RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

On 04/01/2022 at 12:27, Mad McCann said:

I think the early BR variant must still be clearing customs as mine is shown 'to follow'.

A friend of mine has already rectified the tender coping on his and it looks very well as a result.

I'm encouraged by this and will tackle my own shortly.

Davy.

Davy.

Yeah, no movement on the early variant for me either, not even shown to follow. But no customs for me!

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a reply back from Heather at Rails. They are still awaiting delivery of the weathered black one, but are hoping to get it within the next couple of weeks. My blue one is waiting for it to turn up so they can be posted together.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 11/12/2021 at 22:37, E100 said:
On 11/12/2021 at 10:54, Battledown said:

I may commission some etched brass cab-side number plates - the printed ones are accurate but don't look right because they are flush.

If you do decide to go ahead with this please do let me know as I (and I'm sure others) would also like some so could go to the same supplier. I'm not necessarily suggesting a discount per say as obviously it'd get very complicated no doubt.

I have just spoken to Brian Mosby of 247 developments and he will add No 828 to his next batch. Just email him on orders.247developments@btinternet.com. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2021 at 17:15, E100 said:

Just was running in my preserved example and there was a noise from somewhere inside the model. Had a look at the gear train from taking the baseplate off and... ...zero lubrication.

Mine was also rather noisy, so I thought I would have a go at injecting some oil onto the gears.    To remove the baseplate the delicate brake rodding attachment had to come off first and it broke.    Then as soon as the baseplate came off, the two little wires came away from their soldered attachment to one end.   Then the driving wheels became unseated and it took some considerable time to get them lined up again with the little brass hornguides correctly fitted back in their slots.  One of the little screws which retains the baseplate went awol.  Knowing that the baseplate is essential to retaining the driving wheels I wasn't going to risk resoldering the wires, which feed current from the tender pick ups.  My soldering iron is a fairly large general purpose one and not a miniature which would be more suitable for model purposes and besides my hands are no longer as steady nor is my eyesight so good, so there was too big a risk of accidentally melting part of the baseplate.   The loco is all back together now, and running,  no better nor worse than before but now only picks up current from the driving wheels.   Once the covid situation eases, maybe I'll ask someone in the club if they can resolder the wires, but I'm not sure which wire should go to which side.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 7

T’was on the Monday morning, the gas man came to call … 

(Sorry. I’ve had sequences of events like that. Hope you can get it fixed soon.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2022 at 22:32, cessna152towser said:

The loco is all back together now, and running,  no better nor worse than before

I opened up the baseplate again this morning and gave the gears and drive axles a clean up with track magic.   I wasn't going to risk attempting to solder up the connections for the tender pick ups, just get the baseplate screwed back on quickly before any of the driving axle hornguides take the opportunity to unseat themselves again.   Now 57566 is at last running as smoothly and quietly as my Hornby J36.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

I opened up the baseplate again this morning and gave the gears and drive axles a clean up with track magic.   I wasn't going to risk attempting to solder up the connections for the tender pick ups, just get the baseplate screwed back on quickly before any of the driving axle hornguides take the opportunity to unseat themselves again.   Now 57566 is at last running as smoothly and quietly as my Hornby J36.  

I haven't had the baseplate off one of these, but I have changed the 2pin plug and socket for a 4pin one to put a better speaker in the tender, and the wiring is connected to a PCB, not the baseplate, so I presume you are only getting power from the tender. As an aside, the new Precedent doesn't have connections soldered to the baseplate, they just touch contact, for ease of changing the wheelsets.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, daltonparva said:

the wiring is connected to a PCB, not the baseplate, so I presume you are only getting power from the tender.

I had not noticed this until you mentioned it, thanks for drawing it to my attention.   I tested the loco again and yes, current collection is only via the wheels of the tender.    The two little wires barely protrude from the chassis while the solder tags on the baseplate are on its inner side.    The baseplate would need to be held very close to the chassis and even for an experienced solderer it would be extremely difficult to solder within the very narrow gap.  I am assuming the wires would have been soldered to the baseplate before assembly and then the wires fed through the chassis to the PCB, another delicate part which would call for skilful soldering.    Having finally eliminated the surging and noisy running, the loco runs much smoother and quieter but with the sacrifice of pick up on all wheels, so it isn't too happy to crawl through dead frog points at very slow speeds.  

• RMweb Gold

I collected my sound fitted Caley Jumbo in BR black livery  today and put it on my rolling road. The Sound is working, but the loco is not running. I tested it with my two DCC command stations (an Uhlenbrock Daisy and an Uhlenbrock Intellibox Basic) and I tested it with a DC powerpack, everytime the sound worked but the loco didn't move.

Now I had contacted Rails. 

I have to say that I'm not very happy with these. 

Markus

• RMweb Gold

Today I tried it again, and now it runs. I haven't changed anything on my Intellibox. I only tried to read CV 29, and tried to adjust it to DCC only. But at last I programmed CV29 to the value it was delivered with, and now it runs without any problems.

Markus

finally my as-built 828 has been dispatched but has been sitting at HWDC for a few days.   we waited 4 years for this so (potentially) a couple weeks more surely won't kill me.

any USA customers have experience ordering with Rails? this is my first time

First attempt at charging the card always seems to bounce.    Even if every other transaction is through Paypal, they always trying charging the card directly on pre-orders.   Otherwise, just the usual delays inherent in international shipping right now.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I found that the wheels on my weathered Early Crest model did need a bit of cleaning before it ran smoothly. But once done, it runs beautifully and is a very nice looking locomotive. It's interesting to see that the firebox flicker is far brighter than the Gresley V2 - where you'd need to be sitting in a darkened room with a magnifying glass to see any kind of glow.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, curlypaws said:

I found that the wheels on my weathered Early Crest model did need a bit of cleaning before it ran smoothly. But once done, it runs beautifully and is a very nice looking locomotive. It's interesting to see that the firebox flicker is far brighter than the Gresley V2 - where you'd need to be sitting in a darkened room with a magnifying glass to see any kind of glow.

Probably because the firebox doors on the V2 can be opened and they are closed out of the box :)

• RMweb Gold

Well I have just had a email saying Rails have taken payment for something. £187 ish so I’m guessing it’s a loco. But it’s that long ago I had totally forgotten about it. I remember thinking about ordering one but no idea which though. So it will be a surprise I suppose. 

• Like 2