RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

2 hours ago, jivebunny said:

According to this colorised postcard (which is far from being definitive proof, I grant you), it would seem the base of the firebox was in fact black in the CR days. Going by what we've seen in this thread, it sounds like Rails have been talking to the right people in terms of getting this model right so I'd be inclined to trust them on this, but I must say I find it does look better with the blue going all the way down.

Think I might just have to place a pre-order for the "as-built but in 1915" version...

Edit: Well, that's me 200 quid lighter.

Alan

812.jpg.2dafa7626d94906ad4c71c461b1fe85d.jpg

Thanks for clarifying, looks great.  Certainly seems like they've done a lot of great research.

For the record, I wasn't criticising Rails or Bachmann but simply asking if that particular part was correct, as is often the case on internet forums. 

To echo PaulRhB's thoughts on here, I was also under the impression that people could respond to comments, not just questions.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, MonsalDan said:

I was also under the impression that people could respond to comments, not just questions.

I'm not in the mood for hair-splitting; people jumping into various topics to criticise a product on trivialities as some form of competitive nit-picking  is what's partly putting me in a bad mood.

• Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I'm not in the mood for hair-splitting; people jumping into various topics to criticise a product on trivialities as some form of competitive nit-picking  is what's partly putting me in a bad mood.

Come on Andy, it was quite clearly not like that.  I said in my comment that I thought it looked really good, I was just wondering about the firebox colour which has now been clarified...

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MonsalDan said:

Come on Andy, it was quite clearly not like that. 

I did quote the element I had a problem (or the potential tone of it) with and it wasn't the firebox paintwork.

If I'm not in a good mood it's not wise to keep arguing the point.

There are two black and white photos in HJC Cornwell's magnum opus, both have much darker bases to the firebox. 812 as built in 1899 (but not in works grey by the look of it) and 820 at a later unspecified date. Likewise 'Caledonian Cavalcade' has a photo of "a war weary 827" in 1918 with the darker base, although in that case it could just be muck. 

I admit that when I saw the painted samples I assumed the firebox bottom was part of the footplate casting and had just been left unpainted (the boiler bottom is the same on one of them), I was surprised that it is in fact correct !   

I don't need one, I have one of the Caley Coaches ones in BR Black and almost enough bits to build a second, but the light blue one does look rather nice. I won't be allowed to weather it though :mad:

Edited by Wheatley

I think all the painted samples look fantastic, I’m very happy I have an As Built Light Blue on order. I might buy a BR black one to run on my club’s layout as well, but money is always the problem.

I must get on with building some coaches to go with it.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More Caley 812 action at Aviemore in 2019...

Caleytastic! ;)

Caley at Aviemore

Caley at Aviemore 2

Black early crest version ordered but very tempted with either of the Caley versions. 

Wonderful stuff all round and hope it will be a great success. I think it deserves to be... :D

A Caley 439 Class 2P 0-4-4T would be a suitable next announcement.... ;)

Edited by 46444
  • Like 11

I must confess to being a wee bit disappointed when the versions list was announced as I took "as built" to mean the darker blue livery so I am delighted to see my assumption was wrong.

Rails seem to be developing a network of knowledgeable folk and are willing to act on their advice to produce accurate models. This is their first up my street so I pleased to be able to support them.

Alan

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2020 at 17:42, Ian Hargrave said:

Just think,you can legitimately run it alongside Class 170,HST Scotrail and DRS 66. 

You can run it along side several GWR, LMS locos too.. the engine visited the SVR and Llangollen in recent memory.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/10/2020 at 10:29, Legend said:

I predict this will do for the Caley what the 'C' class did for the SE&CR . Who could not be impressed with that beautiful blue (whatever version) livery . I can see 0-4-4T appearing after this . And who knows may yet get a 4-4-0.  Getting excited 

Yes fingers crossed. A Single too be great! And also be great to see this expanded to the Highlands Railway, would love to get a Jones Goods class in that golden ochre colour. https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/4f-103-4-6-0-hr-jones-goods/

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

You can run it along side several GWR, LMS locos too.. the engine visited the SVR and Llangollen in recent memory.

It did visit the SVR and was lovely to drive. It looks like a fantastic model to me, although LMS or BR black would only be appropriate for me anyway

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, daltonparva said:

There was some film of this and quite a lot of the Caley single on last night's channel 5 "Walking Britains Lost Railways".

Yes I thought it was a good program . Glen Ogle is such a stunning location .  The Caley 123 did a rail tour  there in the 60s I think , that’s where the footage came from . I did clock the 812 . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Yes I thought it was a good program . Glen Ogle is such a stunning location .  The Caley 123 did a rail tour  there in the 60s I think , that’s where the footage came from . I did clock the 812 . 

Certainly could've done with a local that isn't Stirling. 

Edit: Actually I think those were Jumbo's, class 294s, I can't recall if 812s were common on the C&O, though mind you, my knowledge of my own local railway is shockingly poor. 

Edited by scots region
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 13:45, JonathonAG said:

As we're nearing the end of Q3, is there a further update to the information we were provided at Model Rail Scotland in February?

Screenshot_20210117-162020.png.6eff5b69065efcf0600ac3b87b17ec7b.png

Had not spotted the summer 2021 date before?

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, tractionman said:

Screenshot_20210117-162020.png.6eff5b69065efcf0600ac3b87b17ec7b.png

Cheers,

Keith

Summer in Scotland can be quite short , it’s usually the third week in June . Wonder if Rails know that ? 

• Funny 3

16 hours ago, tractionman said:

Cheers,

Keith

Q2 2021 (April-June) was mentioned when Rails showed us the deco samples a couple of months ago, although with the current situation I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had slipped a bit.

38 minutes ago, Legend said:

Summer in Scotland can be quite short , it’s usually the third week in June . Wonder if Rails know that ? 

I seem to remember from my time in Edinburgh that summer actually only occurs on leap years.

(I jest. The first year I was there we were in t-shirts until October!) 

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, jivebunny said:

Q2 2021 (April-June) was mentioned when Rails showed us the deco samples a couple of months ago, although with the current situation I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had slipped a bit.

I seem to remember from my time in Edinburgh that summer actually only occurs on leap years.

(I jest. The first year I was there we were in t-shirts until October!) 

Alan

Yeah but people here think 15 degrees is Scorchio

• Like 1
  • Agree 1