RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful loco . Always though a Caley one would do well . Got a blue one on order. As far as black is concerned I may have been in market for both LMS and BR versions , but I’m sorry it’s overpriced . I’ve gone for an extra J36 instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Though I didn't opt to order a caley 812, I had been thinking about it, the price put me off, and I opted to go for the BR liveried j36, more in keeping with an LNER layout anyway, even if a good hundred plus miles away from NBR territory haha.

Cheers. Paul

Don't forget that they were not confined to Scotland, During World War 2 two were allocated to Malton for working pick-up goods duties to Driffield, Kirbymoorside, Thirsk, and Whitby. Another three were hauling local goods traffic in the Newcastle area from Borough Gardens shed

Jim

Don't forget that they were not confined to Scotland, During World War 2 two were allocated to Malton for working pick-up goods duties to Driffield, Kirbymoorside, Thirsk, and Whitby. Another three were hauling local goods traffic in the Newcastle area from Borough Gardens shed

Jim

Hi Jim,

Couldn't possibly forget that haha, I didnt know in the first place.

Actually that is very useful info thanks as I am modelling a section of a certain railway which currently plies heritage locomotives between pickering and whitby....

Thanks.

Paul

• Like 1

Jim

The J36's worked into Newcastle as well and were also at Borough Gardens etc.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.php

• 2 months later...

Cancelled mine, with the demise of my layout and uncertain plans for anything in the future I could not justify the expenditure just to leave it lying in a box, I noted that Rails were heavily discounting the J36 at the Glasgow show, so I am going to sit back and lets see how things develop

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I couldn't do it anymore, I gave in, I couldn't face the hatred!

I've swapped my two blue versions for 2 black versions as the prospect of painting over those lovely lined out frames, wheels, running plates etc. with black made me queasy! 

I figured that repainting the black ones into my simplified blue livery would be less likely to get me strung up from the nearest semaphore gantry...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

I've swapped my two blue versions for 2 black versions as the prospect of painting over those lovely lined out frames, wheels, running plates etc. with black made me queasy! 

I figured that repainting the black ones into my simplified blue livery would be less likely to get me strung up from the nearest semaphore gantry...

But surely desecrating 'my preciousss' just adds to the fun? Back in the heady days of ur-RMweb I described the process of looting useful parts from and then discarding* the body of St Pannier; having bought the model solely for the mechanism to repower a whitemetal kit of a vastly more desirable subject. This was an offence against public decency in some eyes, which comments I heartily enjoyed.

*I am wiser now, and sell the bodies. At the time I didn't appreciate that many people cannot bear to undertake for themselves the sundering of the holy union betwixt body and mechanism; but are prepared to pay richly for someone to do it for them, out of sight, in a far off location from which the screams of pain cannot be heard.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Corbs said:

Yes but look on the brightside , you've just saved £40 on swapping two blue ones for black ones .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But surely desecrating 'my preciousss' just adds to the fun? Back in the heady days of ur-RMweb I described the process of looting useful parts from and then discarding* the body of St Pannier; having bought the model solely for the mechanism to repower a whitemetal kit of a vastly more desirable subject. This was an offence against public decency in some eyes, which comments I heartily enjoyed.

*I am wiser now, and sell the bodies. At the time I didn't appreciate that many people cannot bear to undertake for themselves the sundering of the holy union betwixt body and mechanism; but are prepared to pay richly for someone to do it for them, out of sight, in a far off location from which the screams of pain cannot be heard.

I've done the opposite before now. Only wanted the body and ditched the chassis. Mostly things like knackered Mainline, Airfix, Bachmann, etc.

Last one was a Hornby GNR 0-6-0ST which will be getting a Mainly Trains chassis. The bodies seem to be going for daft money on eBay, yet a working model goes for about £20.

I won't be wrecking brand new £180 models anytime soon though....

Jason

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, twoscoops said:

Any signs of some production shots?  Bachmann must have started the process by now.

Only just . The last Bachmann Times says the Caley 812 is  in the drawing office  ,which is the second stage in an 8 stage process .  It has to go through Tooling Room, Engineering samples, livery Artwork , livery samples, production to delivery . So not anytime soon! 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 28/06/2019 at 08:34, Legend said:

Only just . The last Bachmann Times says the Caley 812 is  in the drawing office  ,which is the second stage in an 8 stage process .  It has to go through Tooling Room, Engineering samples, livery Artwork , livery samples, production to delivery . So not anytime soon! 

I'm strangely OK with that the later the better for my budget at the moment!! After all, its better to take the time and get it right rather than rush!

Stephen

On 28/06/2019 at 08:34, Legend said:

I may just get my kit finished first ;)

Cheers,

David

4 hours ago, sjgardiner said:

I'm strangely OK with that the later the better for my budget at the moment!! After all, its better to take the time and get it right rather than rush!

I agree...as long as the taking the time is invested in getting it right!

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have ordered the preserved loco from Rails but despite contacting them I can’t get an answer if they plan to produce a sound version does anyone know if ones in the pipeline?

On 28/06/2019 at 13:34, Legend said:

Whereabouts on the Bachmann site is this info? I'm keen to look up another model. Is it https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/availability/ ?