RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

3 hours ago, amdaley said:

Those stanchions really look horrendous but I have a photo taken in preservation which shows  them that thickness from the door level down. 

Maybe that's where the idea came from ?

I don't know who took the photo so I don't want to put it up here without permission.

Theres this accessible to anyone photo on Facebook (presumably if you are a member you can see it larger)

https://m.facebook.com/812ClassMcIntoshStandardGoods1899/photos/pcb.1023174811205282/1023172091205554/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

Edited by Butler Henderson
Quote added
  • Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Theres this accessible to anyone photo on Facebook (presumably if you are a member you can see it larger)

https://m.facebook.com/812ClassMcIntoshStandardGoods1899/photos/pcb.1023174811205282/1023172091205554/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

There's also a photo there if you scroll to the right which shows the top edge of the tender.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Battledown said:

I may commission some etched brass cab-side number plates - the printed ones are accurate but don't look right because they are flush.

If you do decide to go ahead with this please do let me know as I (and I'm sure others) would also like some so could go to the same supplier. I'm not necessarily suggesting a discount per say as obviously it'd get very complicated no doubt.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased with mine, was running them in yesterday. I don't think the cab roof is that thick in real life, maybe the blue version exaggerates it. Also, when viewed side-on, the vertical cab handrail is actually quite thin as it's sort of rectangular in shape. Might swap it for wire but don't know if I can really be bothered :lol:

1D5C5847-8A06-4903-A635-0206A2ECBF06_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, amdaley said:

Those stanchions really look horrendous but I have a photo taken in preservation which shows  them that thickness from the door level down. 

LSWR locos had thicker stanchions lower down - represented in 4mm scale by 0.7mm wire at the bottom and 0.45mm wire at the top. Those that only came up to hold height, such as on tenders or tank engines, were often tapered - in 4mm scale represented by 0.7mm wire tapered by spinning in a mini drill against emery paper.

Here's a phot of how I have done it on a LSWR L11 I am building.

F2MCvTLlRRuSfPhxsRUQUQ.jpg.373711787e3ba6bbffdb2e7c868f4cef.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

So, what can we say....

It is rather lovely, certainly the star of the show and overall a wonderful job by Rails and Bachmann.  Instant regrets of not ordering the sound fitted version.

While I haven't included a photo for comparison, I have stood the Preserved Blue version alongside the Caledonian Lamps I made for the Caley Reunion in 2018.  These were painted using spare 'Oxford Blue' paint from a few tins in Aviemore Shed as used on the real locomotive, and the blue is spot on.  The reds could have been with being slightly more vibrant, as such have been oomphed a touch in photoshop, but otherwise the best Caledonian livery representation we've seen in 00 gauge.

I'll go over the BR Black version at some point, lined up alongside my kit built 55189.

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

that is truly magnificent...........wonder if they might do a Cardean  at some stage..............after the Midland Spinner of course:jester::jester:

Perhaps start saving in anticipation!!! Just love this pre- Group stuff.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m thoroughly happy with this loco . It is stunning . Yes I know about thick tenders and cab poles , to me it’s not noticeable . I really hope that this does trigger a rash of Caledonian models just as the SE&CR C class spawned new models like the D and is it H class?  I am amazed that this loco and Caley Blue was not done years ago , all we had to put up with were Hornbys 123 and pug .  Like you I’d hope for a Cardean or a Dunalastair . Perhaps more likely in the short term is the 439 0-4-4T though . Here’s hoping ! 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’m thoroughly happy with this loco . It is stunning . Yes I know about thick tenders and cab poles , to me it’s not noticeable . I really hope that this does trigger a rash of Caledonian models just as the SE&CR C class spawned new models like the D and is it H class?  I am amazed that this loco and Caley Blue was not done years ago , all we had to put up with were Hornbys 123 and pug .  Like you I’d hope for a Cardean or a Dunalastair . Perhaps more likely in the short term is the 439 0-4-4T though . Here’s hoping ! 

I'd imagine that the 439's would be the smartest move forward in terms of Caledonian.  The Hornby 'Maude' and Rails 828 show that preserved examples of pre-grouping locomotives do sell rather well, and the 439 class does also allow for various livery options to be sold (419 Light Blue, Dark Blue, 15189 Crimson, 15189 Black and 55189).

With the CDC Designs D40 not far from general sale, I think it's only a question of 'When?' before an D34 is tackled.  That leaves the Jones Goods and Caley Single as major pre-grouping Scottish examples as an 'if', with the remaining GSWR Tank and NBR Y9 in the same category as scrapped classes to be considered.

Edited by JonathonAG
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I am assuming that they are working through these on a first come first served basis, I ordered my BR weathered black 57565 on 9th September and have not had any indication from Rails when my order will be processed.

Jim

I certainly ordered mine very early at Model Rail Scotland 2018 , so it maybe they are working through orders as they were placed .  Still running in , so light engine for time being . The firebox flicker comes on at reasonable speeds but to me just looks like a red LED , no flicker or anything (DC only) 

FCCA9744-8709-4591-A92C-CF1D3DCAB87B.jpeg

BC7C4C9C-463B-4531-92C9-410D40AA7A34.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I am assuming that they are working through these on a first come first served basis, I ordered my BR weathered black 57565 on 9th September and have not had any indication from Rails when my order will be processed.

Jim

I read somewhere that 57565 is not due into Rails until this week.

I have two on order for re-numbering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

I certainly ordered mine very early at Model Rail Scotland 2018 , so it maybe they are working through orders as they were placed .  Still running in , so light engine for time being . The firebox flicker comes on at reasonable speeds but to me just looks like a red LED , no flicker or anything (DC only) 

FCCA9744-8709-4591-A92C-CF1D3DCAB87B.jpeg

BC7C4C9C-463B-4531-92C9-410D40AA7A34.jpeg

I may be wrong but I believe the flicker (yellow LED) only works on DCC with a steady LED on DC.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, CCarmichael said:

I received my excellent As Build variant yesterday. Does anyone know of some suitable ready to run rolling stock? I know of the Hornby R2160 'The Caledonian' train pack from 2008 but it looks difficult to just buy the coaches.

Thanks.

I don’t think there is anything rtr at moment. Coaching wise .  Not sure if there are 6 wheelers coming from Hattons or Hornby . I’ve also been looking out for the Caledonian Coaches as a best fit , but the later Hornby ones not the red/white ones from 70s .   There maybe some Scottish 7 plank or tank wagons around . Harburn in Edinburgh occasionally produce Scottish special edition wagons 

29 minutes ago, Legend said:

There maybe some Scottish 7 plank or tank wagons around . Harburn in Edinburgh occasionally produce Scottish special edition wagons 

I don't know whether they're currently available, but Oxford did a 4-plank end-door mineral wagon which IIRC was a particularly Scottish variety- they released it in both NBR and Scottish Private Owner guises

• Informative/Useful 2

On 12/12/2021 at 10:41, Blandford1969 said:
On 12/12/2021 at 10:08, Battledown said:

Here's a phot of how I have done it on a LSWR L11 I am building.

That looks nice will you be sharing your build of this (Brassmasters?)

Yes, it is Brassmasters. I have not kept a log of the build - I actually built the tender about 4 years ago and have not done anything to the loco for about 2 years, choosing instead to build a Brassmasters T3. Again, no article but I do have photos of the various build stages to which I could add a few notes if anyone is interested. Obviously, this would be on a new thread.

Edited by Battledown
Additional info
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Battledown said:

Yes, it is Brassmasters. I have not kept a log of the build - I actually built the tender about 4 years ago and have not done anything to the loco for about 2 years, choosing instead to build a Brassmasters T3. Again, no article but I do have photos of the various build stages to which I could add a few notes if anyone is interested. Obviously, this would be on a new thread.

Yes please, I'm sure lots of us would be even if its after the event. Every build helps others (certainly me ) to then work out how to do things.