RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

4 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Can't remember when I ordered it, but mine arrived today. Apart from the Tri-ang tender top it's very nice. 

20211214_165256.jpg

I notice of the photos of the model on the Rails site, none of them show the tender top looking down on it.

I wonder why ;)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, andytrains said:

The Hornby Caledonian coaches are not right. The underframe and ends, I think, are from Mk1 coaches.

IIRC they were approximately based on early 1900's CR 'Grampian' express stock, but made to fit Triang's BR Mk 1 chassis and ends- I don't know a lot about Caledonian coaches, but if memory serves, one of the most obvious discrepancies is that the actual 'Grampian' coaches had 6-wheel bogies

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As its a big birthday coming up for me in January , I've been authorised to buy myself a second blue one , the lighter one this time .  I said I wouldnt , because of the price , but I'm too weak and I've fallen into the trap. Lovely locos 

Wow , and in an update Royal Mail just delivered my parcel in less than 24 hours from ordering . Tested and if anything smoother than my original dark blue one that still needs a bit of a run in . Great service from Rails and the Royal Mail . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Invicta said:

IIRC they were approximately based on early 1900's CR 'Grampian' express stock, but made to fit Triang's BR Mk 1 chassis and ends- I don't know a lot about Caledonian coaches, but if memory serves, one of the most obvious discrepancies is that the actual 'Grampian' coaches had 6-wheel bogies

The only part of the Triang Caledonian Coach that is in any way Caledonian are the sides, the rest of the coach is BR Mk1 from half a century later. I rebuilt one at the start of the first lockdown using a Dapol 12 wheel LMS restaurant car for the roof, ends and bogies.

What we really need to go with the ‘as built’ Class 812 are steel bodied 30t mineral/goods bogie wagons.

538CD03A-DA7E-4BED-B92A-247F453A3E0D.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, turbos said:

The only part of the Triang Caledonian Coach that is in any way Caledonian are the sides, the rest of the coach is BR Mk1 from half a century later. I rebuilt one at the start of the first lockdown using a Dapol 12 wheel LMS restaurant car for the roof, ends and bogies.

What we really need to go with the ‘as built’ Class 812 are steel bodied 30t mineral/goods bogie wagons.

538CD03A-DA7E-4BED-B92A-247F453A3E0D.jpeg

Nice one . I think the Caley 812s in Blue were also used on some of the fast Clyde Coast Boat Trains . I believe that was bogie stock , but not 6 wheelers . Seems there is nothing to run behind them , other than trains of PO wagons . 

• Like 2

I ordered 1 of these, and a Precedent, as soon as they were announced. I paid a deposit by PayPal, and marked both to collect in store. I haven't heard anything yet, do you think I will get a notification to collect them, or should I just turn up as they have been sending them out, even if only ordered a day ago, as above?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

I ordered 1 of these, and a Precedent, as soon as they were announced. I paid a deposit by PayPal, and marked both to collect in store. I haven't heard anything yet, do you think I will get a notification to collect them, or should I just turn up as they have been sending them out, even if only ordered a day ago, as above?

I think it depends which one you ordered . It looks like both blue ones (that I ordered) and the LMS one are in stock , but I've yet to see a BR one , which may not be with Rails yet . Same with the Precedents I have a red one on order , but theres been no confirmation of despatch . I note that the only ones we have seen are the LNWR Black ones from Rails and Locomotion , no LMS red or black ones yet . So in short, I think its just a matter of waiting 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

Nice one . I think the Caley 812s in Blue were also used on some of the fast Clyde Coast Boat Trains . I believe that was bogie stock , but not 6 wheelers . Seems there is nothing to run behind them , other than trains of PO wagons . 

The fast Clyde Coast Boat Trains did use ‘Grampian’ 12 wheelers but the non-corridor version. The usual formation was BT F BT BT On Saturdays, these were strengthened with the behemoth D105 68’ 11 compartment third, the biggest coach ever built by the Caledonian Railway. To make they require either a lot of cutting and shutting of the Triang compartment sides or the Caley Coaches kit.

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think it depends which one you ordered . It looks like both blue ones (that I ordered) and the LMS one are in stock , but I've yet to see a BR one , which may not be with Rails yet . Same with the Precedents I have a red one on order , but theres been no confirmation of despatch . I note that the only ones we have seen are the LNWR Black ones from Rails and Locomotion , no LMS red or black ones yet . So in short, I think its just a matter of waiting 

I have black LMS Talavera on its way to me 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

It might be worth giving them a quick call - I'd pre-ordered an 'as built' 812 and heard nothing in the last few days so made an enquiry. A very friendly and helpful Rails team member informed me that when they had tried to take the balance my bank had flagged the transaction as potentially fraudulent and blocked it.

Apparently this has happened to a number of pre-orders which has complicated a busy pre-Crimble period for Rails, and they are in the process of contacting customers with blocked payments. I wondered if one of the reasons it had been blocked was that is a purchase over £100 from an IP address that my bank didn't recognize, so I enquired if I could get the deposit refunded and then try buying the loco from my PC whilst on the phone. The staff member had a word with their manager who kindly agreed - the transaction went through and within the hour I had Rails and Royal Mail notifications that my loco was in the post. 

Top service from Rails and I'm eagerly awaiting a slice of Scotland....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/12/2021 at 14:18, Blandford1969 said:
On 14/12/2021 at 13:29, Battledown said:

Yes, it is Brassmasters. I have not kept a log of the build - I actually built the tender about 4 years ago and have not done anything to the loco for about 2 years, choosing instead to build a Brassmasters T3. Again, no article but I do have photos of the various build stages to which I could add a few notes if anyone is interested. Obviously, this would be on a new thread.

Yes please, I'm sure lots of us would be even if its after the event. Every build helps others (certainly me ) to then work out how to do things. 

I have made a start on Modelling Zone / Skills & Knowledge / Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding and title it 'Adams T3 Kit Build - Retrospective Ramblings.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My preserved Caley 858 arrived today.it is one of the most attractive models I have purchased. Beautifully finished and presented. On the subject of packaging,Bachmann’s inner cradle/ shell has small foam strips located around crucial points holding the model to protect it from damage during delivery or storage. 

• Like 3

Feel like all of my Christmases have come at once!

Mine arrived today, and was followed less than an hour later by my Hardwicke.

So happy with it, ordered mine right away back in 2018 can't believe it's finally with me. Stunning livery.

Definitely agree with those suggesting giving Rails a call. They were friendly and helped process mine promptly. May have arrived fine without my nudging but no harm calling and asking politely, sure they'll help.

Both will look great with my LNWR coaches from Hattons when they arrive next summer.

IMG_20211215_225245_396.jpg

IMG_20211215_225245_588.jpg

IMG_20211215_225245_827.jpg

IMG_20211215_225245_875.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Feel like all of my Christmases have come at once!

Mine arrived today, and was followed less than an hour later by my Hardwicke.

So happy with it, ordered mine right away back in 2018 can't believe it's finally with me. Stunning livery.

Definitely agree with those suggesting giving Rails a call. They were friendly and helped process mine promptly. May have arrived fine without my nudging but no harm calling and asking politely, sure they'll help.

Both will look great with my LNWR coaches from Hattons when they arrive next summer.

IMG_20211215_225245_396.jpg

IMG_20211215_225245_588.jpg

IMG_20211215_225245_827.jpg

IMG_20211215_225245_875.jpg

Looks awesome! :D

Is that the "as built" or preserved?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

Looks awesome! :D

Is that the "as built" or preserved?

It's the as built. Lighter blue, few embellishments (smokebox dart) and the early safety valve system.