RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

I've just joined the Rule 1 club. My argument being that the 'as preserved' is clearly as it runs today, therefore it IS a modern image loco that will fit right in with my Class 66's, 67's and 68's et al :)

It could be regularly be seen at Aviemore with any kind of modern scottish traction in the Scotrail platforms and the Jumbo sitting in the bay with a few Mk1s in maroon. It's the perfect partner to Bachmann's new class 170 in Scotrail!

Edited by shunny

Creeping northward with pre-grouping prototypes. Perhaps we will see some Jones Highland locomotives before I expire or Scotland secceeds...

I have a weak spot for the old Scottish lines even though I have not the slightest connection to the far north other than a great uncle who was in the RN  and based at Scapa Flow before going down at Jutland with his destroyer.

One day I'll be able to begin a collection of prototypes for a pre-grouping Wick or Thurso terminal layout. I will probably never get it built, but it will be a little warping to see them on my current Padstow plank.

Edited by autocoach

When I first saw the news on Bachmann's website, I was ecstatic! This would be my chance to make my own authentically-detailed RWS Donald & Douglas models! Just a simple repaint, make a face and stick it on the smokebox door, apply some custom-made decals  and there you go!

• Like 3

Creeping northward with pre-grouping prototypes. Perhaps we will see some Jones Highland locomotives before I expire or Scotland secceeds...

I have a weak spot for the old Scottish lines even though I have not the slightest connection to the far north other than a great uncle who was in the RN  and based at Scapa Flow before going down at Jutland with his destroyer.

One day I'll be able to begin a collection of prototypes for a pre-grouping Wick or Thurso terminal layout. I will probably never get it built, but it will be a little warping to see them on my current Padstow plank.

Building the layout will be easy enough. Populating it will probably involve a vampires lifetime, unfortunately.... Still, we can dream, as I have been doing for almost fifty years now, settling instead for the tail end of steam there, which is achievable for those not blessed with an ability to turn the likes of Jidenco into passable runners :senile:

• Like 1

I'll be having a LMS one 'cos under rule 1 if it says LMS on it then it got sent all the way down to my somewhere Derby-ish shed for repairs and running in. Locos got sent from all over the country to my shed for these purposes 'cos I said they did; and sod off to anyone who wants to argue.

Yes, the LMS black one is right on the money for me period-wise, but a bit less so geographically, so looks like I'll be doing some serious application of Rule 1 to justify one on the NW Leicestershire-based layout I'm planning. What do you reckon, drafted south of the border in response to a sudden and inexplicable shortage of Midland 0-6-0s?

The microlayout/shunting plank I'm looking at as a side project might take a bit of a leap northwards though- Somewhere in the Carlisle area might do the trick...? That Caley blue version looks awfully tempting....

Without digging through the bookshelves (and the LMS in Scotland is a weak area in my collection), I'm guessing these would have made it down to Carlisle, but did they get any further south at any point?

• Like 3

Yes, the LMS black one is right on the money for me period-wise, but a bit less so geographically, so looks like I'll be doing some serious application of Rule 1 to justify one on the NW Leicestershire-based layout I'm planning. What do you reckon, drafted south of the border in response to a sudden and inexplicable shortage of Midland 0-6-0s?

The microlayout/shunting plank I'm looking at as a side project might take a bit of a leap northwards though- Somewhere in the Carlisle area might do the trick...? That Caley blue version looks awfully tempting....

Without digging through the bookshelves (and the LMS in Scotland is a weak area in my collection), I'm guessing these would have made it down to Carlisle, but did they get any further south at any point?

Silloth??

Jim

• Like 1

Not Silloth, that’s yer actual NB territory but they were used on trip workings all across the city. They only departed Kingmoor in 1959-60 after the regional boundary moved from Etterby to Gretna in 1958.

Minor point of order for those unfamiliar with Caley power, chaps; an 812 and a Jumbo are not the same thing. :-)

D4

• Like 2

Minor point of order for those unfamiliar with Caley power, chaps; an 812 and a Jumbo are not the same thing. :-)

D4

A point that leads me to think that this model is a case of style over substance and clearly aimed at the collectors market.

A Standard goods aka a Jumbo would be a much better choice for modellers.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

A point that leads me to think that this model is a case of style over substance and clearly aimed at the collectors market.

Bernard

I'm sure the reason for an 812 is there is one in preservation and people can be wowed by the livery on the real thing  as I'm sure we will be on the model.

The jumbos were more numerous and probably would make more sense to the modeller, but for the collector and gen market, it has to be the 812. Gorgeous loco. My only surprise is that after the SE&CR established people from all over the country go for pretty liveries , despite geography, that this has taken so long to appear .

Edited by Legend

Bernard

But the Jumbo would be much harder to LIDAR scan.

We have something in common !!  My Great Uncle went to his grave on the "Invincible" in the same battle.

We have something in common !!  My Great Uncle went to his grave on the "Invincible" in the same battle.

Going OT, she was shooting pretty well that day, giving as good as she got against the larger Lutzow which sank at the end of the battle. She was Rear Admiral Horace Hood's flagship,  following the battle, the famous HMS Hood which was sunk by the Bismarck 25 years later, was named after his 18th century ancestor Admiral Samuel Hood. Two factors contributed to Invincible's doom. Leaving open the flash doors to increase rate of fire, and the cordite used as propellant. US and German navies used a different propellant, they suffered major fires but no ships blew up in both wars, I never understood why the RN did not adopt the same post WWI (for new ships at least - US/German powder did take up more space). One could also say lack of armour, but the distances were so close at this point, that the opposing ships were all vulnerable to the others weapons. A forth weakness of Invincible was having two main gun turrets in the middle of the ship (the most likely place to be hit).

During WWI, there would have been coal trains from Wales for these ships as well as ammo trains that would make an interesting subject for the CR version of the model. And maybe the odd oil train for the recently built oil burning ships (Queen Elizabeth class battleships). 

Are Jumbos and Barneys more similar?

The HR Barney was a smaller boilered engine and less chunky than the CR locos, and TBH, not really a commercial goer. The Jumbo's, which covers  a selection of CR variants, were more numerous than the 812's, but the modellers advantage of the 812 was its longevity and widespread coverage. Of course, if Rule 1 is applied, that can be negated in favour of the Jumbos, but the survival of 828 makes the production of a model that bit easier. Plus, it didn't carry that monstrosity of a stovepipe chimney :no:

Bernard

The Caley 812 (and the J36, not forgetting the Scottish Directors) are really good start to modelling Scottish Railways in a number of eras. To get two new locos in two months is probably beyond most of our wildest dreams on Jan 1st this year. The important thing is to get out in droves and buy these models, then hopefully it will encourage the manufacturers to dig deeper into the bag: a NBR Glen, a Caley 439 0-4-4T, a CR Jumbo, perhaps even an HR Jones Goods and a Ben plus rolling stock to go with them! The genie is out of the bottle of Scottish prototypes. Let’s hope it stays out!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Caley 812 (and the J36, not forgetting the Scottish Directors) are really good start to modelling Scottish Railways in a number of eras. To get two new locos in two months is probably beyond most of our wildest dreams on Jan 1st this year. The important thing is to get out in droves and buy these models, then hopefully it will encourage the manufacturers to dig deeper into the bag: a NBR Glen, a Caley 439 0-4-4T, a CR Jumbo, perhaps even an HR Jones Goods and a Ben plus rolling stock to go with them! The genie is out of the bottle of Scottish prototypes. Let’s hope it stays out!

From all accounts at the Glasgow Show at the weekend the uptake for both locos has been a great success. As you write, the more purchases the better for future Scottish models. 

The Caley 439  tank and the Pickersgill 4-4-0 plus on the N.B.R. side, the D34 Glen and the D30 Scott, would be commercial successes as all these classes lasted up to 1961 and worked over a wide geographical area on a variety of workings. Both Hornby and Bachmann find that the best sellers are those classes which worked throughout the  B.R. days so these four fit the bill in commercial terms. The Glen and Scott would be most profitable releases as  most of the differences between them were internal. The larger driving wheels for the D30 Scott require bigger splashers for the leading drivers and a bigger splasher for the rear drivers on the lower part of the cab sides and spectacle plate. Therefore two loco classes for the tooling costs of one, with only the extra cost of the aforementioned for the other. Add into that the wonderful names which alone sells locos plus repeat purchases of second and subsequent production runs with other names would give an excellent commercial return. 

The more purchases for the J36 and the 828 the better, as we have been told for decades that "Scottish locos will not sell"!

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 2

Silloth??

Jim

Not Silloth, that’s yer actual NB territory but they were used on trip workings all across the city.

Possibly Brayton, the Caledonian's junction with the Maryport and Carlisle. It would depend on whether or not they were allowed over the Solway viaduct.

I think the Solway Viaduct weight restrictions would ultimately be the decider there, Pete. The SJR seems to have been operated by two or three bespoke 0-6-0s although latterly 439s or lightweight equivalents could be seen too.

D4

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure the reason for an 812 is there is one in preservation and people can be wowed by the livery on the real thing as I'm sure we will be on the model.

The jumbos were more numerous and probably would make more sense to the modeller, but for the collector and gen market, it has to be the 812. Gorgeous loco. My only surprise is that after the SE&CR established people from all over the country go for pretty liveries , despite geography, that this has taken so long to appear .

There’s a secret Thomas the tank engine fan in all of us.

So next up after the Caley.. the port of par twins ?

Edited by adb968008

A not entirely serious question - did 812s ever make it to Whithorn? That appears to be the furthest south point on a railway in which the Caledonian had an interest.

I’ve only ever seen Jumbos on that section, Pete. Again, I think axle loading limits are the key.

Not to say a special movement in wartime didn’t bring one and there was reportedly a Jubilee made its way there on a troop special in ‘43!

I’ve no evidence that 812s were based in these parts in BR days though, the nearest suitable base being Dumfries which has plenty other work for them. Other than those that ended up on the Highland/Great North sections, the 812s seemed to prefer to gather round coalfields and steel mills.

D4.

There’s a secret Thomas the tank engine fan in all of us.

So next up after the Caley.. the port of par twins ?

You might well be on to something. I was quite miffed when Kernow used one to lay a false trail and then announced something much less desireable. With the current taste for small, colourful and desirable and with a Thomas connection, someone might just indulge us. It might be tricky, though, getting everything to fit into such a small package.