RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Just unboxed mine, possibly the first 812 outside of the UK :D I cheated though, got it posted to my parents' place and collected it at Christmas.

First impressions: it's a nice model, on par with Hornby's J36 in all but price. I probably wouldn't have noticed or paid attention to the Tri-ang tender top if I hadn't seen it mentioned here. I've removed the front coupler and NEM pocket but not yet fitted the detailing, I always run locomotives for a few weeks before doing that. The front end of the brake rodding between the left and right wheels can just be popped out to extract the NEM pocket. In terms of running quality, it's a very quiet and smooth runner (on DC for now) and the firebox glow is a nice touch in low light conditions. I think I'll come to regret not ordering the DCC sound version.

However I have two major gripes:

My first is with traction... I've only had a chance to run it on my workbench oval for now, but with a single Hornby LNER teak in tow the engine starts wheelslipping as soon as it hits a curve (450mm in this case, so slightly above the minimum recommended 438mm curve). Doesn't bode well for when I'll want to run it with a proper train. Anyone else encountered this on their layouts?

The second is with the tender drawbar,  which is bound to lead to damage to the fragile wires between the two vehicles at the first sign of a derailment or rough handling. I don't understand why instead of being secured by a screw they've used a simple, loose-fitting pin. I can understand this setup on older models that have been updated to improve running quality (Hornby Railroad etc) but on a brand new model retailing at 200-300 quid??

All things considered, I'm happy to support the 828 trust and Rails, but I wasn't expecting to find these sort of issues with a model in this price bracket.

Alan

20211228142455_IMG_2656-01.jpeg

Edited by jivebunny
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Agree on tender drawbar . I’ve bought three Bachmann locos this year , the first for many years . The maroon compound , Caley 812 and LMS Precedent . All have the same tender coupling arrangement . In fact I didn’t realise this on the compound until someone on here pointed it out to me . Far from satisfactory as you can end up pulling a whole train with just two wires !  . I’ve just learned to be careful 

On haulage . I’ve got mine hauling 4 Mainline 57’ coaches without difficulty.  Freight wise she’s been pulling 12  trucks without issue too . I haven’t tried more as yet . 

Finally got a hold of mine on Monday as I requested to have mine sent early as I couldn't wait until after Christmas for it to be shipped out along with the other international orders (Shows how much patience I have Lol) and I'm absolutely in love, which in all honesty is probably not the most professional term to use on here but I am still in my early 20s and can be a bit silly at times.

I agree with those regarding the drawbar connection. My theory is that the "Plug and play" system seen on Bachmann's new V2 (and on Dapol's GWR Mogul, D Class and eventually the Manor) will be implemented on any new tooled tender locos going on from the V2. Maybe it's just wishful thinking from the mind of a younger enthusiast, who knows. Can't see Red Box following the trend however, they're still using 8 pin sockets but that's just my two-cents.

20211227_151305.jpg

20211227_233631.jpg

20211227_234009.jpg

20211227_234309.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Got mine too. The blue (as preserved) is much darker than I thought, and is almost black and matt like in appearance. Not like the pictures above. Must need to be well lit to bring out that shine. Half thinking now I should have got the as-built with the lighter, more familiar Calley Blue.

Anyway, it will only ever be sitting in a display case so overall I'm happy.

22 hours ago, jivebunny said:

… The second is with the tender drawbar,  which is bound to lead to damage to the fragile wires between the two vehicles at the first sign of a derailment or rough handling. I don't understand why instead of being secured by a screw they've used a simple, loose-fitting pin. I can understand this setup on older models that have been updated to improve running quality (Hornby Railroad etc) but on a brand new model retailing at 200-300 quid?? …

Alan

I’ll admit that I’m a fan of this drawbar arrangement when it’s done properly. It’s adjustable, which means that the loco-tender gap can be as close as particular layout curves permit. However, in this case, the securing screw is stuck fast and cannot be tightened, so that the drawbar is sloppy. The nut is in a recess shaped for it and I suspect that it has been glued in place and the screw glued as well, so that it cannot move. I shall have to return it but it sounds from your experience that it’s a common problem. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

Finally got a hold of mine on Monday as I requested to have mine sent early as I couldn't wait until after Christmas for it to be shipped out along with the other international orders (Shows how much patience I have Lol) and I'm absolutely in love, which in all honesty is probably not the most professional term to use on here but I am still in my early 20s and can be a bit silly at times.

I agree with those regarding the drawbar connection. My theory is that the "Plug and play" system seen on Bachmann's new V2 (and on Dapol's GWR Mogul, D Class and eventually the Manor) will be implemented on any new tooled tender locos going on from the V2. Maybe it's just wishful thinking from the mind of a younger enthusiast, who knows. Can't see Red Box following the trend however, they're still using 8 pin sockets but that's just my two-cents.

20211227_151305.jpg

20211227_233631.jpg

20211227_234009.jpg

20211227_234309.jpg

Cracking photos and great to see someone letting their enthusiasm come across - a timely reminder that if this hobby isn’t fun there isn’t really much point pursuing it :)

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

Mine arrived today, All wondeful, but one of the BR black ones was uh, not exactly great in terms of detail assembly. Both whistle and steam pipe weren't properly placed/thread into the cab, and the reversing rod was missing entirely, not even in the box. I've contacted rails, I'd much rather have a spare part sent than send pay to send it back, I'm in the US, lest I have to deal with the burden of shipping costs. Or at least some money bach, cause I can always print a new one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We now have four of these on our household. Beautiful models...but 

One of the BR black ones is totally dead. I can apply current to any pair of wheels and I see firebox glow, but no life whatsoever from the motor. I will ring Rails tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone else had this.

Of the other three, one runs very smoothly, the other two are a little lumpy at a crawl. Is this slight lumpiness normal?

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ikcdab said:

We now have four of these on our household. Beautiful models...but 

One of the BR black ones is totally dead. I can apply current to any pair of wheels and I see firebox glow, but no life whatsoever from the motor. I will ring Rails tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone else had this.

Of the other three, one runs very smoothly, the other two are a little lumpy at a crawl. Is this slight lumpiness normal?

Ian

I would give them all a thorough lubrication i.e. gear train and bearings. There was none on my gear trains for my two.

• RMweb Gold

Could I ask when people who have received their loco actually ordered them? I understand Rails are sending them out in purchase order, and I only ordered mine in 2021. 

I dont want to chase up Rails if its simply a case of them not having got up to date with dispatch. 

I have both Caledonian versions and I'm very impressed with them. As a pre-grouping modeler I know the time and effort it takes to paint an engine in period colours so for me it was a real treat to be able to take these out of the boxes and place them straight on the layout. Some people have been complaining about the price of these but I would consider £200 to be a pretty decent price for models of such high quality. Hopefully we'll see more Scottish pre-grouping models appear in the future (hint, hint!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwAwii5YyY

Ross

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Could I ask when people who have received their loco actually ordered them? I understand Rails are sending them out in purchase order, and I only ordered mine in 2021. 

I dont want to chase up Rails if its simply a case of them not having got up to date with dispatch. 

I ordered my as built blue sound version on 18th. August, 2021, and received it on 22nd. December.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I ordered my as built blue sound version on 18th. August, 2021, and received it on 22nd. December.

I ordered BR Black Sound one in April and the preserved Blue Sound one in October. Might be worth dropping them an email then, thanks.

1 minute ago, JohnR said:

I ordered BR Black Sound one in April and the preserved Blue Sound one in October. Might be worth dropping them an email then, thanks.

You’re welcome. I hope you have better luck with yours. With mine, the adjustable drawbar screw is stuck, so that I can’t tighten it. Glue in the nut, I suspect.

Well, I originally ordered fairly quick after they announced, changed to a sound equipped in August, and it was charged today on the 31st, not sure the shipping in order of receipt applies for internationals since we were delayed for the uk Christmas rush. That said, I am excited for what will likely be my first new arrival of 2022 despite the garbage international mail can be still these days, and the delays from Canadian Border Services deciding if they are going to tax it or not!

Cheers,

Stephen

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 31/12/2021 at 15:53, JohnR said:

I ordered mine back in February 2018, it is still in the pre-order list on "my account" on the rails website. No sign of it having been sent despite updating my payment details just before Christmas.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Matabiau said:

I ordered mine back in February 2018, it is still in the pre-order list on "my account" on the rails website. No sign of it having been sent despite updating my payment details just before Christmas.

It appears that orders for outwith the UK are being processed last as they would not have arrived by Christmas. By prioritising UK orders, most UK buyers received theirs before Christmas.

I’m sure yours will be dispatched very soon, they really are worth all the years of waiting.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, turbos said:

It appears that orders for outwith the UK are being processed last as they would not have arrived by Christmas. By prioritising UK orders, most UK buyers received theirs before Christmas.

I’m sure yours will be dispatched very soon, they really are worth all the years of waiting.

Brian.

Unless Nicola has held another referendum without me noticing, I am not yet outside the UK. 

I sent them an email, but obviously not expecting a reply before Tuesday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/12/2021 at 12:26, Scottish-Exile said:

Got mine too. The blue (as preserved) is much darker than I thought, and is almost black and matt like in appearance. Not like the pictures above. Must need to be well lit to bring out that shine. Half thinking now I should have got the as-built with the lighter, more familiar Calley Blue.

Don’t understand that . Even with my dodgy lighting she is most definitely a gorgeous shade of blue. Got the lighter blue one coming as a birthday present, but for the moment she is the star of the show

BB65099D-778A-4BD8-819E-84D12BB58B39.jpeg

12E42981-EDDE-44D6-A79F-59E19F2B5FFF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 29/12/2021 at 12:26, Scottish-Exile said:

Jonathan AG posted earlier in this thread a picture of the Bachmann/Rails ‘as currently preserved’ 828 next to a lamp painted from the same tin of paint that the actual 828 was painted with. 
It’s blue, it’s the correct shade of blue.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think the early BR variant must still be clearing customs as mine is shown 'to follow'.

A friend of mine has already rectified the tender coping on his and it looks very well as a result.

I'm encouraged by this and will tackle my own shortly.

Davy.

• Friendly/supportive 1