RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Doubt it given the extent of faulty models generally people get from them, Derails do and insert an inspection note in the box. The practice seemed to drop significantly generally thanks to;

a) Dapol using grease that when rock solid on its N 14xx meaning they could not be test run without first being correctly oiled, and 

b) increasingly fragile models at the potential of having something broken simply unpacking them or breathing near by (Hornby)

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Does Rails inspect its products before sending them out?

When I bought models from Hobbytime of West Wickham in the 1970s the manager always used to run locomotives on his test track before selling them to make sure there were no faults.

I just got a loco from Rails & there was a sticker attached "TESTED MM" so somebody had a go.

Maybe it was because the order was for outside the UK ?

• Informative/Useful 1

My two 'as built's' arrived at my local Post Office in Sydney yesterday, and were collected today.

In my view Rails of Sheffield deserve sincere appreciation  for the manner and quality of their packaging, which could not possibly be improved upon.

Present circumstances dictate my models will need to remain in their unopened boxes for a little while, but I have no concern whatsoever for the integrity of the goods supplied.

It's been a fairly long wait since ordering at the first opportunity, so waiting a little longer before opening isn't too hard, particularly when I can see the excellent quality of my new locomotives.

Best regards to all at RMWeb.

Charles

• Like 3

On 19/01/2022 at 05:35, amdaley said:

I just got a loco from Rails & there was a sticker attached "TESTED MM" so somebody had a go.

Maybe it was because the order was for outside the UK ?

Quite possibly. I had the same when I opened mine in Canada today after picking it up from the post office. Haven’t had a chance to put it on the test track, or even pull out the ugly coupler at the front, but had to get it out and at least take a quick couple of pictures!

EDIT: Wrote a quick blog post with a couple of brief testing videos. Will need to run in properly over the weekend before figuring out which display case she is going in. Early returns are I am very happy!

https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/2022/01/21/something-blue-and-beautiful-and-completely-not-for-the-layout/

Cheers,

Stephen

67935A82-FDAD-4AD9-A862-20E23F800201.jpeg

7BF1D273-1926-4798-94FA-81C31549A0A6.jpeg

Edited by sjgardiner
Addition to Post
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, sjgardiner said:

EDIT: Wrote a quick blog post with a couple of brief testing videos. Will need to run in properly over the weekend before figuring out which display case she is going in. Early returns are I am very happy!

https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/2022/01/21/something-blue-and-beautiful-and-completely-not-for-the-layout/

I love that photo of 828 at the SVR with the blurred background. Absolutely stunning!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, docting said:

Just arrived- a weathered 828. But while the sounds are all there the loco won't move. Cvs  are adjustable but I don't have read back at present.  I did a factory reset but to no avail. 

Any simple fixes or is this a return job!

Return it I’d say. Could be something simple, could be something major. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Got my two DCC sound on wednesday. 

As built and late BR - looks, sounds and run great! 

Run in went well on a rolling road. Currently working hard on getting my layout lines up and running so I can get max appreciation out of them. 

Packaging was very good to Norway :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

Been a long time since I posted here last. Christmas got me busy in real life. 

Now things has happened though.

DSC_0646.JPG.61f7097801d8028b152e30ff9f841063.JPG

DSC_0647.JPG.2d259142f664cb7f8280e8b1a4d02efd.JPG

Two new locomotives has arrived - sound fitted Caledonian Railways 812 in as built and BR late. 

Also I finally managed to make my decision on the viaduct and slope to the branch line. 

DSC_0648.JPG.c4b856b363909ad096919c2d141e360e.JPG

DSC_0649.JPG.47e5fb76a924f0fe793ac325fe185efc.JPG

Also gotten to try the rail aligners from Model Tech.

DSC_0650.JPG.672acb87d1fe5e656f46a650312c6821.JPG

Added some photos to my layout - thought I might just add a link here too :) 

• Like 1

Received my as-built yesterday morning, and boy how great it was to finally open that box.
Packaging was stellar, huge plus to Rails for taking such care with these orders.
Can't wait to see what's next for Caledonian locos and stock!

caley828(1).jpg.4ceb1c813a2c3b67da2644c33159ca5e.jpg

caley828(2).jpg

caley828(3).jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ndeluck said:

Received my as-built yesterday morning, and boy how great it was to finally open that box.
Packaging was stellar, huge plus to Rails for taking such care with these orders.
Can't wait to see what's next for Caledonian locos and stock!

caley828(1).jpg.4ceb1c813a2c3b67da2644c33159ca5e.jpg

caley828(2).jpg

caley828(3).jpg

Indeed, I need some nice coaches for my 812s now :D 

Hi All - Rails have got me completely confused.  I Just had my Pay-Pal alert that a payment of £153.95 to Rails had been taken from my account, yet on the website nothing has changed - except the price due which is now showing as £179.95!  When is the website normally updated to show that the order has been fulfilled.  No emails from them either.

Jim 

10 hours ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

Indeed, I need some nice coaches for my 812s now :D 

I got very lucky on that colorful auction site and acquired a couple Tri-ang Hornby Caledonian coaches- in very good shape (and a very bargain price). If I'm not mistaken I know they're not exactly prototypical, but I'm only very recently investing into the hobby and anything close to appropriate is more than fine with me. 

Suppose I need to try my hand at kit-building!

• Like 5

On 24/01/2022 at 16:05, ndeluck said:

I got very lucky on that colorful auction site and acquired a couple Tri-ang Hornby Caledonian coaches- in very good shape (and a very bargain price). If I'm not mistaken I know they're not exactly prototypical, but I'm only very recently investing into the hobby and anything close to appropriate is more than fine with me. 

Suppose I need to try my hand at kit-building!

One of  the Hornby Caledonian coach I have been working on.

Caley Coach-1.JPG

Caley Coach-2.JPG

Caley Coach-3.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

50 minutes ago, andytrains said:

One of  the Hornby Caledonian coach I have been working on.

Caley Coach-1.JPG

Caley Coach-2.JPG

Caley Coach-3.JPG

The Triang Hornby underframe is a good strong piece of plastic to rebuild a coach with. 
What is your plan for the bogies? I used the Dapol/Hornby LMS 12 wheel diner bogies when I did one of these Grampian coaches.

The best source of information on these coaches (and all other CR carriages) is in the Caledonian Railway Carriages book by Mike Williams, available from the Caledonian Railway Association .

https://www.crassoc.org.uk/web/node/93

Brian.

ADC6FDC6-A801-47D2-911D-690DFBFA4687.jpeg

• Like 6

I've had my "weathered" 57565 for a couple of weeks now and have been getting round to the usual "improvements" that are required on rtr models.

First, it is a very nice model. I can live with the heavy cab but I don't know that I can leave the tender sides as they are. I feel I need to to take the inside edge off a bit as my eye is drawn to it all the time - this to me is the most disappointing feature.

My loco runs well (analogue) but is a bit of a sprinter although it still runs well at slow speeds. I feel it should have been geared down a bit. The loco also runs well (analogue) when not electrically attached to the tender. Cosmetically the "weathering" is not really weathering, just a bit of dull finish leaving the front end pretty much pristine and the handrails seem to be the non-weathered ones fitted after the "weathering". Not that important as I'll still be weathering the weathering!

The couplings protrude far more than necessary particularly the front one which looks absolutely grotesque. These will anyway be removed with wire loops substituted. I've fitted the heavy coal load inside the tender to give it weight (and lower down) to make way for adding real coal. I'm wondering why there is a large gap from the tender coal area into what would be the water tank (under the toolbox shelf) revealed after removing the cast coal load. I have "plated" that over in readiness for adding real coal.

The pipework in the parts pack is fairly fiddly to fit (particularly the steam heat). On the tender rear, the pipework is a secure push fit (important if  accessing inside the tender in future) but for better cosmetics I glued the ends of the pipework to the pipes running from the loco but I did not glue the bottom of the vac upstand to the horizontal pipework. I could not however avoid glueing the steam heat bag to the tender which could compromise future access.

At the front of the loco the vac and steam pipes require to cross and that frankly does not work in allowing the pipework to marry up. I've done the vac pipework correctly but will need to do some surgery on the steam heat bag and pipework after I've fitted a wire loop coupling the front.

Hope this experience is of help to others.

IMG_0705.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

Edited by 60159
mis-spellings
  • Like 5

The panelling on the Tri-ang Caley coaches matches the Grampian 12 wheelers too well for it to be a fluke (the waist panel is a bit shallow) and if you can get the more recent Hornby ones the paintwork is top drawer.

The six wheeled bogies were Fox plate bogies, easy enough to knock up from some Comet 6 wheel units but you'll need some springs and axleboxes. Caley Coaches do brass ones (I think) but the Comet whitemetal ones are a reasonable compromise. The Tri-ang coaches are slightly short so the shorter GWR 6 wheel bogie frames may look better than the 'correct' LMS ones. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Informative/Useful 1