RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann have ensured us that the Caledonian 812 project is being fast tracked and that the 18 month turnaround is still an accurate timescale. 

Interesting. I've often wondered if Bachmann, who seem to be the main company doing Retailer commissions, pushed their own items further down the schedule when they take on commission work. I suppose for them, better to work on a paid for commission than spend their own capital up front on developing their own range.

In this instance, I'm not too bothered as I'm looking forward to getting the preserved 812.

However, I'm more keen to get my hands on their retooled Class 158, DBSO and Class 90's which every time I log on, seem to have an ever later release date.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of these locos were still active in Ayrshire in the early 1960s so I have duly preordered a BR version. It's really good to see locos on my wish list being produced,e.g. the Barclay pugs and now this one. Next one on my wish list is a British Railways Standard Class 3 2-6-0 which was also to be found in Ayrshire in the 1960s. Over to the model manufacturers, who's up for producing this one?

• 3 months later...

Anything in the way of news on this project? Have been drinking a bit of Scotch lately and the malt must be getting in my blood. After modeling Padstow I am thinking of the opposite end of the UK at Wick or Thursoe.

• 1 month later...

Anything in the way of news on this project? Have been drinking a bit of Scotch lately and the malt must be getting in my blood. After modeling Padstow I am thinking of the opposite end of the UK at Wick or Thursoe.

The Far North Lines to Wick & Thurso were  Highland Railway lines, not Caley.

Richard.

Yes they were Highland Railway, however after the Grouping Ex Caledonian Railway locomotives arrived in some numbers on the ex Highland lines as the older Highland classes were withdrawn and the LMS attempted a degree of standardisation. EX HR and particularly ex G&SWR locomotive classes were hard hit. The Peter Drummond  designed HR locos were in some cases rebuilt with CR style boilers.

The Class 812 locos could be seen on the Farther North line into the late 1950's; One on my Flickr site 57585 at Wick with another ex Caledonian Pickersgill 4-4-0 behind it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/38659258784/in/album-72157691625089715/

Ernie

• RMweb Premium

No word on when due though.  Suspect we are only at the beginning of its gestation period having been announced in Feb 2018.  Was 18 months from there , but I think that was only a fairly glib estimation . id say 2020 , but who knows.........................

Yes they were Highland Railway, however after the Grouping Ex Caledonian Railway locomotives arrived in some numbers on the ex Highland lines as the older Highland classes were withdrawn and the LMS attempted a degree of standardisation. EX HR and particularly ex G&SWR locomotive classes were hard hit. The Peter Drummond  designed HR locos were in some cases rebuilt with CR style boilers.

The Class 812 locos could be seen on the Farther North line into the late 1950's; One on my Flickr site 57585 at Wick with another ex Caledonian Pickersgill 4-4-0 behind it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/38659258784/in/album-72157691625089715/

Ernie

Thank You for that Ernie, I haven't got access to my books at the moment, so have become somewhat out-of-touch recently.

Richard.

Come on, guys. It was announced little more than seven months ago on a timescale estimated at eighteen months; that was made pretty clear to me. As a man required by circumstances to budget for his pre-orders by shoving a pound coin a day into a tin, I'm prepared to wait a while for this wonderful project to bear fruit.

Davy.

Hi,

The project has continued to make progress. We have been waiting for Bachmann to complete the design process which they have now almost done.

We are currently still negotiating the price and hope to have this confirmed very soon.

The project is on track however there has been a short delay due to the fact that Kader have commissioned new factories in China. 

The new expected date is 2020.

We are as eager as most to get the product and we will update with the latest news as soon as we have it.

Thanks 

Oliver

Hi,

The project has continued to make progress. We have been waiting for Bachmann to complete the design process which they have now almost done.

We are currently still negotiating the price and hope to have this confirmed very soon.

The project is on track however there has been a short delay due to the fact that Kader have commissioned new factories in China.

We are as eager as most to get the product and we will update with the latest news as soon as we have it.

Thanks

Oliver

All good news. I am both a fan of pushing this pre order out to ease my 2019 budget and for it to be gotten right!

Looking forward to seeing eventual design work/test shots as project progresses!

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks 

Oliver

Thanks for the update Oliver! Looking forward to it - please do post any photos of the design, prototype etc etc when you get them, I'm sure we'd all love to see.

David

What year does the blue shade change to the lighter version that 419 is wearing? I also prefer the darker version.

Reading the 'Caledonian Railway Livery' book, research has shown that the lighter blue livery was introduced in the late 1890's by McIntosh for select locomotives (with different lining style however), but the light shade with the usual Caley lining began to spread it's way through the fleet from this point right up until LMS ownership.

Its all very well banging on about the shade of blue, but when you see 828 in the flesh she is a lot lighter blue on a sunny day than an overcast one.  She also shines, no semi matt finish.  No tow photos give the same colour.

• RMweb Premium

Its all very well banging on about the shade of blue, but when you see 828 in the flesh she is a lot lighter blue on a sunny day than an overcast one.  She also shines, no semi matt finish.  No tow photos give the same colour.

She’s still gorgeous!

Yes a great day at Bo'ness yesterday, the two blue uns looked superb and the difference between the arguably correct blues was quite marked and in the sunshine the blues changed again.

post-10324-0-72652500-1541425012_thumb.jpg

We hung around till dark and caught this atmospheric picture of the four loco special returning to Bo'ness.

post-10324-0-96880000-1541425210.jpg

And we met up with our group secretary of the ScRSG (the Alloa mob) acting as the Guard on the Caley special for the day.

post-10324-0-10134000-1541425590_thumb.jpg

Guard Cowie waiting for the stragglers.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 4