RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I still can’t cancel mine, getting the 500 error I have emailed Rails to say this and my intended outcome

Btw only cancelling it because at the price for the Blue one I cannot justify the cost against a loco that would become LMS on an LNER layout as for that autocar though.... we shall see

I've emailed them re the error. Cancelling my blue one due to cost. Not interested in a black one at that price either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was expecting it to be higher at 2020 prices and the intricate blue livery!

Rails have indicated that they will honour this price for pre-orders but that off-the-shelf purchase price will likely be higher, so if you change your mind you may well end up paying more.

To everyone who is taken aback by the price from someone who is also taken aback by the price.

Note that when Bachmann produces a commission such as this, a main range version often appears in the future at a price lower than commission price. It will also be discounted by retailers and, if it doesn’t sell well or is overproduced, there may be a sale even farther in the future.

Of course, some of us may not last as long as that. Bachmann may not produce a main range version and, even if it does, prices may have risen so much by then that there is no saving to be had.

Me? I’m still on the fence. I’d like at least to see it before I buy but then I’d face a higher price. I wish the fence were less sharp.  :O

To everyone who is taken aback by the price from someone who is also taken aback by the price.

Note that when Bachmann produces a commission such as this, a main range version often appears in the future at a price lower than commission price.

There is a good couple of years or so before a such a model becomes part of Bachmanns main range so there is no guarantee the price of the model as listed by Bachmann when it becomes so available will be cheaper - how much it get discounted by could make it cheaper but Bachmann will not re-run the exact models Rails have commissioned, witness the Director whereby only the NRM version has been of GCR 506.

Wow! Are people really complaining about prices of a limited edition?

Okay. Build or get someone to build the only kit available to modern standards, paint it, line it, apply transfers and see how much it costs.....

BTW it's £140 for the basic kit with no wheels, motor, etc. Add at least another £80 on that price for the rest.

http://www.caleycoaches.co.uk/class812.php

£180 - £200 is a bargain IMO. Seems you don't really want a CR 812 just anything that's available. But only if it's at Hornby Railroad prices.

Jason

• Like 3

Myself no I am not complaining about the price just:

A - I can't justify a locomotive that would become part of the LMS for that price on my LNER based layout

B - the link to cancel is broken and as yet I still have had no reply to my direct email to Rails to tell them that the link was broken and of my intention

I haven't seen anyone mention Railroad prices apart from you, the only others have said the J36 is cheaper and another said they will just enjoy the 2 J36's - reel your neck back in good sir

• Like 2

Okay. Build or get someone to build the only kit available to modern standards, paint it, line it, apply transfers and see how much it costs.....

BTW it's £140 for the basic kit with no wheels, motor, etc. Add at least another £80 on that price for the rest.

£180 - £200 is a bargain IMO. Seems you don't really want a CR 812 just anything that's available. But only if it's at Hornby Railroad prices.

Jason

Each to their own, are people not entitled to their own  views/preferences anymore ???

As for the J36, it is a superb model. You only have to look at the NBR version. It seems somewhat strange that Hornby can produce it and market it for less than £170 rrp which is equipped with TTS sound.

Hardly Railroad prices as you suggest !

Will the fact that the Caley is a limited edition make it  a better detailed model ? Unlikely !

Infact, as someone else on here has already pointed out, it may well transpire in time that this loco is released into the main range.

N.B this has happened before with Locomotion special editions.

Will the Bachmann model, albeit limited edition be any more detailed than the J36, unlikely I would wager.

If you're prepared to pay £200 + for the Caley, good for you. Others however, won't and don't deserve to be castigated by the likes of you for their personal preference and choice.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Myself no I am not complaining about the price just:

A - I can't justify a locomotive that would become part of the LMS for that price on my LNER based layout

I find the point entirely fair. I myself, am buying things that are best suited to what I model. Partly due to cost and partly due to the great choice we have now and partly due to having been spoilt in the recent past. 

There is always a mark up on commissioned models - take the Modelzone commissioned MK1 TPOs priced at £31.99 back in 2009 when a run of the mill Bachmann Mk1 was substantially less and with discount you could easily get change for two from that price.

There is also the issue of what price raises may occur between a model being produced as a commissioned one and sold as part of Bachmanns range; the Mk1 Horse Box was £19.99 as a TMC commission and today £36.95 less whatever discount you can find; the Director was £130 as a NRM commission and today the equivalent has a Bachmann list price of £184.96 albeit it can be sourced for less (£127 inc postage from Hattons).

Speaking of postage is the Rails price for the Caley 0-6-0 inclusive of postage?

• RMweb Premium

I was looking to purchase a Caley, but the cost is ridiculous for an 0 6 0 tender loco. Who's to say that this won't be hiked again before delivery ?

I'll have to console myself with two Hornby J36's !

See where you coming from on this . Quite a substantial difference between a sound fitted (that I don’t need) Maude and the Caley 812, going on for £70 now. It’s a lot for an 0-6-0 but as I said before it’s the only show in town. I may have gone for a black one too but not at that price .

• RMweb Gold

Jason

It was not an essential, if any model can be essential. It's £40 more than the estimate, which is at the top end of what I was prepared to pay for an 0-6-0 with no particular design challenges. No, I don't really want an 812, I will spend my money elsewhere. No, I won't buy a kit, which will cost significantly more, as I don't really want one. Please don't accuse me of only wanting stuff at Railroad prices. You have no idea how much I've payed for individual locos or as a whole in the past or am committed to spending in the future.  

Every item produced needs sales to those who quite fancy something, but don't really want one, as the hard core demand is probably not massive.

The problem for the industry as a whole is that as prices are seen to rise, fewer people will make casual purchases, leaving those who really want a particular item to pay even more. It's an ever decreasing circle, as the more obvious items get produced and saturate their market, leaving the more esoteric items to be produced in smaller quantities for a smaller audience at ever higher prices, which will deter more people. which pushes prices up etc.

Until the whole thing disappears up its own rear end...….

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 5

It's a 2020 price.  Look to the manufacturer, not the commissioner, if you do not like the price increase, but I suspect that it costs what it costs simply because the production costs dictate that.  We will have to get used to these prices. The price trend for injection-moulded mainstream RTR is only going to go one way, but for 2020 the price will hardly be extravagant. If people cannot adjust their sense of relative value sufficiently to make the purchase, that is up to them. 

Since I rejoined the hobby three years ago, I have been hampered by an almost total lack of disposable income. Hopefully that will change in time, but I can sympathise with those who genuinely cannot afford modern RTR prices.  That does not mean that those prices are unreasonable. 

The comparison with the price of kits, to which you must add wheels, motors, gears and accessories, is well made. Some RTR offerings rival the achievements of professional kit-builders. If I had the time, skill and equipment to build, paint and line my own locomotives I would doubtless derive a far greater satisfaction than I do by opening my cheque book, but I would not save any money.   

EDIT: I'll add that I recently asked Bachmann if they would repeat the SE&CR C Class in the full Wainwright livery.  Despite the fact that, since it was produced, both the Hornby H and the Hattons P have successfully reproduced that livery, I was told by Bachmann that it was in effect now uneconomic to apply, not least because of the high rejection rate. We have excellent renderings of LB&SCR umber and GNR livery by Bachmann in the current list, but clearly elaborate liveries come at a price.  

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

Given tonights news re predicted the impact on the economy and rising interests rates arising from Brexit there is no guarantee the final price will not be noticeably higher either.

Just them saying has an instant effect on the economy. We've all understood its a pigs ear of an operation, but rubbing salt into it only makes it more unstable. 

Most companies have already predicted the rough ride and you can be certain Bachmann included a margin in these prices to cover it.

EDIT: I'll add that I recently asked Bachmann if they would repeat the SE&CR C Class in the full Wainwright livery.  Despite the fact that, since it was produced, both the Hornby H and the Hattons P have successfully reproduced that livery, I was told by Bachmann that it was in effect now uneconomic to apply, not least because of the high rejection rate. We have excellent renderings of LB&SCR umber and GNR livery by Bachmann in the current list, but clearly elaborate liveries come at a price.  

I agree its becoming bit of mystery how Bachmann cannot do these complex liveries without a lot of pain and extra cost while others seemingly can. The factory needs to put out spies to understand what they are missing. The same goes for sprung buffers, Bachmann saying it adds about £15 while others its just peanuts.

The odd thing is that Bachmann has usually charged the same price for a complicated livery and plain black on the same model released at the same time, until now. Pre-grouping liveries are bound to cost more to produce than plain black.

As for sprung buffers, a pack of eight Bachmann ones are available from Hatton’s for £5·06 or £7, depending on type. They can hardly cost more to fit than unsprung buffers and on a loco they don’t incur all the extra expense of packaging and administration. Very mysterious!

As for sprung buffers, a pack of eight Bachmann ones are available from Hatton’s for £5·06 or £7, depending on type. They can hardly cost more to fit than unsprung buffers and on a loco they don’t incur all the extra expense of packaging and administration. Very mysterious!

Or even packets of 8 from Accurascale for £2.95, with three different types available.

• 2 weeks later...