RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Very handsome indeed, at last a St Rollox  production to current RTR standard. (I can see a BR black one alongside the Hornby J36 in my expanding collection of 'examples of the UK 0-6-0 breed'.  Always liked 0-6-0s, and it was a long wait for the first decently accurate RTR OO model. Now we have a useful selection, that prospectively just got better.)

Detail aspect question. The LMS and BR condition EP's have the vac brake pipes both sides of loco and tender: is that simply showing the variations provided within the tooling suite?

• Like 1

They look brilliant Oliver!  Certainly doing the class justice.

One query regarding the Caledonian liveried versions.  I see the correct cab sheet lamps have been modelled, will these be available to buy separately too just to ensure the whole range of a) liveries and b) lamp codes can be covered?  The latter involves different forward facing colours of white or green on either or both sides, while always showing red to the rear, to show different classifications of Caley passenger and freight workings.

And now to try model a Caley semaphore route indicator!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Legend said:

Great to see progress on this . Are the prices still fixed and any idea of rough release date?

Yes, we are holding the confirmed prices. Delivery could be subject to the current coronavirus crisis however the latest confirmed dates were that wee expect decorated samples Q2/Q3. Delivery date is very early 2021 (In time for Model Rail Scotland). Every effort is being made to have the models released ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Yes, we are holding the confirmed prices. Delivery could be subject to the current coronavirus crisis however the latest confirmed dates were that wee expect decorated samples Q2/Q3. Delivery date is very early 2021 (In time for Model Rail Scotland). Every effort is being made to have the models released ASAP.

Many thanks for confirming Oliver . I spoke to the nice young lady on your stand today and had a look at the production samples . Really nice .  Well done on holding the price as Bachmann prices , ref C Class, seem to be overtaking the special commission. 

7 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Glad to hear both the holding of the price line and the date moving the balance out of 2020 for my budgeting purposes.

The EP’s look great to me and I can’t wait to see the livery samples.

I think I’d asked before, when they get closer to delivery is there going to be an option to buy DCC sound decoders for them, I assume recordings of 828 could easily be arranged as part of this project before she was out of ticket again.

Stephen

• Like 2

That large missing lower section of the boiler makes me nervous. Does that indicate that the motor is going to be exposed and obvious? If so, it would seriously distract from what otherwise looks to be an excellent model.

Edited by Battledown

4 minutes ago, Battledown said:

That large missing lower section of the boiler makes me nervous. Does that indicate that the motor is going to be exposed and obvious? If so, it would seriously distract from what otherwise looks to be an excellent model.

I'd hazard a guess that the underside of the boiler that is missing is part of the chassis section rather than the boiler section, a-la 56XX and others. 

Paul. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 15:09, Battledown said:

I don't believe that is a missing section, but the casting of the boiler underside finished in black. Bachmann have done this on previous models very successfully.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 15:24, Battledown said:

I did wonder but seem to also remember reading in a review that the motor is partially visible on the Bachmann SECR C Class.

Bachmann steadily raised their game in their series of pre-group 0-6-0s. If you go looking for it, you can just see the final gear stage on their MR 3F and SECR C class. Nothing of the mechanism on view on their next one, the GCR J11. I should think they are aiming at the same for this one, especially as Hornby have also demonstrated a completely concealed mechanism on the very petite GER J15 and the NBR J36. Can you tell that I am in happy anticipation of the CR 0-6-0 joining the stable? I really like the honesty of these once very common workhorses.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, JonathonAG said:

As we're nearing the end of Q3, is there a further update to the information we were provided at Model Rail Scotland in February?

Not seen anything . People who are in Members club may have more info, I didnt rejoin .   It has at least reappeared in Rails advert in the periodicals , after not been mentioned for the previous few months , but no dates.   I remember when announced at Model Rail Scotland in 2018 that the initial quote from both Bachmann and Rails was 18 months . Oh well seems to be following Bachmanns normal gestation period , probably 3-4 years !

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Legend said:

Not seen anything . People who are in Members club may have more info, I didnt rejoin .   It has at least reappeared in Rails advert in the periodicals , after not been mentioned for the previous few months , but no dates.   I remember when announced at Model Rail Scotland in 2018 that the initial quote from both Bachmann and Rails was 18 months . Oh well seems to be following Bachmanns normal gestation period , probably 3-4 years !

According to the Autumn 2020 Bachmann Times, the model is at the livery artwork stage.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Legend and Rembrow.

Perhaps an issue to flag with RoS.  Why is information regarding the 812 project then being issued via Bachmann Times, but not on their own website or via email to those who have already paid deposits?  Not everybody (including myself) are subscribed to Bachmann Members club, and any information regarding the build should be finding it's way to those who have already put money into the allocations?

• Agree 8

9 minutes ago, JonathonAG said:

Thanks for the update Legend and Rembrow.

Perhaps an issue to flag with RoS.  Why is information regarding the 812 project then being issued via Bachmann Times, but not on their own website or via email to those who have already paid deposits?  Not everybody (including myself) are subscribed to Bachmann Members club, and any information regarding the build should be finding it's way to those who have already put money into the allocations?

We in the Bachmann Collectors Club aren't getting any extra information. Just that it has a list of what models are at which stage with a very vague estimated delivery date.

The details normally get posted in the Bachmann part of the forum.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149571-Bachmann-oooo9-availability-including-branchline-efe-rail-narrow-gauge-thomas-to-june-2021-as-of-1708/

So don't panic thinking you are missing out on details about the 812 and we are getting it, we aren't.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2020 at 11:31, Oliver Rails said:

Hi @Oliver Rails, hope you're doing well. Just wondered if there way any update on this locomotive, and whether early 2021 is still looking feasible? Cheers!

Hi,

All being well we should see some livery samples next month. 

I think it is fair to say that COVID will have impacted the delivery date slightly. We are enquiring at the moment so see what kind of delays this may have caused. I will advise once I have an update.

Thanks
Oliver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 25/09/2020 at 16:48, Oliver Rails said:

Hi,

All being well we should see some livery samples next month. 

I think it is fair to say that COVID will have impacted the delivery date slightly. We are enquiring at the moment so see what kind of delays this may have caused. I will advise once I have an update.

Thanks
Oliver

Thanks for the update Oliver, looking forward to the livery samples.

• 3 weeks later...