RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

On 21/06/2021 at 11:43, JohnR said:

Is there an expected date for the loco to be here? Need to start my financial planning. 

That I commend you on.

For me it's more just, stuff arrives and I have, somehow, to find the money!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I have a vague memory of seeing a post somewhere stating the Precedents were coming first (no idea why) and the Caley's would follow.

If true I'm guessing the September date is slipping. Or Rails are going to have a pile of annoyed customers with 2x £150-£200 models landing in the same month.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just cancelled my two. Ok I lost £60 , but the price just keeps going up and things have changed over the last 2 years. Given I would have to rebuild them anyway I'm not paying £450 for two nicely painted bodies. 

I live and learn. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave John said:

I just cancelled my two. Ok I lost £60 , but the price just keeps going up and things have changed over the last 2 years. Given I would have to rebuild them anyway I'm not paying £450 for two nicely painted bodies. 

I live and learn. 

I'm not sure it "keeps going up" - looking back at the start of the thread in 2018, I see the estimated price then was £160, while now its £179.99, and has been for some time. I'm not aware of a more recent price increase. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, JohnR said:

I'm not sure it "keeps going up" - looking back at the start of the thread in 2018, I see the estimated price then was £160, while now its £179.99, and has been for some time. I'm not aware of a more recent price increase. 

Quite, only 1 RRP has been announced, (well 2 as the lined models are more expensive) but I'm not aware of a Bachmann price increase recently. 

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it could be a very expensive Autumn for me with the 812,Precedent , Crimson Compound and possibly Hattons coaches all arriving at same time .  But I’ll be glad to see them all . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Minor nitpick but I hope they update the as built 828 to include the right smoke box door handle, correct me if I'm wrong but every photo I have seen of 828 while it was still in its lite blue livery had a normal handle on it and not the circular one that the livery sample model has. I know its just the livery sample and it will change but still.

CR_812.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Als Yard said:

Minor nitpick but I hope they update the as built 828 to include the right smoke box door handle, correct me if I'm wrong but every photo I have seen of 828 while it was still in its lite blue livery had a normal handle on it and not the circular one that the livery sample model has. I know its just the livery sample and it will change but still.

CR_812.jpg

Was that just a preservation thing with a later smokebox door handle though? Preserved loco's especially the early preservation era photos aren't the best for comparing as built liveries as as you can imagine they changed over the years of service. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Was that just a preservation thing with a later smokebox door handle though? Preserved loco's especially the early preservation era photos aren't the best for comparing as built liveries as as you can imagine they changed over the years of service. 

Its more likely a case that it is the style smokebox handle which was fitted at the time it was withdrawn and preserved. They are much easier to use (in my opinion) and ultimately running engines even today is about practicality. Many engines are fitted with rockers and hoppers that they were not fitted with in BR days or before. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Als Yard said:

CR_812.jpg

I’m fairly sure the the ‘812’ Class were all built with the round smoke box door handle, the official St. Rollox works portrait of lead locomotive No. 812 has the round handle.
No. 828 was part of the air braked first batch of 20 built at St. Rollox.
The picture you posted is No. 828 in a preserved  condition.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2021 at 12:19, luckymucklebackit said:

Amazing to think that when this originallly was announced I had an operational layout, since then I have dismantled that layout and moved house twice!

I should have known better than to pre-order any more Bachmann products, when I ordered the Caley loco back in February 2018, while I was still awaiting my Bachmann Mk2f RFB, pre-ordered in June 2013 which eventually arrived in October 2018.    LIfe moves on and I retired in June of this year and my wife's job could be finishing in the near future.   Thinking long and hard about whether I should cancel, but if the 812 really is expected in September of this year I should be patient just a little longer.    

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

Thinking long and hard about whether I should cancel, but if the 812 really is expected in September of this year I should be patient just a little longer.    

According to the just issued Bachmann Collectors Club magazine they have been produced and are in transit.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

According to the just issued Bachmann Collectors Club magazine they have been produced and are in transit.

About time, iv only been waiting since the start of 2021 for mine and I'm getting impatient, I cant imagen how it must feel waiting over 3 years for the model, can't wait!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/08/2021 at 11:37, Legend said:

I reckon it could be a very expensive Autumn for me with the 812,Precedent , Crimson Compound and possibly Hattons coaches all arriving at same time .  But I’ll be glad to see them all . 

Me too! This and the Hattons coaches are on order. But nothing compared to the costs of building my 6m long layout / shed this month. DIY insulation costs alone are eye watering!!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 12/08/2021 at 05:12, drt7uk said:

Me too! This and the Hattons coaches are on order. But nothing compared to the costs of building my 6m long layout / shed this month. DIY insulation costs alone are eye watering!!!

If Hattons was smart they would move their Caledonian coaches from batch 3 to batch 2, it would be literal free easy money for them.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Damn it!!!!

Was just mooching about on the Rails website, sneezed and accidently pre-ordered the original Caley blue version!!!!!

In reality I've been umming and ahing about get one for a while. Might as well get a pre-order in before they arrive given the popularity of the SECR D Class

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I feel like for whatever reason Rails have prioritised 18000 and the Improved Precedent to the 812 in most of their marketing (inc. emails). To me this says one of two contradictory things 1. It's selling so well that they just haven't really needed to push it at all. 2. It's still some time off with the others expected to arrive beforehand hence the push on those.

Edited by E100
  • Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 08:33, JohnR said:

Would be nice ot have an official date now. I'm assuming if its arriving in September, its in a container already. 

At this rate its looking more towards a October release, I wouldn't be surprised if they push it back to November

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 01/09/2021 at 16:47, Als Yard said:

At this rate its looking more towards a October release, I wouldn't be surprised if they push it back to November

Well there goes hope for that, I guess the only coaches I can run with my 812 is the old 4 wheeled Hornby Caledonian coaches or old Triang Caledonian coaches. If I get desperate I might just paint the newer Hornby 4 wheeled coaches in a Caledonian livery.

image.png.d7b2f9671d83cb505890ad1b7b596f5d.png

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Als Yard said:

Well there goes hope for that, I guess the only coaches I can run with my 812 is the old 4 wheeled Hornby Caledonian coaches or old Triang Caledonian coaches. If I get desperate I might just paint the newer Hornby 4 wheeled coaches in a Caledonian livery.

image.png.d7b2f9671d83cb505890ad1b7b596f5d.png

I have a copy of the excellent book 'Caledonian in LMS Days' by Ferguson and Stirling which has early grouping images of CR liveried locos hauling LMS branded rolling stock, so scope for a 1923-5 theme for a layout is possible a little bit sooner, if that appeals (as it does to me!).

All the best,

Keith

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1