RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

2 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

Apologies if this has been covered , but as this is

’as preserved’ does this mean that the dark blue is also an authentic 

livery for when the loco was in service ?

The dark blue livery is authentic, but the model wearing it is not.

When carrying CR colours (either light or dark) there are a number of detail differences compared to the loco in later life, e.g. fewer lamp irons, different safety valves, lack of vacuum ejector/brake etc.

Hence how the dark CR liveried model as produced is only correct for the locomotive in it's preserved state.

You can see a few of those detail differences in the pictures posted above.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, amdaley said:

I see International orders for these models won't be going out until after Christmas.

Aw shame, been anticipating this since it was announced. Hopefully they'll work their way to us North American customers when they can. 

Glad to see they are as beautiful as the prototype

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well finally made it up to Ice Station Zebra (the loft) to run her .  She runs well .  I was a bit nervous about that as it is the first coreless motored model I have . My control set up is old with a 25 year old Gaugemaster D controller for the mainlines , A Hornby R910 for the branch (yes I know its about time I upgraded , but its the nostalgia factor!)and an H&M Clipper also of 1975 vintage . She seems to cope with them all . With the Hornby R910 there is no crawl she is up at a relatively quick speed immediately . I got a reasonable crawl with both Gaugemaster and H&M Controllers  and I'm sure it will be better once she is run in . A nice slow speed over my small radius set track insulfrog points , so no issues there .  She is not silent but not noisy and maybe will get quieter once run in , my Midland Compound was the same when new and is now super quiet , although I think she has a normal motor .

Aside from my Scotrail HST which was £261, but you could argue is a twin set , this is my most expensive loco to date (although the Precedent is coming which is £220). Do I think its over priced , yes I do , when compared to my Hornby J36 Maude , but am I happy I spent the money .......Yes .  This is an exsquisite locomotive that I really wanted . It is the only show in town , so it would be churlish not to buy because its expensive , and I am in the fortunate position I can treat myself .  So overall I'm happy .  It is very difficult to spot if the cab handrails are metal or plastic . They look the part and to me are not that thick . 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, amdaley said:

Thanks for the photos.

Are the upright cab handrails plastic or metal ?

The long ones (floor to roof) are part of the plastic moulding. The short ones just below the side opening are metal.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A dirty one coming my way for action on Kilbowie at Modelrail Scotland. I have just phoned to upgrade to the sound model. I was going to wait till and choose a sound file but having the built in speaker has spooked me a bit. It may still get an additional speaker in the tender. We'll see..........

• Like 1

My preservation one is on it's way and with the debacle I had with a certain 14xx and a coreless motor can anyone recommend some CV settings, decoder will be a Zimo but if others are suggested I'll go with that. I really don't know why I ordered one, other than I wanted company for Maude!

My own Preserved and late BR Black versions have arrived, and the few details covered before, it's still a rather wonderful looking model thats Rails and Bachmann should be congratulated for creating.

Some photos later and then some running in! 

Caledonian Coaches and a 439 next? 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, amdaley said:

I see International orders for these models won't be going out until after Christmas.

Aye, contacted them to see if they could be sent out before Christmas, as they say to do such on their site, but no idea if they'll be able too. I'm not expecting them to be here FOR Christmas but hopefully they may be able to get it shipped out before Christmas

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

Off topic, could I ask whether 812 dark blue has sand boxes/pipes please ?

The pics on here suggest not, while the photo’s on Rails website show them !

The three models of 828 lack the rear sandboxes abaft the centre driving wheel which is I believe prototypical for this particular engine through the ages.

They should be present on 57565 (weathered, early BR crest) as that engine did have them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My BR Caley 812 57566 arrived today (Thought I'd ordered the weathered version!) 

It's one heck of a model. Folks won't be disappointed. 

Congratulations to Rails and Bachmann.

Like others have mentioned time for a Caley 439 from the Rails/Bachmann stable. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 8

Time for videos everyone - pulling prototypical rakes, filthy wagons - and at least one person running theirs on carpet on radius 2 up a 1/25 with a non-prototypical rake complaining about the motor.

Really looking forward to seeing them all, apart from the latter...

Edited by Nova Scotian
Fat head and cold fingers
  • Funny 8

I received my as-built Caley blue model today. I haven't run it yet but, on first inspection, I have to say I am generally pleased in spite of my initial reservations. Yes, the tender copings are over-scale but it is not obvious in the flesh, especially as the tender bulkheads are relatively thin. The livery is beautifully applied and the satin finish is perfect. The only thing I will address is to replace the oversized plastic cab stanchions with nickel silver wire, everything else I can live with. I may commission some etched brass cab-side number plates - the printed ones are accurate but don't look right because they are flush. I am at a loss to understand why the Improved Precedent will come with them, but this one doesn't.

Edited by Battledown
spelling error
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Battledown said:

I may commission some etched brass cab-side number plates - the printed ones are accurate but don't look right because they are flush. I am at a loss to understand why the Improved Precedent will come with them, but this one doesn't.

Probably a case the comissioner, Rails, failed to specify them. Give it five years or so and they will no doubt appear in the main Bachmann range with them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Battledown said:

I received my as-built Caley blue model today. I haven't run it yet but, on first inspection, I have to say I am generally pleased in spite of my initial reservations. Yes, the tender copings are over-scale but it is not obvious in the flesh, especially as the tender bulkheads are relatively thin. The livery is beautifully applied and the satin finish is perfect. The only thing I will address is to replace the oversized plastic cab stanchions with nickel silver wire, everything else I can live with. I may commission some etched brass cab-side number plates - the printed ones are accurate but don't look right because they are flush. I am at a loss to understand why the Improved Precedent will come with them, but this one doesn't.

Those stanchions really look horrendous but I have a photo taken in preservation which shows  them that thickness from the door level down. 

Maybe that's where the idea came from ?

I don't know who took the photo so I don't want to put it up here without permission.

Edited by amdaley