

Yes, the LMS black one is right on the money for me period-wise, but a bit less so geographically, so looks like I'll be doing some serious application of Rule 1 to justify one on the NW Leicestershire-based layout I'm planning. 

Wouldn’t be so much of a stretch.

- And there were even a few condensing examples for use on the Glasgow underground lines through Central - a possibility for a really unusual model.

Edited by pH

First off, I’ll say that this looks like a beautiful model. If I was still into UK modelling, I would be buying one, if not several.

But, to address the questions being raised about why an 812 and not a Jumbo, I think Legend has got it right: 

- They lasted as long as the 812s - the last examples of both types appear to have been withdrawn in November 1963.

- There were blue Jumbos. The whole ‘711’ class were put into service in blue, and there may have been earlier blue examples. So the option of Caledonian blue versions would still have been there.

- There were Jumbos with tender cabs, so giving another possible version. (There may have been 812s with tender cabs, though I’ve never seen pictures.)

- There were 25 Jumbos used by the ROD in France during WW1 – another possible version?

- Some were loaned to the Highland during WW1, and did not all return till a couple of years after it ended, so wider use before LMS days.

- Some were tried in the Leeds area by the LMS in the 1930s (they didn’t stay long). So:

- And there were even a few condensing examples for use on the Glasgow underground lines through Central - a possibility for a really unusual model.

I'm sure you (and others) have given Rails or Bachmann plenty of good reasons for a follow on to the 812. Trust me having lived through (and still living through) a glut of southern models all of a sudden, it is pretty hard to finance the lot  - my thoughts are that it is brilliant some true Scottish pre-grouping prototypes are appearing, but equally I'm sure it would be better for people's pockets and even sustainability of the market, to have a couple of classes per year, rather than several classes appearing at once. Likewise, what about some true Scottish pre-grouping coaches to go behind them?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised that there were blue jumbos . Are there common parts to an 812 in that a follow on jumbo would be economic? I think that having done the 812 the likelihood of a jumbo appearing , which to the untrained eye , is essentially a similar 0-6-0, is unlikely , unless by another manufacturer. To be honest if this stimulates people to build Scottish layouts, which I think it will, my next target would be a 4-4-0, although the issue here is no preserved prototype, of a Caley one, at least . Now an NBR Glen..........

• RMweb Gold

I still think the 812 has the edge.

-pretty version

-workaday version

-has a preserved prototype

-nostalgic for all those railway series fans 

-finally a CR prototype

-distinctive from the more generic 0-6-0 (e.g. high pitched boiler)

-has been on wishlists as far back as I can remember

A jumbo, for me, would not have the same appeal as it only ticks some of the boxes. Then again, I may be in the minority as I only want an 812, I don't want any Scottish 0-6-0.

• Like 2

Crop of a photo from my workbench of my recent conversion of a 700 to a 812. The prints in the background show 57585 on passenger duties at Wick and Georgemas and are interesting as it shows the cab roof extension that this engine carried till withdrawal - presumably a hang over from their original duties as snowplough engines - plus the Wick shot with a tender lettered "British Railways". Modelling potential there?......

post-2642-0-72125300-1519866870.jpg

Edit - plus some at Thurso, where it seemed to spend most of its time.

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 1

I still think the 812 has the edge.

-pretty version

-workaday version

-has a preserved prototype

-nostalgic for all those railway series fans 

-finally a CR prototype

-distinctive from the more generic 0-6-0 (e.g. high pitched boiler)

-has been on wishlists as far back as I can remember

A jumbo, for me, would not have the same appeal as it only ticks some of the boxes. Then again, I may be in the minority as I only want an 812, I don't want any Scottish 0-6-0.

For me, personally, I'd prefer a Jumbo but, objectively an 812 has the edge because one survives.  But I would happily have a Jumbo, an 812 and a Pickersgill 3F!

Chris KT

• Like 2

The thing about the Jumbos is that they weren't a standard class, there were differences between batches and rebuilds so which one does one do and it would never suit everyone.

I was part of a group looking a having a decent etched kit done and this is what I was told.    Me? I was just looking at the model chassis and mechanism.

The 812s on the other hand are a much better bet to get right, only noticeable differences were the tenders in later years and with a bit of work one can make the later 652 class with the different cab sheets.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Crop of a photo from my workbench of my recent conversion of a 700 to a 812. The prints in the background show 57585 on passenger duties at Wick and Georgemas and are interesting as it shows the cab roof extension that this engine carried till withdrawal - presumably a hang over from their original duties as snowplough engines - plus the Wick shot with a tender lettered "British Railways". Modelling potential there?......

attachicon.gifIMG_1270.JPG

Edit - plus some at Thurso, where it seemed to spend most of its time.

Interesting. I don't know how the dimensions stack up, but might the reverse be practicable, converting an original, saturated LSWR 700 out of the 812 model?

John

The thing about the Jumbos is that they weren't a standard class, there were differences between batches and rebuilds

The 812s on the other hand are a much better bet to get right

The corollary to that is that it would be harder to get the Jumbo wrong, surely?

• Like 1

Having seen previously in this thread that someone paid their deposit by Paypal, and having a few pennies in my account doing nothing, I thought I'd have a go at ordering one if I could get the postage dropped from the order as I will collect mine when ready. I've managed to sign up, found the collect it option, but when trying to pay with Paypal it only seems to give me the option of paying it by a card through Paypal, which I presume will come straight out of my bank account rather than the Paypal balance. Is this correct, as I can't seem to find an option of using my Paypal balance?

... make a face and stick it on the smokebox door...

That's the impossibly difficult bit. I let the children for whom my TTTE is provided as entertainment make a face to stick on the front from modelling clay. They typically spend more time making the face than driving Thomas around after he has been given their handmade phiz.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having seen previously in this thread that someone paid their deposit by Paypal, and having a few pennies in my account doing nothing, I thought I'd have a go at ordering one if I could get the postage dropped from the order as I will collect mine when ready. I've managed to sign up, found the collect it option, but when trying to pay with Paypal it only seems to give me the option of paying it by a card through Paypal, which I presume will come straight out of my bank account rather than the Paypal balance. Is this correct, as I can't seem to find an option of using my Paypal balance?

If you're worried about it you could withdraw your paypal money to the bank account, then wait for it to appear, then pay via paypal and it'll come back out again?

Well "Rails of Sheffield", are doing lots of nice models at very nice prices, and quite a few have been speeding their way to deepest darkest Southern Catalonia (Spain). Here's one I have been modifiying.....

Above: Recently arrived is another Hornby "Black 5" for my "Inter-regional" fleet. This one came in LMS livery at a very nice price. So I have already re-sprayed, re-lined, reduced the loco to tender coupling length and internally increased its weight. And its now just waiting for "decal fix" and a little weathering. This model and many others from "Rails" can be seen on my exhibition layout "Basingstoke 1958-67"(87ft x 24ft). Layout and stock seen here on RMweb in the gategory "Modelling real locations"  

Thanks to the prompt staff at Rails.

Edited by 71000
  • Like 6

I know it's far more prototypical for an early crest BR black freight engine to be weathered...but I must say I have an inherent bias for unweathered engines...I just love the uber-clean appearance for some reason (plus RTR weathering can be really hit or miss at best). I'd love to get an early BR variant...but for that reason I may hold off. However I do really love that Caledonian Railway Blue livery...so I may have to invoke Rule #1 for the preserved version. However, if the early BR version has nicely applied weathering...I may end up with a BR black variant, and a preserved variant. I think I can hear my wallet off in the distance somewhere screaming at me...either that or the minister for finances...

On a slightly more serious note, I do like the 812 class a lot...and of course the tie to the Thomas and Friends brand definitely helps. I sincerely hope we do see more pre-grouping engines in future. I really do like these unique liveries, and the engine designs definitely have their own unique charm that just doesn't seem as well captured by grouping or nationalisation locos. Bit of a shame really that this market is only now just becoming slightly less of a niche market. So let's hope it becomes more mainstream as we push on :) and I must admit...I've voted for this particular engine in polls for the last 2-3 years (when I've become more interested in model railways) so I'm quite happy to see this loco grace the RTR OO gauge market.

~Alex

Edited by AJW98Productions